Matt Bellamy's voice has never been better

JoshXR

I want to say as his voice has got more manly/deeper so has his singing but his talking voice has hardly changed from when he was 20 :LOL:

I will be very surprised/impressed if they don't play big freeze a step down live. Matt could either wimp out or hurt himself on those vocals though

It's not pretentious though since he IS as good as he makes himself out to be for once :>

Not really, the past two albums have been full of the type of stuff in his voice which became basically cliches years ago. It's cringworthy and you'd have to be extremely far up his rear-end to think he is a world class singer of any sort.

The only tone he does well anymore is the belted head voice and that is even getting annoying if it's done too often.

The point is he has explored every limit to his voice a long time ago and is basically has nothing left to give from it, which is why the vocals as well as the lyrics are getting worse as time goes on. Nothing new as far as vocals go.

Not really, the past two albums have been full of the type of stuff in his voice which became basically cliches years ago. It's cringworthy and you'd have to be extremely far up his rear-end to think he is a world class singer of any sort.

The only tone he does well anymore is the belted head voice and that is even getting annoying if it's done too often.

The point is he has explored every limit to his voice a long time ago and is basically has nothing left to give from it, which is why the vocals as well as the lyrics are getting worse as time goes on.

:LOL:

Okay, ignoring the fact that Matt's 5th octaves notes(which I'm guessing you're referring to when you say head voice) aren't belting in any way, what are you on about?

Matt's vocals have gradually improved by each album, and with The 2nd Law, possibly more than ever. He's not perfect technically, and definitely not among the best. But I don't think anyone here said he was either.

But seriously what is this "stuff in his voice" that is so cliche? And how the hell has he reached every limit to his voice if this album features more range than any other Muse album? Not to mention that it was on the TR tour that he started belting B4s, something he's never done before. I mean, compare the Bb4 in Feeling Good to the ones in Madness or Survival. He's improved a LOT. To say that he's explored every limit to his voice is ridiculous, especially since we've barely ever heard him use mixed voice.

Okay, ignoring the fact that Matt's 5th octaves notes(which I'm guessing you're referring to when you say head voice) aren't belting in any way, what are you on about?

Matt's vocals have gradually improved by each album, and with The 2nd Law, possibly more than ever. He's not perfect technically, and definitely not among the best. But I don't think anyone here said he was either.

But seriously what is this "stuff in his voice" that is so cliche? And how the hell has he reached every limit to his voice if this album features more range than any other Muse album? Not to mention that it was on the TR tour that he started belting B4s, something he's never done before. I mean, compare the Bb4 in Feeling Good to the ones in Madness or Survival. He's improved a LOT. To say that he's explored every limit to his voice is ridiculous, especially since we've barely ever heard him use mixed voice.

I hate to say it, but this.

But seriously what is this "stuff in his voice" that is so cliche?

Maybe they're talking about some of the vocal intonations that Matt's doing on the album? (although this wouldn't be the only album he's done stuff like that). He does tend to exaggerate with his voice, which certainly adds to the cheese factor. I haven't listened to most of the songson T2L in a while to give many specific examples, but in Animals he does this annoying tone drop between syllables in the words "Island" and "Ocean" in the phrases "Buy yourself and island" and "buy yourself an ocean".

For the entire song in Uprising, he drags the vocals slightly behind the beat, which is certainly a cheesy way of adding to the drama. :LOL:

Maybe it's that kind of stuff they're referring to?

In my voice lessons, we would call that lazy. Sliding up or dropping down to the intended note instead of hitting it head on, the first try.

It irritates me, I was taught never to do that. Only country singers do that. At least we don't have any irritating dipthongs from Matt. Yet. I hope that's not next.

There are some shining vocal moments on this album, like the end of Follow Me, the stuff on Unsustainable, pretty much all of Madness. But there's a lot crap vocal moments too...the ahhhs on Explorers, the beginning of Follow Me, and Animals...

@fabripav

Well I suppose that's subjective.

They go against my training. That doesn't always make something bad, but I can't get past those particular moments. Some things make me twitch. Cheesy, nasal, broadway musical aaaahhhh ahhhh ah ahhhhhhs are definately up there.

And, honestly, the tones in the beginning of Follow me and the "island" and "ocean" parts of Animals aren't bad, but I can't get past the sliding around.....

