What is your favourite track on The 2nd Law?

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on The 2nd Law?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on The 2nd Law?

I voted Panic Station a few days ago, but after sitting and listening I am really really getting into Unsustainable. I actually like the robot. But the best part for sure are those drops. And the guitar effects are awesome, I love knowing they did this with instruments instead of machines, too.

And, Animals and Explorers were duds for me the first few times but Animals is sneaking into my top five currently. I keep finding things to love about Supremacy thought! Explorers is at the point now where it doesn't suck. It's inching up behind Liquid State for me.

Unsustainable

Panic Station

Madness

Supremacy

Animals

Follow Me

Liquid State

Explorers, Save Me, Isolated System

Survival

Big Freeze

It's interesting to me, my 13 yr old immediately started rearranging the tracklist this morning when I let him listen before school. It's like an instinct, or something.

At the moment, my top 4:

Panic Station

Isolated System

Supremacy (Isolated System just edges it out I think)

Animals

And not sure about the order from hereon in, but:

Follow Me

Survival (hmm I have placed it highly but I'm not sure it should be up here)

Madness

Explorers

Save Me

Big Freeze

Unsustainable (has some good elements but overall it's a bit of a mess. The last breakdown kills it)

Liquid State (yes Big Freeze is a bit cheesy and this isn't, but I enjoy Big Freeze more.)

This is a really tough question for me personally since there's not that much on the album that's offensively terrible, yet there's nothing that really excels either. As a sum of it's parts it's not really that up to snuff but there are some genuinely good tracks here, and even the ones that tend to want to reach the spectrum of bad make it up with a good enough segment that makes it passable for a listen. Technically this kind of album should make it far easier for someone to pick their favorites but personally I've generally found at least one enjoyable thing in all the tracks.

On a few listens, Panic Station, Follow Me, Animals, Save Me and Isolated System stick out as my favorites. Panic Station is probably the heaviest, danceable groove they've pumped out. Nero's production really sells it in Follow Me. Animals is some of the greatest mentality behind the production of OoS put into a track three albums after assuming Muse's old edge is lost upon them. Save Me is pretty much a Steven Wilson track, and Steven Wilson is awesome. Isolated System is a good score piece that only marvels when played in a given atmospheric context.

Overall I'd say it's a toss up between Panic Station and Follow Me, mostly because I feel these tracks capture two key elements that I feel make a good Muse song into a great one - namely being a wonderful track on it's own, but also potentially fantastic in a live setting.

I have listened to the album about 10 times now and it gets better every listen! I voted Panic Station because it's such an up-beat and uplifting song - the only Muse song that I could dance to properly :D My order at this point in time would be:

Panic Station>Survival(Prelude)>IS ....actually sod it, I can't do it properly yet because I adore Explorers and Supremacy is amazing too!

I also predict Animals will grow on me massively and become my favourite at some point.

EDIT: Such a fail of a post :-(

Considering Muse is an alternative/prog band, the only song that felt that way was Animals....and so far thats my favourite. And also I quite like Survival just because its Queen-Esque.

Only one song that felt like alternative/prog, but they're still an alternative/prog band?

Well until OoS they were, I think. Mainly because of the strong classical influences blended into the alternative hard rock they played at the time.

Muse were never a prog band, but they always had "proggy" influences. That was my point. :p

I almost agree with your post, but I would say they are still influenced by classical music. (See Exogenesis)

That wasn't featured on Absolution?

Uhm yeah, you're right, until Absolution.

Muse were never a prog band, but they always had "proggy" influences. That was my point. :p

I almost agree with your post, but I would say they are still influenced by classical music. (See Exogenesis)

But apart from Exogenesis, the classical influence diminished after Absolution, and turned more into a symphonic one (along with all the other influences they've gathered so far)

But apart from Exogenesis, the classical influence diminished after Absolution, and turned more into a symphonic one (along with all the other influences they've gathered so far)

Symphonic, hmm yeah ok. They use sometimes orchestra and choirs.

Favorite songs:

Survival

Animals

I've found with previous Muse albums that the tracks I like best at first aren't necessarily the ones I like best after a few months. However, today I've voted for Liquid State but I also love Panic Station and Supremacy.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a tie between Supremacy, Madness and Isolated System for me...

Love them almost equally, but chose Supremacy because I think it's one of their best opening numbers of all :D

What about the whole part of Chopin in the ending of United States of Eurasia? It's even more obvious the the Rachmaninov in Butterflies & Hurricanes.

Archived