But... Muse's use of strings is usually better when used as backing... like in the two fantastic songs you just listed...

Those songs are amazing indeed. But I like when Muse does things that sound like movie sound tracks. I love Exo and the string sections of both T2L tracks. Feel like I need something like that for every album now. Not the whole album just one song. That or Bellamy needs to do a solo project or a full film score soon.

This is what I'm hoping for. I liked the use of strings and synth to use of guitars and heavy basslines ratio on BH&R tbh

All depends on how it's used really, TaB is heavily electronic but still maintains the sound Muse had established to that point: arpeggiated synth, big basslines, classically influenced progressions. Compare to something like Survival, which brings in choir and uses it to drive much of the song, or Unsus which starts off good, builds into wanky "dubstep" etc.

All depends on how it's used really, TaB is heavily electronic but still maintains the sound Muse had established to that point: arpeggiated synth, big basslines, classically influenced progressions. Compare to something like Survival, which brings in choir and uses it to drive much of the song, or Unsus which starts off good, builds into wanky "dubstep" etc.

You kidding me? The choir doesn't drive the song in Survival. Survival is literally the best written track on that album, next to Animals.

Anyway, making another post for this. Let's take a look back at the BH&R pre-release theories, shall we? Here are some of the highlights:

Stripped-down

In the NME in September, Matt said that they would try and be less bombastic on the next album. Instead, he wanted stripped-down and more minimal and exposed as a three-piece band. This could be a return to the good old Showbiz days.

Citizen Erased II

One song has been described by Matt in an interview as a seven-minute progressive, arpeggiated nightmare. Notice the word, arpeggiated. This means that we could have a much lighter version of Citizen Erased, mixed with Bliss and the piano arpeggio in Stockholm Syndrome. Incidentally, in the NME in December, Matt said there was a song that is even more bombastic than Butterflies & Hurricanes. Matt’s recent board posting suggests a high chance for a song with ‘the cycling endlessly key-changing inferno’.

Here's my personal favourite:

Upbeat

Matt has said that the new album will also be much more upbeat than the apocalyptic sound of Absolution. Matt said to MTV, "[Depression] is the beginner's emotion. I find it more of a challenge to explore different sides of your personality apart from just the downside". He is also trying to channel his emotion into writing new songs with a positive vibe, looking to "draw on things like optimism and hope".

You kidding me? The choir doesn't drive the song in Survival. Survival is literally the best written track on that album, next to Animals.

The studio version is most definitely driven by choir. Whether it need be or not is another story; it is prominent for the first half of the song and the ending.

Here's my personal favourite:

Upbeat

Matt has said that the new album will also be much more upbeat than the apocalyptic sound of Absolution. Matt said to MTV, "[Depression] is the beginner's emotion. I find it more of a challenge to explore different sides of your personality apart from just the downside". He is also trying to channel his emotion into writing new songs with a positive vibe, looking to "draw on things like optimism and hope".

Did Black Holes actually feature one positive song? :LOL:

Yeah see Take a Bow is a sound i'm fine with, as is Survival if they do it right and don't take it too seriously, but like has been said before *i think by Clunge just up there ^* things like the sound of Survival become too much when they do it too often, so i wouldn't be unhappy to not have a song with that sound again

Citizen Erased II

One song has been described by Matt in an interview as a seven-minute progressive, arpeggiated nightmare. Notice the word, arpeggiated. This means that we could have a much lighter version of Citizen Erased, mixed with Bliss and the piano arpeggio in Stockholm Syndrome. Incidentally, in the NME in December, Matt said there was a song that is even more bombastic than Butterflies & Hurricanes. Matt’s recent board posting suggests a high chance for a song with ‘the cycling endlessly key-changing inferno’.

That one is such a classic.

"arpeggios"

"omg must mean the song is a mix between CE, Bliss and Stockholm Syndrome"

One song has been described by Matt in an interview as a seven-minute progressive, arpeggiated nightmare. .... Incidentally, in the NME in December, Matt said there was a song that is even more bombastic than Butterflies & Hurricanes. Matt’s recent board posting suggests a high chance for a song with ‘the cycling endlessly key-changing inferno’.

Out of interest, is this the most accurate Matt has ever been about an upcoming album song?

Did Black Holes actually feature one positive song? :LOL:

I don't think positive lyrics were necessarily implied here. BH&R had plenty of other less pensive themes going on, political statements, sci-fi, lust etc. I find it interesting as it gives you an idea of his songwriting goals, what he was thinking throughout the last few albums, maybe the band's departure from angsty introspection has been deliberate.

From Matt's descriptions it seems like the next album is going to address ecopsychological principles. This is nothing new, it sits plausibly with the concepts of ecological collapse and human-influenced planetary destruction introduced over the last two albums. Regardless of whether or not album seven represents a return to the band's old style of music, I would say it's ill-advised to expect the same of Matt's lyrics.

Archived