Too many glaringly obvious influences in one album?

Gareeh

I dislike the obvious influences, it took away do much out of their unique sound that the album was rather hard to relieve to be Muse, I do think it's a somewhat well-made and definitely enjoyable album but it is an absolute compilation of styles with "Musey" twists >\\\>

I guess it comes down to whether you like the bands that they're influenced by, fortunately I'm a fan of Queen, U2, Rage Against The Machine, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Buckley, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer.. did I miss any? But if you're not a fan of their sound then obviously when Muse adopt it you may be put off a bit

But I do honestly think that the songs still have that muse twist in the composition, so no I don't think it takes away from the album :)

There are obvious influences on the album but it still has the Muse stamp and that's fine by me because how many bands these days aren't influenced by past sounds? Let's face it, music is an age old part of life and trends usually go full circle

Muse are always experimenting, trying new things and that's pretty much what prog rock music is about - progression

I've been educating my boyfriend with my Muse collection and whilst I take something different from every album he commented on how he much prefers their newer stuff. As a musician himself I guess he's listening with a different ear to me.

I love how Muse constantly surprise us and that's what makes them stand out from other bands. Why would we want another Stockholm Syndrome, Bliss, Knights of Cydonia etc on newer albums? We have those songs already and you can't improve on perfection :)

Archived