Okey, I just listened to the album and... Wow. I don't know what to say. It's not what I expected at all. I love Panic Station and Supermacy is ok (even though it kind of remind me of a 007 theme song or something). Survival is a fun song. Madness I didn't really like at first, but now it sounds really good compared to the rest of the album. Unsustainable was great when the trailer came out and it really got my hopes up for this album. But now... I'm kind of sick of it. Overall this album gave me nothing special. I don't like it.

Someone i know just posted this on facebook:

"Muse are like the Vikings of rock.. they have raped, pillaged & plundered everything thats cool from the history of music and condensed it into this generic, obvious wailing nonsense.. prgramme that into your Kaos pad and smoke it!! AMEN!"

Genuinely the best criticism of them i think i've ever read :LOL:

"Muse are like the Vikings of rock.. they have raped, pillaged & plundered everything thats cool from the history of music and condensed it into this generic, obvious wailing nonsense.. prgramme that into your Kaos pad and smoke it!! AMEN!"

:LOL: That's pretty funny.

And yet...I still love them...?

Long time Muser....first time poster....

I've been into MUSE since I bought Showbiz from HMV in 2000, they have continued to be my favourite band always. Some songs are better than others, that's inevitable, but Muse are changing, if they released the same style people would just slag them off for not moving with the times. I for one am enjoying the 2nd Law.

I found this review... Think it sums it up nicely..

There can be no doubt that there will be a number of knee-jerk reactions to The 2nd Law, be they in relation to the dubstep elements in Unsustainable or that the album hasn't offered another Plug in Baby. This fact is unavoidable, but the reality is that Muse deserve a lot of respect for this record. For a band as revered as they are to experiment as much as they have, to explore these new ideas and incorporate the elements that they have, Muse should be praised, not slated. Time will tell.

See ya

....next post in 2024.

There can be no doubt that there will be a number of knee-jerk reactions to The 2nd Law, be they in relation to the dubstep elements in Unsustainable or that the album hasn't offered another Plug in Baby. This fact is unavoidable, but the reality is that Muse deserve a lot of respect for this record. For a band as revered as they are to experiment as much as they have, to explore these new ideas and incorporate the elements that they have, Muse should be praised, not slated. Time will tell.

I hate it when reviewers seem to think Plug In Baby is some kind of godly masterpiece.

Long time Muser....first time poster....

I've been into MUSE since I bought Showbiz from HMV in 2000, they have continued to be my favourite band always. Some songs are better than others, that's inevitable, but Muse are changing, if they released the same style people would just slag them off for not moving with the times. I for one am enjoying the 2nd Law.

See ya

....next post in 2024.

:LOL: Well worth joining anyway to post that.

Muse will be fine. It is indeed a good record. :happy:

:erm: Traditional Muse?

Abso, OoS, Showbiz, and The Resistance sound nothing alike.

Each of the older albums sounds consistent within itself though and there is a fairly clear progression overall (up to a point). The b-sides have always been things that don't sit within that progression because they're a little bit experimental or just don't flow with the rest of the album they're attached to.

I'd say there's a high chance that most of the songs that ended up on previous albums had been developed over time - gradually evolving from initial ideas. These songs sound like a collection of ideas mashed together.

Okey, I just listened to the album and... Wow. I don't know what to say. It's not what I expected at all. I love Panic Station and Supermacy is ok (even though it kind of remind me of a 007 theme song or something). Survival is a fun song. Madness I didn't really like at first, but now it sounds really good compared to the rest of the album. Unsustainable was great when the trailer came out and it really got my hopes up for this album. But now... I'm kind of sick of it. Overall this album gave me nothing special. I don't like it.

My thoughts after first listen.

Now I'm loving every track except for two.

Each of the older albums sounds consistent within itself though and there is a fairly clear progression overall (up to a point). The b-sides have always been things that don't sit within that progression because they're a little bit experimental or just don't flow with the rest of the album they're attached to.

I'd say there's a high chance that most of the songs that ended up on previous albums had been developed over time - gradually evolving from initial ideas. These songs sound like a collection of ideas mashed together.

They took their time mashing ideas together. And a consistent album isn't really enough to define a bands traditional sound, really. Well, unless you're the Sex Pistols :LOL:

I listened to each song once today and I wonder if I can stop and not listen again until I have the cd in hand. Doubtful! All the songs have been running through my head throughout the day, even that blasted Big Freeze. :rolleyes:

And if anyone is looking for someone to end the age argument, let me know. So far, I haven't seen anyone older than me posting on this thread.:D

That would be me at 43. Do I win? :awesome: Although there are quite a few "old" people here, lol.

"There can be no doubt that there will be a number of knee-jerk reactions to The 2nd Law, be they in relation to the dubstep elements in Unsustainable or that the album hasn't offered another Plug in Baby. This fact is unavoidable, but the reality is that Muse deserve a lot of respect for this record. For a band as revered as they are to experiment as much as they have, to explore these new ideas and incorporate the elements that they have, Muse should be praised, not slated. Time will tell."

Oh, this has to be Zane Lowe's review then.

They took their time mashing ideas together. And a consistent album isn't really enough to define a bands traditional sound, really. Well, unless you're the Sex Pistols :LOL:

They took their time in the studio but it doesn't sound like it and there were afaik no new songs appearing mid-tour, pre-album. A consistent album that is an evolution of the previous one makes sense - maybe traditional was the wrong word.

Vikings are indeed known for the raping and pillaging, but not really for turning stuff into obvious wailing nonsense. So the analogy doesn't really work for me.

I've had the album on repeat all night, no hope of getting anything done.¨

Interesting (?) bit about fan interest: Supremacy leads the play count at the soundcloud stream by far, having 217 000 plays, whereas Panic Station, that has the 2nd most, is at 84 000. Unsustainable has the least at 50 000, almost neck-and-neck with Liquid State.

The order is

Supremacy

Panic Station

Madness

Follow Me

Prelude

Isolated System

Animals

Survival

Explorers

Big Freeze

Save me