I'd definitely like some more drawn-out instrumental sections in a few songs- they've tended to be quite brief in that regard.

Agreed. Hearing a band jam for an outro of a song isn't too bad either. Muse have shown their capability of coming up with great jams live, I really don't mind having one on the album so long as it remains an integral part of the whole record.

The issue for me with extended bridges, intrumental bits is that they often feel ...wankerish, sonically. I'm not too keen on prog, even if I do like the prog-lite thing Muse has going on in certain songs. They are still pop/rock songs at heart, just with some embellishments.

Re:completely instrumental songs: I really like IS, and I think it was mostly done right production-wise, but I still see it more as an interlude between the actual songs, rather than a song itself. I guess that is because for me it's easier to connect with the sound of a human voice than just instruments. :confused:

Take Oceansize. Many proggy instrumentals in their songs, 0 wanking :awesome:

There are plenty of bands who can pull it off without wankery (OK, maybe the likes of Mastodon don't, but theirs is epic wankery :chuckle:), I think Muse are entirely capable of it. Plus, I wasn't thinking that every song on an album should be like this. I'm thinking more along the lines of Origin with its epics, or something like Kyuss or Soundgarden's albums. Actually, Blues for the Red Sun is a great example of a band mixing concise, accessible (for its genre) rockers with instrumentals and drawn-out bridges.

Honestly, I haven't listened to any of those bands except maybe in passing so I can't really comment on them.

I think muse are more likely to be boring or sappy than they are to be wanky.

There are some very wanky moments like end of Survival and US middle section (even if I think the latter is good wanky) but I think in large part Muse have stayed away from the it. It's actually quite surprising that for such an overblown band for some reason they have so far mostly stayed away from that type of excess. Then again Matt named "Best of Queen" as his favourite "prog album" once...

There are some very wanky moments like end of Survival and US middle section (even if I think the latter is good wanky) but I think in large part Muse have stayed away from the it. It's actually quite surprising that for such an overblown band for some reason they have so far mostly stayed away from that type of excess. Then again Matt named "Best of Queen" as his favourite "prog album" once...

The Survival riffing is awesome imo, and the US middle section is either pretty nice or boring depending on my mood.

I would link you an Oceansize song but I think it would be counter-productive tbh :LOL:

I actually went to check this out. It's funny how your way of playing this inside joke is by simply implying or stating that you're in the band.

Such wit.

Read back Fabris posts. It was in his boat as I remember correctly. It will take a year because he's so active.

Archived