It's not fair to say people aren't giving it enough credit just because it's to your taste.

Is this all just opinions or isn't it?

I would argue that on a technical level, there's nothing wrong with it, making it not a shit song, but rather a song that isn't to everyone's taste.

I think we had a thread for "has Muse made a technically shit song" before, though, and I can't be assed to look. :LOL:

And it was fabulous live, and that's not even just an opinion. :phu:

Pics or it didn't happen :ninja:

Maybe after I quit my job.

I'm sure that pervert in my office would love to show that pic to my boss...

no way, it sucks. It just sounds like an imitation of all the electronic artists that you hear in the mainstream nowadays, and it really, really suffers because of it it

Yeah, I think this might be why I don't like it as well. It's just so generic that I find it unbelievably boring, both on the album and live.

I would argue that on a technical level, there's nothing wrong with it, making it not a shit song, but rather a song that isn't to everyone's taste.
And how exactly would you judge what's right or wrong on a technical level?

I like Follow Me a lot. I don't get what's to dislike really. The only bit that irks me is how Matt sings the intro, it's too pantomime for me. It makes me cringe a bit. Otherwise, it's great. The drop is fun, the vocals are ace, and the second up-tempo drop is even cooler.

I don't think it translates that well live personally, not bad, but not spectacular and I wouldn't mourn it if it was gone come the next tour. But a solid song in the T2L cycle, up there with Supremacy, Panic Station, Survival, Animals, Liquid State.

I think that's my lasting memory of T2L - good, but not spectacular. Nothing too offensive, but nothing absolutely mindblowing.

I think we had a thread for "has Muse made a technically shit song" before, though, and I can't be assed to look. :LOL:

And yes there was. The only thing that came out of that thread were people saying "This is bad because the chord progression makes it poppy" or "This is bad because it's generic".

Then there were the more general arguments saying that you could judge music technically, but not a single person could prove why one technical aspect was better than another. Why 5/4 is better than 4/4 or the other way around.

It's all fucking opinions.

5/4 is better cause it evaluates to a larger number of course.
But 4/4 is easier to calculate, and 1 is faster to type and say than 1.25, and it's less numbers to remember. And it's an easier number to calculate further with.

Now, do we go for size or simplicity?

But 4/4 is easier to calculate, and 1 is faster to type and say than 1.25, and it's less numbers to remember. And it's an easier number to calculate further with.

Now, do we go for size or simplicity?

But in the end the value is greater which is what matters. Simplicity doesn't matter cause everyone has calculators these days.

8/8 is better than 4/4.

Reduced fractions. Denominator >= 2.

But is a greater value always objectively better? A greater value of dead people?

A greater value is objectively greater than a lesser value. You could count death as also subtracting the number of living people, which would make it a lesser value. But there is no complement for time signatures.

A greater value is objectively greater than a lesser value. You could count death as also subtracting the number of living people, which would make it a lesser value. But there is no complement for time signatures.

Yes of course it is. But the question is if greater equals better, which is what you said.

And exactly, which is why the specifics of the value(what we have a value of) is important when determining whether or not the quality increases with the value. Ergo, why is a greater value in time signature objectively better?

Yes of course it is. But the question is if greater equals better, which is what you said.

And exactly, which is why the specifics of the value(what we have a value of) is important when determining whether or not the quality increases with the value. Ergo, why is a greater value in time signature objectively better?

Great is a positive adjective. Greater means more great than standard great so a value that is considered greater is greater and holds more positive connotation than a value that is not as greater as the greater even if still great.

Great is a positive adjective. Greater means more great than standard great so a value that is considered greater is greater and holds more positive connotation than a value that is not as greater as the greater even if still great.

But semantics often change due to pragmatics. For example a sarcastic tone may have an impact on the positive semantic meaning of the word "great".

And like you said, you could count death as also subtracting the number of living people. This means that whether or not something is better is entirely dependent on the point of view of the person overseeing the facts. Therefore it is subjective.

And like you said, you could count death as also subtracting the number of living people. This means that whether or not something is better is entirely dependent on the point of view of the person overseeing the facts. Therefore it is subjective.

But I mentioned time signatures are not made in a way where such a complement can be made. The value is an absolute and measurable.

d.74-6850.jpg

If there is ever a need to compile the above debate, this will be the cover of the book.

I actually would like it if Muse tried to dabble with time signatures again. Not in a math rock-ish way, more towards a heavier sound like how they did Supremacy's bridge. I personally thought this elevated T2L a bit in the songwriting department.

I will say that with all this "raring to go on album 7" and random studio pics, if this album still comes out late 2015, I'm going to be damn burned out by then. :twitchy:

I think it will come out earlier. They didn't seem to talk about writing songs or anything until after R/L 2011 to my recollection. They've been talking about the next album since last July or something this time.

I like Follow Me a lot. I don't get what's to dislike really. The only bit that irks me is how Matt sings the intro, it's too pantomime for me. It makes me cringe a bit. Otherwise, it's great. The drop is fun, the vocals are ace, and the second up-tempo drop is even cooler.

The lyrics and instrumentals. Hate them both.

Archived