Lack of a 2nd Law

Mitton

Am I the only one who feels that there is next to nothing relating thermodynamics on this album? Matt said that's what the album was written around and the only songs that really touch on it are Unsustainable and Isolated System :rolleyes:

I don't see why the album was entitled The 2nd Law when there's two songs related to it.

Am I the only one who feels that there is next to nothing relating thermodynamics on this album? Matt said that's what the album was written around and the only songs that really touch on it are Unsustainable and Isolated System :rolleyes:

Well, it's obvious he didn't mean to talk about thermodynamics as is. He meant to take the concept and apply it where is seemed to somehow fit (on economy, enviromental issues derived from economic exploitation of natural resources). I would at the very least least include Animals (economy based on growth not being sustainable), Exlorers (about living on a destroyed planet), Survival (life being a race againts other people/life as a competition for means)...the themes are discussed. Honestly, I haven't paid enough attention to the lyrics just yet to point out other songs.

Well, it's obvious he didn't mean to talk about thermodynamics as is. He meant to take the concept and apply it where is seemed to somehow fit (on economy, enviromental issues derived from economic exploitation of natural resources). I would at the very least least include Animals (economy based on growth not being sustainable), Exlorers (about living on a destroyed planet), Survival (life being a race againts other people/life as a competition for means)...the themes are discussed. Honestly, I haven't paid enough attention to the lyrics just yet to point out other songs.

I don't really feel like the lyrics convey the whole 2nd Law theme though.

I don't really feel like the lyrics convey the whole 2nd Law theme though.

I don't know how interesting it would be to have every track talk about the theme in a very concrete manner. That being said, theme albums rarely work, imo. Especially when you have straightforward relationship/personal issues songs there too, it just makes the whole theme album thing a bit pointless.

I don't really think of this as a theme album, tbh, just "oh some songs about issues Matt is worried about, coupled with relationship songs"...nothing new here.

I really don't know why people expect everything to be concrete and spelt out. It's a concept. You need to use your imagination a bit.

I would love to hear your theory on how Matt combined love and relationships into an album that was supposedly about thermodynamics, energy etc.

Go ahead.

Muse's album titles don't always have much representation lyrically on the album. Their first 3 albums are examples. Showbiz and Absolution are only mentioned by a song title. Very similar to this situation is the Origin of Symmetry album. Matt was very interested in a book called Hyperspace by Michio Kaku, in which the author mentioned the "Origin of Symmetry". Nothing on that album mentions or is related to the "Origin of Symmetry".

I think there are lots of ways one can convey a concept, it doesn't always have to be lyrics.

I got crap for it, but I think song placement on the album is part of the increasing entropy concept. In general, the second half is slower, seems to have less energy than the first half.

And, also, I think there is a credible point in the idea that entire albums don't need to fit with a stated concept. Especially when we are talking about Matt, who I tend to think can be muddled and ADD riddled anyway.

I think there are lots of ways one can convey a concept, it doesn't always have to be lyrics.

I got crap for it, but I think song placement on the album is part of the increasing entropy concept. In general, the second half is slower, seems to have less energy than the first half.

And, also, I think there is a credible point in the idea that entire albums don't need to fit with a stated concept. Especially when we are talking about Matt, who I tend to think can be muddled and ADD riddled anyway.

Not exactly a non sensical theory you have there. Don't see why you were slated for it, but welcome to the Muse forums I guess :rolleyes:

There's your answer.

Typical Matt though. He talks out of his ass about some topic he's loosely interested in, and then you're lucky if even half the album actually fits that theme.

Yes and yes :LOL:

Matt is like an idea magpie. He'll grab concepts he thinks are shiny and incorporate them without any real deep consideration for them.