Matt Bellamy's voice has never been better

JoshXR

:LOL:

Okay, ignoring the fact that Matt's 5th octaves notes(which I'm guessing you're referring to when you say head voice) aren't belting in any way, what are you on about?

Matt's vocals have gradually improved by each album, and with The 2nd Law, possibly more than ever. He's not perfect technically, and definitely not among the best. But I don't think anyone here said he was either.

But seriously what is this "stuff in his voice" that is so cliche? And how the hell has he reached every limit to his voice if this album features more range than any other Muse album? Not to mention that it was on the TR tour that he started belting B4s, something he's never done before. I mean, compare the Bb4 in Feeling Good to the ones in Madness or Survival. He's improved a LOT. To say that he's explored every limit to his voice is ridiculous, especially since we've barely ever heard him use mixed voice.

He has these habits that get ridiculously annoying, like throwing his whole throat downwards when he makes a large jump in the head voice. It's on animals and I hate it, it's proper 'technique' but it's too apparent and its not meant to be heard. Vocal coaches teach it.

He also pulls his chin in live when doing it, which ruins his natural tone.

He has these habits that get ridiculously annoying, like throwing his whole throat downwards when he makes a large jump in the head voice. It's on animals and I hate it, it's proper 'technique' but it's too apparent and its not meant to be heard. Vocal coaches teach it.

He also pulls his chin in live when doing it, which ruins his natural tone.

Where in Animals does he use head voice? :erm:

Well I'm not looking for technical stuff as I don't know anything about it. So I couldn't give a toss about what the supposed correct way of singing is, because, to me, what matters is how it sounds which imo is rather lovely. As long as he can keep it up and doesn't damage his voice by singing incorrectly, I think he's doing okay. Well more than okay.

:erm: How is stating that 'Matt uses some silly, melodramatic vocal intonations' "guessing" something? It's an opinion.

How would you describe "Showbiz" (the song)?

Yeah, I agree, it's not guessing, it's just your opinion. What Gareeh means is that only Sippe agues with hard facts.

You say his vocal intonation on most of T2L is silly, I'd say he the "silly" intonation on some songs is intentional (e.g. Panic Station, Survival). And I like this songs, because of their the vocal delivery.

I played the second law for a couple of my friends recently. Some muse fans, some not so much, but there were a few points in the album where everyone in the room look over towards the speaker and laughed. Not in a good way. Matt's voice sounds great in some songs, but in he really seems to be trying too hard and forcing it, which sounds awful.

One of my friends likened it to the Dracula puppet opera from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. That's perhaps a little harsh, but he's getting there and when his voice is at it's worst, it's so uncomfortable for me to listen to. Perhaps just mine and my friend's opinion but I'm sure he could quite easily just sing the songs normally and if they're well written enough, the track won't suffer.

I played the second law for a couple of my friends recently. Some muse fans, some not so much, but there were a few points in the album where everyone in the room look over towards the speaker and laughed. Not in a good way. Matt's voice sounds great in some songs, but in he really seems to be trying too hard and forcing it, which sounds awful.

One of my friends likened it to the Dracula puppet opera from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. That's perhaps a little harsh, but he's getting there and when his voice is at it's worst, it's so uncomfortable for me to listen to. Perhaps just mine and my friend's opinion but I'm sure he could quite easily just sing the songs normally and if they're well written enough, the track won't suffer.

What songs are you talking about?

I have been lurking on these forums for a while, and I have read a lot of people complaining that Matt's voice has been going downhill for the last several years.

After listening to the live videos and studio recordings of The 2nd Law, all I have to say is that they couldn't be MORE WRONG! Matt's voice is so much more powerful that it used to be. His falsettos? Still great, maybe even fuller these days.

That is all :LOL::D

His vocal quality Live has improved a lot in my opinion. I'm so proud.

I agree.. Matt's voice still going strong. Luv him! :)

I think Matt's voice is better than ever, my only complaint is how he breaths out really obviously after every line (most annoying when the pitch drops along with it).

I've never noticed it before The 2nd Law but listening back, it's apparent in a lot of songs. I think it's more noticeable on T2L because of the high number of tracks with sections where the instrumental is bare and/or he's singing quite slowly (all of Matt's songs bar PS actually). The super crisp and clear way the vocals have been produced doesn't help.

Still, the exhaling is too exaggerated much for my liking.

Archived