Maybe in their twisted minds they loved the album, but because they write on those sites they had to pretend they hated it. But still, they tried to make it sound interesting.

That's exactly what it seems like!

Came back to add an important one:

Rolling Stone US (3.5/5 which may as well be 5 star for them given all their past Muse hate):

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/the-2nd-law-20121002

Sorry to sour things with the only negative review from a major publication (The Sunday Times):

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/music/pop_and_rock/article1134585.ece

Dud of the week

Muse — The 2nd Law

Warners 2564656879

The least absorbing of their six albums, Muse’s latest is a retread rather than an advance, mining all-too-familiar seams: musically, prog, Queen, the Bond and Doctor Who themes, and trusty Rachmaninov, with a closing conceptual suite; lyrically, the old favourites of apocalypse, global warming and shady global conspiracies. In the absence of a statement single à la Supermassive Black Hole, it is the subtler, more pastoral tracks such as Explorers that truly engage. The suite conjures up Skrillex, Rick Wakeman and Tubular Bells, and Chris Wolstenholme’s two songs about his battle with drink are the only genuinely affecting moments on a mess of an album. DC

They hear Rachmaninov and the Doctor Who theme in there somewhere?

"Supremacy," is a deranged fusion of prog-metal riffs, cat-in-heat screeches, James Bond dynamics -- and is that a bloody Mexican trumpet?

:LOL:

They do, however, confirm that Muse gets away with whatever it chooses to get away with. That in itself is reason for a grudging admiration

nice review. the Pitchfork one was hilarious btw.

"MUSE GOES DUBSTEP!!!" created a minor firestorm, albeit one that was containable because it was utterly predictable. Of course Muse fans would storm the YouTube comment section with bloodthirsty vengeance. However you think Muse fits into the lineage of Queen or Rush musically, they've benefited greatly from establishing themselves as a last bastion of technically boastful and very popular prog-rock that's always implicitly held unkind attitudes toward synthesizer-based music.

It's funny cause it's true.

I don't think the Pitchfork review completely hit the mark for all points, though.

Wait, this is Muse we're talking about, right? Hear me out, because the first half of The 2nd Law does indeed indicate that Muse have absolutely no interest whatsoever in staying within the boundaries of good taste. For about 45 seconds of "Supremacy", they actually sound like a real band, immediately after which hushed military snare rolls, chesty timpanis, and anticipatory string wells lead you to believe Matt Bellamy has unwittingly sauntered into a Michael Bay movie or Metallica's symphonic tragicomedy S&M.

Is this supposed to be ironic or...?

So what the hell happens? As you might be able to tell from song titles like "Save Me" and "Follow Me", Muse's insatiable quest for sonic largesse is anchored by an equally consumptive messianic streak. This in and of itself isn't much of a problem, seeing as how Muse do create superhero music.

Seeing as one of the songs is about one's son and the other about dealing with alcoholism and thanking one's wife and family, saying the songs are messianic superhero music seems...completely unfair. Those are the most personal songs on the album and don't build on the superhero/space rock angle. Pitchfork reviewer needs to do his research more properly.

Bellamy's too damn sincere about the fate of the planet to go full-leotard, leaving no space for any humor, sex, or any escapism, really.

Okay...?

"Animals" and "Explorers" are anti-topical enough to leave something to the imagination, but it doesn't give you anything to work with either.

Except Animals is probably the most topical track on the album...

The problem is that it's not any fun at all, and the "message" feels like an unnecessary overcompensation for the campy streak that draws people into this kind of comic-book stuff in the first place

Again, okay...

A review for a review...how meta:awesome:

Even Pitchfork hardly mentioned Radiohead in their review, and had a much better review overall.

Actually I think Pitchfork quite likes Muse since TR. :happy:

And I read a German amateur review with the headline: Muse - The Black Eyed Peas of Alternative Rock

2/5

Should I link it? (Probably not, because it's German, but still very amusing to read :chuckle: )

Actually I think Pitchfork quite likes Muse since TR. :happy:

And I read a German amateur review with the headline: Muse - The Black Eyed Peas of Alternative Rock

2/5

Should I link it? (Probably not, because it's German, but still very amusing to read :chuckle: )

You can link it. A translation of it would be much appreciated if possible. :yesey:

Uhm, why did he mention megalomania instantly? Isn't this a review about The 2nd Law? :erm:

I've only skimmed through it because of how bad the review is written, but what I've read... wow I guess he doesn't like muse?

He does not mention megalomania, It's "Größenwahn" in Geman. He wants to insult Muse and fails to realize that Muse actually wrote a song about this.It's a non intented pun. :LOL:

And lol at the pretentious Bible qoute at the beginning.

Follow Me compared to Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Carly Rae Jepsen :stunned:

And for you Andrea Berg is a German Schlager music singer. Dieter Bohlen is a awful German pop music producer. Maybe you know Modern Talking. :chuckle:

I've only skimmed through it because of how bad the review is written, but what I've read... wow I guess he doesn't like muse?

Yes, hate is a very mild word. And yes the review is badly written. His phrasing is really weird and sometimes just awful, even in German.

Archived