The blatant borrowing is one thing all reviews seem to agree on, whether they appreciate it or not.

Not a bad review, it didn't mention radiohead.

A cursory glance at my notepad reveals that – Queen hits aside – I picked up references to INXS, the White Stripes, Radiohead and Led Zeppelin, Lloyd Webber musicals, Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No 1, Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive, Jean Michel Jarre’s use of bombastic choirs who sound like they’re singing from the rooftops of falling skyscrapers and Badfinger’s classic power ballad Without You

I still don't see what the big deal about Madness is, nor do I see how Panic Station is in any way prog, but hey.

The blatant borrowing is one thing all reviews seem to agree on, whether they appreciate it or not.

Not a bad review, it didn't mention radiohead.

I think what makes Muse's borrowing bit more obvious is that they're borrowing from many different genres and bands where most of modern indie acts borrow from one genre (basically 70s new york punk). and also, most indie bands' melodies are obscure. it's very difficult to identify the source of an obscure, indifferent melody. :p

the 2nd law may have some issues but, I swear, even its most generic track is more memorable than most of the stuff out there.

Archived