Wow, (in a bad way)

I dont think i have ever wanted to skip so many songs in a first time listen. I was forcing myself to play the whole tracks.

Then when at least 1 good track starts (Liquid State), the wrong singer pops up (Chris does well, but woulda been epic with Matt).

Im sorry Muse, but i must let you go. For you are going in a direction that i can no longer support.

/yearns for the old days

Shhhhhh........ go.. to... sleep..

>Best

Animals

>Runner Up

Isolated System - It's a shame it built up to almost nothing

>Worst

Big Freeze - Fucking woeful. Those lyrics, jesus.

A handful of good songs on the album, but there are too many that seem uninspired and too heavily influenced by others. Chris's songs were among the best of the album, Matt should let him write more in the future. Not many elements of old-Muse are prevalent, seems to me like they are changing for the worse. Lyrics are stuck on an out of control train heading for a cliff. Like... year 8 english bad. That said, there are moments on this album that still leave hope lingering for me. Not sure what Muse wanted to achieve with this album, whatever it was, they fell well short.

5/10 Overall. And I think it's better than The Resistance

Having finished my first listen, I am disappointed. There are maybe three or four good tracks - not to say the rest are bad, they're just rather underwhelming and disappointing. I expect I'll like them eventually, once I've shed off the expectations I had for this album.

Saying that though, I don't like Explorers. I'm getting the kind of vibe from it that I expect others get from Guiding Light (whereas I love GL). Not to my taste.

And I think Isolated System is a boring way to end the album - as the user above me says, it builds up to nothing (my friend rawrsomesauce of this forum tells me I'm not getting the "subtlety"). I think Isolated System into Unsustainable would have worked a lot better.

Initially I give 5.5/10. I don't really enjoy this album. It's alright. Once you take away all the new stuff though there isn't much Muse left. I don't really get it to be honest. It's a lot of stuff that seems like Guiding Light without the cheese and Starlight without the catchiness. There's no guitar or piano hooks. No catchy choruses really. Nothing that makes me want to jump or sing along or anything. Meh.

After the first listen, I quite like the album:

Standout track: Supremacy, Panic Station, Follow Me, Animals, Isolated System

Especially Supremacy and Isolated System. I love the background woman talking, post-rock bands tend to do that kinda way and I always loved something like that.

I don't really know what to think of Explorers and Big Freeze.... Same, anyone else?

I'm on my third listen and I love it. It could be pure excitement for something new, or just that I'm in a good mood, but I really like the majority of songs on here. Supremacy, Animals, Panic Station, Liquid State, and Save Me are easily my top five from the album so far. I still have to listen to the others a little more closely.

This is not fair. I was sleeping.

We tried to wake you! Check your boat and twitter feed. :chuckle:

Archived