Best Album Opener

Peter.

Which album opener do you think is the best?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which album opener do you think is the best?

• Sunburn
    • New Born
    • Apocalypse Please
    • Take a Bow
    • Uprising
    • Supremacy

I've looked, but couldn't find something like this so...

Which of the 6 album openers so far do you think is the best? Please rate the songs not only as how good they are on their own, but also, how well they do in terms of setting off the album they're on.

New Born for me. I do think Supremacy works great as an opener though. Not too sure about it going straight into Madness though

I also think like this.

Supremacy is a very good opener but then goes straight into Madness... :rolleyes:

That doesn't happen with New Born

Technically isn't Apocalypse Please the second track on Absolution? Intro is the opener. ;)

1. New Born

2. Uprising

3. Sunburn

4. Supremacy

5. Take A Bow

6. Intro(/Apocalypse Please)

Judging them purely as openers and not songs. tbh I don't think any of them are particular great openers apart from New Born and Uprising.

Technically isn't Apocalypse Please the second track on Absolution? Intro is the opener. ;)

lol:LOL: where I live, we use the word "hairsplitter" for ppl like you:LOL: is it a valid term in English?

anyway, for me it is (strictly as openers):

Apocalypse Please

New Born

Uprising

Take a Bow

Sunburn

Supremacy

as songs, it would be:

Take a Bow

Supremacy

Apocalypse Please

Sunburn

New Born

Uprising

1. Take a Bow (Absolutely no doubt about it - EPIC in both opening and song terms)

2. New Born (Great song, but still a tad overrated, in my opinion)

3. Apocalypse Please (Pretty awesome start)

4. Sunburn (Memorable start)

5. Supremacy (It's okay, will probably grow on me)

6. Uprising (Most unpromising)

I want to say Supremacy just because it took me by surprise. It just gets you into it you know.

Also, TaB is more like an ending song to me. And Uprising was always the perfect starter. I couldn't picture it anywhere else on live setlists. I don't know what to think of the other ones though.

Apparently the people who didn't put new born as the no. 1 haven't listened to the song or Origin of Symmetry enough. That album is my favorite and new born does a great job of setting the melancholy "prog metal" whatever you want to call the album's sound. TAB is pretty good but as far as songwriting and execution, new born will win any day.

Archived