Matt Bellamy's voice has never been better

JoshXR

What's your point? :erm:

My point is that "Matt Bellamy's voice has never been better" is an untrue statement in my opinion.

I'm not talking about strength or range or any of that technical stuff, I'm talking about the way it actually sounds - the part that matters.

As another thought experiment, imagine the current cheesy operatic singing style that shows up all over this album in OOS or Absolution or even Black Holes. Do you really think it would be better?

Edit: just realized you were referencing my typo. I mean that's the reason the other albums are better than this one.

As another thought experiment, imagine the current cheesy operatic singing style that shows up all over this album in OOS or Absolution or even Black Holes. Do you really think it would be better?

Of course not, because those songs weren't meant to be as theatrical. But I also couldn't imagine Matt's Showbiz era whiny strained voice on Supremacy.

My point is that "Matt Bellamy's voice has never been better" is an untrue statement in my opinion.

I'm not talking about strength or range or any of that technical stuff, I'm talking about the way it actually sounds - the part that matters.

So your point is "Maybe his voice is objectively better but I don't like his voice now so it's not better"

Also, what's the point in thinking about how his voice nowadays would fit with 2001 songs?

No, because he song like that back when he was writing those songs. Now he sings the way he does for the songs he's writing now. Putting micro cuts vocals on Supremacy wouldn't make it better.

We can look at reading 2011 for that, and yes imo, most of the songs sounded better like that.

The cheesy opera sound that he somehow conveys on the album rarely shows up live (or it just works live - whereas it doesn't work on recorded music). I didn't get that vibe from the Reading 2011 set.

I'm pretty sure the songs off of this album are going to sound amazing live (as the E-Werk bootlegs hinted at).

No, because he song like that back when he was writing those songs. Now he sings the way he does for the songs he's writing now. Putting micro cuts vocals on Supremacy wouldn't make it better.

You all seem stuck on the idea that, "new songs sometimes call for new singing styles - and that's ok!" I completely agree with this! Sometimes new singing styles make new songs better than an old singing style would. Sometimes new singing styles are just different, but not inferior. I agree with all of this.

On the same token, sometimes new singing styles make new songs suck more than they would have if the new singing style wasn't adopted. This is what my opinion is.

His voice is better but he's gone back to doing the whiny stuff he did in Showbiz which annoys me. I think his voice in Uprising was the best, that song is just how I wish Matt would keep it.

That said his Lyrics are so bad in quite a few songs on this album and there isn't any real rock songs which is a shame.

OoS, Abs and Black Holes are still their best.

The cheesy opera sound that he somehow conveys on the album rarely shows up live (or it just works live - whereas it doesn't work on recorded music). I didn't get that vibe from the Reading 2011 set.

I'm pretty sure the songs off of this album are going to sound amazing live (as the E-Werk bootlegs hinted at).

Did you see Space Dementia at Reading? Its exactly what you're complaining about and I think it sounds amazing. Back in the OoS days Matt's voice at least on a technical level wasn't that great. It was pretty good for a rock singer, and he had a massive range but that was it. Now its great on all levels.

His voice is better but he's gone back to doing the whiny stuff he did in Showbiz which annoys me. I think his voice in Uprising was the best, that song is just how I wish Matt would keep it.

That said his Lyrics are so bad in quite a few songs on this album and there isn't any real rock songs which is a shame.

OoS, Abs and Black Holes are still their best.

Bh&R <3

That said his Lyrics are so bad in quite a few songs on this album.

I was going to create a thread about the lyrical content of this album and what everyone's favorites and least favorites were. I quite like the lyrics in most of the songs, but there are occasional ones that are just... :noey:

I was going to create a thread about the lyrical content of this album and what everyone's favorites and least favorites were. I quite like the lyrics in most of the songs, but there are occasional ones that are just... :noey:

Give me some examples of bad ones. Because I havent listened enough to start deciphering and looking up lyrics yet.

Give me some examples of bad ones. Because I havent listened enough to start deciphering and looking up lyrics yet.

"Embedded spies, brainwashing our

Children to be mean."

Once I hoped

To seek the new and unknown.

This planet’s overrun,

There’s nothing left for you or for me.

Don’t give in, we can

Walk through the fields

And feeling nature’s glow

But all the land is owned.

There’s none left for you or for me.

Who will win?

‘cause I concede.

Free me

Free me

Free me from this world.

I don’t belong here,

It was a mistake imprisoning my soul.

Can you free me,

Free me from this world.

A world lush and blue

With rivers running wild,

They’ll be re-routed south,

With none left for you or for me.

Don’t give in,

Hear the engines roar

And save our crops from drought.

But when the black gold’s in doubt,

There’ll be none left for you or for me.

Fuse helium-3, our last hope.

Free me

Free me

Free me from this world.

We don’t belong here,

It was a mistake imprisoning our souls.

Can you free me,

Free me from this world.

Free me

I’ll free you

Free us from this world.

We don’t belong here,

It was a mistake imprisoning our souls.

Can you free me,

Free me from this world.

Running around in circles feeling caged

By endless rules.

Can you free me, free me from this world.

Shh, Go to sleep.

"Feel me. Don’t let the sun in your heart decay."

"Don’t give up, don’t let the magic leave us.

We’re collapsing in stellar clouds of gas."

Saying that, I love the lyrics in Panic Station, Animals, Liquid State, and Save Me. Follow Me is decent as well, for writing about his son anyways. My favorites at the moment might be Animals, because it's just so classic Muse. It's aimed at bankers and corporate greed, really occupy like. The lyrics in Animals are just so relevant to the current political climate, I can relate because it's exactly how I feel as well.

links?

Agitated at MCM Cafe 99' about 1.20 or so into the song.

TIRO is hm, Sao Paulo or some other gig from the South American U2 support tour in 10'. It's the 'wohaho' after the first chorus.

Hyper Music is during the intro, barely audible in some recordings, at Leeds 11'.

I'm kinda dreading the songs where Chris sings lead vocals. I've never wanted anyone but Matt to sing lead vocals on a Muse song. Matt's voice is at least 50% of Muse's appeal, to me.

Yes, I should just listen to the damn album already.

Having finally heard the two songs where Chris sings, I have to say you dreading those songs is well -founded. Not that Chris is terrible or anything, but he's not as interesting a singer as Matt, and his voice on lead vocals doesn't sound anything like Muse to me.

Not that Chris is terrible or anything, but he's not as interesting a singer as Matt, and his voice on lead vocals doesn't sound anything like Muse to me.

That's exactly what I thought. When I heard the two songs he sings I thought I was listening to an entire different band.

I much much rather only listen to Matt as the lead singer. After all, that's one of the main reasons I loved Muse when I first heard them.

Archived