To be honest, I'm glad it's not just a guitar/bass/drums setup for the entire album. Some bands do it well, but IMO Muse is not one of those bands. Variety suits them.

Yeah, it's also one of the reasons Muse is among my favorite bands - their ability to span a multitude of styles is quite awesome.

But master none of them.

This is my biggest bugbear with Muse. They experiment (great!) at the detriment to the quality of the finished piece (boo!).

That's exactly where OoS triumphs. It is experimental in places, but it's consistent, balanced, structured, controlled and cohesive.

Same could be said of Absolution too and, to an extent, BH&R. I think without a producer the past two albums, they're got lost in spurious ideas too often.

A producer will hopefully give this album some direction. I hate to bring Radiojead into this, but working long-term with Nigel Godrich is one of the main reasons they have been consistently good, despite shifting between styles, genres and instrumentation.

You lost me at Radiohead being "consistently good." They are awful and such an overrated band in my opinion! Never understood the whole Muse are trying to be Radiohead thing. Completely different bands.

Anyways...

The strings could be good, they could be like what we've heard the last two albums...we will see...

To be honest, I'm glad it's not just a guitar/bass/drums setup for the entire album. Some bands do it well, but IMO Muse is not one of those bands. Variety suits them.

They have been quite diverse even when they're only using the basic set-up. I was hoping that the direction they were stating at the start would lead to more creative playing / uses of the guitar/drums/bass. I would have preferred for them to concentrate on those core instruments (for a change) than going down the same route of the past two albums or so of garnishing everything with strings/orchestra etc.. Plus, it always makes for a diluted experience live as they don't tour with strings.

But maybe there's only one or two songs with the strings on a fairly rock album and it might even be the best on the album. I just hope they at least do something more rock orientated than the last two albums.

i like what i hear, even though it's such a short clip.

We can't really tell what it will be used for, maybe it will be in a song but very short and/or low in the mix.

maybe it's a prelude kind of song, maybe it's one of the 2 slower songs on the album.

Don't think we can judge that much, but i feel like this will be only used for 1 song and nothing more. most albums always have that 1 song that is bit more different from the rest. i'm not saying that all the songs are the same, but just a different ''feel'' of a song compared to the ''feel'' of the others.

You lost me at Radiohead being "consistently good." They are awful and such an overrated band in my opinion! Never understood the whole Muse are trying to be Radiohead thing. Completely different bands.

Anyways...

The strings could be good, they could be like what we've heard the last two albums...we will see...

When you make 2 of the best albums of the last 20 years, you can't be overrated.

I can't get into this at the moment, because the beginning reminded me a bit of Canon, and even though it sounds nothing like it I can't stop hearing the association...

To be fair, can anyone really 'get into' about 10 seconds of isolated strings?

Archived