In my voice lessons, we would call that lazy. Sliding up or dropping down to the intended note instead of hitting it head on, the first try.

It irritates me, I was taught never to do that. Only country singers do that. At least we don't have any irritating dipthongs from Matt. Yet. I hope that's not next.

There are some shining vocal moments on this album, like the end of Follow Me, the stuff on Unsustainable, pretty much all of Madness. But there's a lot crap vocal moments too...the ahhhs on Explorers, the beginning of Follow Me, and Animals...

:erm: The way he sings Island or Ocean has nothing to do with being lazy. You know that it COULD just be an artistic choice? Why the hell would he need to do it for a low 4th octave note anyway? Isn't it around D3-Eb4?

So your suggestion is to always sustain notes?

It irritates me because I was taught not to do a slide into a note. It sounds unsure. I am sure it's just an artistic choice, but everytime I hear it I think of my voice instructor stopping the music and telling me to "sing like a woman, not a litle girl..."

Again. Subjective. I don't think Explorers or Follow Me are particularly good vocals, due to my experiences. He sounds like he's just written the melody and isn't sure where it's going yet....

It irritates me because I was taught not to do a slide into a note. It sounds unsure. I am sure it's just an artistic choice, but everytime I hear it I think of my voice instructor stopping the music and telling me to "sing like a woman, not a litle girl..."

Again. Subjective. I don't think Explorers or Follow Me are particularly good vocals, due to my experiences. He sounds like he's just written the melody and isn't sure where it's going yet....

So you never like it when someone slides in to a note, ever?

I wouldn't say that....because I haven't heard every note slide ever done.

But, yes, I notice it, and it makes me twitch. Even the really awesome slide up to falsetto on some versions of Bliss makes me go "Okay, Becky, relax, it's going to end up somewhere really beautiful, don't worry. take a deep breath":D

Sliding into a note is indeed an easier way to do it, but it sounds more like your teacher is just really, really anal. To avoid an easier way of doing things just because it's easier sounds like incredibly stupid thing to do. And I assure you that 99% of the world population doesn't think it has anything to do with determination or how "sure" they are. I'd say most singers in general do slides. And especially singers with wide ranges who like to showcase them. And if they're good at it, it sounds impressive as hell.

Is it done a lot by Matt, and I have just not noticed it before now?

Now I am feeling like I have to go and listen to the entire catalogue and justify every song I like that has a slide in it!!!:mad:

He doesn't do it that much in studio from what I can recall. But there's live versions of Bliss as you said, then Assassin, And if you're calling the thing he does in Animals a slide, then you might as well count pretty much every line he's ever sung that isn't just one note. MK Ultras "your mind's about to faaaaall" for example. Overture is filled with slides, along with most songs where he uses high falsetto.

It's even MORE than that on Animals with "Island" and "Ocean" though. He slides way below the intended note, and then slides back up into it. It sounds really cheesy.

Other than that, for the most part, I like the song.

Then there's the end of the lines in the verses of Micro Cuts, and the slides in the chorus. The ending of Showbiz, The slide up to the E5 in Shrinking Universe, all over Hyper Chondriac Music and the slides down to the lows on Spiral Static and the slides up to the highs at the end.

It's even MORE than that on Animals with "Island" and "Ocean" though. He slides way below the intended note, and then slides back up into it. It sounds really cheesy.

Other than that, for the most part, I like the song.

What the hell is the intended note?

People, the "slides" in Animals aren't even slides. They're part of a goddamn melody...where you occasionally have to sing different notes.

What the hell is the intended note?

People, the "slides" in Animals aren't even slides. They're part of a goddamn melody...where you occasionally have to sing different notes.

i just listened to the song again, and it's not as pronounced as I remembered. And I'm not even sure if it's "slides" that I'm referring to. It's something that's very difficult to describe. It's almost like an exaggerated intonation. I think it's something that Matt has probably always done, but maybe it's more noticeable now because his voice has deepened a bit. I dunno. I'm not complaining. :LOL:

I agree, it's not that I hate it, or it ruins the song, something in the execution of the notes reminds me of how it sounds to sight read...I can't explain it. There is a difference between exagerrated for effect type sliding like in Microcuts and the end of Bliss live, and the feeling that the singer might just not know exactly what the note is or where it's going...

Can't describe it. It doesn't necessarily kill the songs for me though. Just something I notice, takes away from the overall performance for me.

Archived