Too many glaringly obvious influences in one album?

Gareeh

Guest bellamylookalike

Liquid State is Foos, QOTSA, KYUSS, Helmet, surely.

With regard to this thread, I'm sure what Matt said on radio 4 the other day (yesterday?) has been discussed; that on BHaR he didn't know where to go, that they'd hit the creative wall as it were.

Tubular Bells is one of my favorite songs of all time, so when I heard Isolated System was going to sound like it I was excited. When I first heard the song, my reaction was: "wait, this doesn't sound like it at all." I guess it might have a similar timbre, but it's not nearly as relentless and isn't melodically similar either.

Since Muse have earned a copycat reputation (in part completely justifiably), it seems whatever they do now gets inspected with real scrutiny to point out bands/songs they "clearly rip off". No one can exist in a vacuum, and you can find a similarities with any song in the world with another, already existing song. Or someone's instrument playing style. Or style of production. On The 2nd law some things are shockingly obviously borrowed from other acts. However, I think it's quite unfair to claim Tubular Bells somehow is a "glaringly obvious influence" on Isolated System, for example.

The only songs that sound "Musey," in my opinion, are Supremacy, Animals, and maybe, Survival (as it progresses).

All of those songs still have influences, but for me, do not detach me from the fact I'm listening to Muse. However, songs like Big Freeze, Panic Station, and Madness are so in-your-face with musical influences and references, that it sort of spoils the experience. Panic Station is growing on me, but still doesn't feel like a Muse song, more like I'm listening to Muse cover Michael Jackson, Prince and RHCP. I don't understand the comparisons people have made with Panic Station and SBH in other threads.

Yes and the U2 influence in Big Freeze is actually just the tip of the iceberg. They're ripping the shit off from literature/movie agenda as well by using the "Destroying something beautiful" meme from Fight Club.

Not to mention TR, the whole thing is based on a fucking novel.

The world is just full of innocent influences for someone impudent, someone like Muse to highjack.

Better call Tyler Durden for a second opinion.

:p

But what they meant is that they went to see him live, and noticed how energy his music has in a live setting, and they wanted to replicate that kind of music (= the whole genre) with guitar-bass-drums. They didn't mean "we heard him and we thought "let's copy him but with guitars! :awesome:"

There are some tinges of Skrillex's throat bass in it though.

I don't know if I'd say too many influences is a bad thing. I really like the album, though I admit that it's not super original.

It's funny that you mention you and your dad were talking about this -- my dad and I had an almost identical conversation about this the other day! :LOL: He was being much more critical than I was (He actually likes a few of the tracks though) and when our rundown of the album was over, he goes "I'm pretty sure the most original thing they have on that album is 'Animals'... and even that's not original!" I asked him what he meant and he goes "Sounds a lot like their older stuff... they're even ripping off themselves!" :LOL: I love my dad, and the fact that he's also a Muse fan :p /Tangent that was still kind of on-topic

I think this song sounds similar to X =/= they used X as inspiration

I wish people could understand this

For fucks sake, yes, this.

And am I the only one who thinks the entire album sounds musey? Yes, it has pretty blatant influences, but it still sounds more Muse then anyone else to me, with or without Matt's vocals.

For fucks sake, yes, this.

And am I the only one who thinks the entire album sounds musey? Yes, it has pretty blatant influences, but it still sounds more Muse then anyone else to me, with or without Matt's vocals.

Yeah totally. OK, it has obvious 'influences', but the over-riding sound is pure Muse to me. Jury's out for me with Chris' songs though...

Liquid State is about as Musey as any of the others if you ask me

Yeah. I think I need to listen to them a bit more to make a proper evaluation tbh. I've been listening to the album self-indulgently non-stop for 2 hours now so I will give them more time.

It's like saying an Oasis album is Oasisy despite the Beatles imitations.

Of course it has Muse written all over it, who said it didn't? They're the only band pompous enough to try all the Queen, Prince and U2 imitations so clearly.

Archived