please don't give them a reason to doubt their judgment because they can get pretty nasty and trigger-happy. :erm:

Y'wut? :erm:. The mods here are ace.

But srsly y'all, let's not get into having this thread closed between albums like last time. That was pretty pathetic.

Don't care. Polished rock can be good. I just want it to be coherent, or even better,progressive.

Actually progressive or the kind of stuff that was progressive in the 70s and has thus been decided to be progressive forever?

/beef stirrer

I guess I'm saying that I'd prefer something that sounded more loose and with energy then something that might sound a bit too tight and manipulated? Does that make sense?

I hear ya, and I'm sure most people agree.

I'm not actually that fussed about the album being "raw" in the the rock-oriented sense, especially if that means it's going to be something in the lines of LS, their most straighforward rock song of last album. I wouldn't mind some great rock tracks, though. The main hope for me is that Muse release something with an actual human connection and emotion and yes, scaling back the production. I think for 2TL Madness and Animals had that the most, subsequently and not surprisingly my favourite tracks on the album, and neither were raw or edgy.

EDIT: I feel shame for forgetting Save me, it obviously was a very lovely song as well and felt emotionally very honest, I just didn't care for the song itself or its sound, which felt too alien for Muse.

Actually progressive or the kind of stuff that was progressive in the 70s and has thus been decided to be progressive forever?

/beef stirrer

Either, just music characterised by progression, development as well as reprise, and a concept to wrap it all together.

I'd like to see them try more instrumental stuff. It should challenge them to make it more musically interesting to keep the listener's attention. I mean, I can listen to an entire Russian Circles and not get bored once, surely Muse could do that for one or two songs.

Makes sense if Muse songs indeed are composed on a piano. If the melody is strong enough it'll work without vocals.

I was actually watching Exogenesis piano covers on Youtube today (NB- surprisingly couldn't find any of all the three parts performed by one person) and was surprised how well they worked just as beautiful piano melodies without any vocals, guitar, strings and whatnot.

I'm not personally a huge fan of instrumental tracks on albums, though.

I'm not personally a huge fan of instrumental tracks on albums, though.

It depends how it's done, to be honest. For instance, Triad is a great closer on Lateralus (I know it's not technically the closer, but whatever), whereas Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is a pretty dull opener on the album of the same name, despite being a decent piece by its own merits. I think instrumental tracks require more careful placing.

I'd like to see them try more instrumental stuff. It should challenge them to make it more musically interesting to keep the listener's attention. I mean, I can listen to an entire Russian Circles and not get bored once, surely Muse could do that for one or two songs.

I think a lot of Muse's songs are very strong instrumentally. That said, I'd like some more complex songs, extended bridges or even instrumental tracks.

I guess I'm saying that I'd prefer something that sounded more loose and with energy then something that might sound a bit too tight and manipulated? Does that make sense?

I can respect both sorts. A really tight band can have plenty of energy- many bands from Lamb of God to Russian Circles demonstrate that.

It depends how it's done, to be honest. For instance, Triad is a great closer on Lateralus (I know it's not technically the closer, but whatever), whereas Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is a pretty dull opener on the album of the same name, despite being a decent piece by its own merits. I think instrumental tracks require more careful placing.

It all varies from band to band, and even album to album. Call of Cthulu worked superbly as a closer on Ride the Lightning, but on Master of Puppets it feels right that Orion is only the penultimate track.

Archived