Too many glaringly obvious influences in one album?

Gareeh

Unsustainable, Liquid State, Follow Me, Save Me, Animals and Isolated System (to an extent) have no "glaringly obvious influence"

Skrillex lol?

Follow Me okay, but it is Nero produced so we can't tell what it would have sounded like beforehand.

Isolated System - there is a few, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells the obvious one.

Only animals doesn't ring a bell directly.

The rest definitely does, especially Isolated System. It rings a massive tubular bell.

Ok it's twinkling piano, but when the songs starts to build is not that similar anymore.

And Unsustainable is similar to Zimmer, but is that influence comparable to those in Panic Station and/or Madness?

And Follow Me? Just 30stm or Bono for the vocals in the ending?

Save Me? Porcupine Tree? Not THAT similar.

Liquid State? QOTSA? Same as above.

Ok it's twinkling piano, but when the songs starts to build is not that similar anymore.

And Unsustainable is similar to Zimmer, but is that influence comparable to those in Panic Station and/or Madness?

And Follow Me? Just 30stm or Bono for the vocals in the ending?

Save Me? Porcupine Tree? Not THAT similar.

Liquid State? QOTSA? Same as above.

I don't hear direct influences on Chris' songs, just similarities in style and voice. Pretty much every other song is an obvious attempt to sound like someone else or has certain elements and melodies that I can't place outside the context of the song or artist that inspired it.

I quote Muse: 'We took inspiration from Skrillex'

?

But what they meant is that they went to see him live, and noticed how energy his music has in a live setting, and they wanted to replicate that kind of music (= the whole genre) with guitar-bass-drums. They didn't mean "we heard him and we thought "let's copy him but with guitars! :awesome:"

But what they meant is that they went to see him live, and noticed how energy his music has in a live setting, and they wanted to replicate that kind of music (= the whole genre) with guitar-bass-drums. They didn't mean "we heard him and we thought "let's copy him but with guitars! :awesome:"

You do know that's pretty much the case with every mentioned artists

I'm not going to argue about Skrillex's influence on Unsustainable

Not to mention Tool, Wagner, Chopin, QOTSA/Kyuss, Deftones, Jeff Buckley, System of a Down, Justice (since BH&R, along with Depeche Mode), U2 (ballsy, experimental early 90s U2 that is)...

Look, Muse have always thrown a hundred or so influences into their albums and they pull it off with enough wit and originality to justify it. Better than how plenty of bands just take one influence and use it for a single song.

Everyone has influences, whether people consider they're subtle or not. The fallacy of actual ''originality'' (whenever it's not preceded by technological advancements) in music is as big as that of literature, Borges would say. I didn't think they have ripped off Queen or Rachmaninov back then just because they're there on OOS.

Better than how plenty of bands just take one influence and use it for a single song.

Lol Oasis :LOL:. That i can respect from Muse. Eclecticism, that's the difference between the good artists and the greatest artists. At least they didn't try to repeat themselves with another OOS.

Skrillex lol?

Follow Me okay, but it is Nero produced so we can't tell what it would have sounded like beforehand.

Isolated System - there is a few, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells the obvious one.

Tubular Bells is one of my favorite songs of all time, so when I heard Isolated System was going to sound like it I was excited. When I first heard the song, my reaction was: "wait, this doesn't sound like it at all." I guess it might have a similar timbre, but it's not nearly as relentless and isn't melodically similar either.

Hmmm bit different than extremely obvious U2, Queen and Paul McCartney rip-offs. Rachmaninov was an influence, these are imitations.

Plus the Rachmaninov effort was one of a couple of influences on the album, not one out of twenty.

Rachmaninoff is the one artist you could say Muse have ripped off, to be honest, as they've wholesale lifted big chunks of the 2nd Concerto's harmonic/melodic line to use as the basis for their songs on several occasions. I mean, not just similar - but the same. Maybe transposed.

Not a weakness ftr, as these songs are actually generally amongst their best for me. They should do it more often, if anything.

EDIT: Having said that, the counterargument is that this isn't really "ripping off" as Muse weren't trying to sound like Rachmaninoff (obviously) - they were just strongly inspired by him.

Tubular Bells is one of my favorite songs of all time, so when I heard Isolated System was going to sound like it I was excited. When I first heard the song, my reaction was: "wait, this doesn't sound like it at all." I guess it might have a similar timbre, but it's not nearly as relentless and isn't melodically similar either.

My first thought was Ashtray Wasp by Burial.

My first thought was Ashtray Wasp by Burial.

Haha, really? Don't hear it. I mean, I adore it, but I'm not hearing it.

EDIT: Oh I guess the whole off-beat emphasis thing is kinda reminiscent, if I think about it hard enough...

EDIT2: I guess the fact that they're almost the same tempo also counts...

EDIT3: Oh wow now I really can hear it. Wow, I never even thought of that - I didn't expect the tempos to be so similar. That's really quite neat.

Archived