Explorers and Big Freeze are the only weak songs on this album. However, at least they're more exciting musically in their weakness than the weak songs from TR (GL and IBTY). Explorers has a Beatles-esque vibe to it that's enjoyable and as others have mentioned Big Freeze has a U2 vibe which isn't that bad.

Overall, album wise, miles and miles and miles better than TR as an album. I could actually hear the Muse I fell in love with on this album. I can already tell which songs are going to be the ones I go apeshit over in concert.

Seriously can't wait for the US tour. I have high hopes for this album cycle.

This is what I mean about there being no consensus.

Pretty much what I've been saying ever since we started learning about the album. Some Musers will adore it as a return to form for Muse, and some will despise it more than anything before. I don't feel like there will be a whole lot of middle-ground opinions, though I'm sure there will be some.

Here is your conclusive answer:

It's amazing.

I'm happier with that answer than some of the others. ;)

Pretty much what I've been saying ever since we started learning about the album. Some Musers will adore it as a return to form for Muse, and some will despise it more than anything before. I don't feel like there will be a whole lot of middle-ground opinions, though I'm sure there will be some.

True. I thought the relentless positivity that emerged around the live gigs wouldn't stay for everyone.

Great songs: Supremacy, Animals, Follow Me, Isolated System, Liquid State.

Good songs: Madness, Save Me, Explorers, Big Freeze, Unsustainable.

Horrible songs: Panic Station, Survival.

So far I'm finding it better than The Resistance.

What!? I frickin LOVE Panic Station. It's probably my favourite song of the album.

Panic Station > Supremacy > Follow Me > > Isolated System > Liquid State > Madness > Big Freeze > The others

I love this album. So much.

I think it was going to be obvious that given the broad range of songs expected, there wouldn't be a simple consensus on favourites.

But I think when you can clearly see people disliking a song adding 'but' at the end of their sentences, then as a whole the album is thumbs up.

I'll need to listen to the album a few more times before I really could reach a final judgement on the album as a whole but here's my first impressions:

1. Supremacy: 5/5 Huge song thats literally perfect. Love the falsetto. I don't feel like the strings drown out the guitar either which I was kind of afraid of.

2. Madness: 5/5 Very different for them but I really love the subtleness to it. Great build up.

3. Panic Station: 5/5 Gotta be the most unexpected song on the album for me. Love everything about it.

4. Prelude/Survival: 4/5 REALLY love the guitar in this. I only give it a 4/5 because it is SO over the top haha.

5. Follow Me: 5/5 The vocals in this song are some of matt's best, and Chris/Matt go balls to the wall with the backing vocals to which make this song even better.

6. Animals: 5/5 Dark-horse of the album in my mind, didn't expect much but I think its one of Matt's best guitar songs ever. I which the riff at the end would have gone on about 30 seconds longer though. I'm sure they'll start extending it live though.

7. Explorers: 5/5 I was shocked when I heard this song for the first time, I was expecting a very dark song. I'll admit it took me two listens to really get into it but I find I absolutely love it now. I do wish it would have built up a little more at the end but I think its a great song. Beautiful lyrics.

8. Big Freeze: 4/5 Really funky U2ish song, but I love the way its put together. Very musish but also very non-musish at the same time hahaha. I didn't might the backing vocals as much as others but I could do without them.

9. Save Me: 5/5 I absolutely LOVE chris' voice. Beautiful song that really captures the great range of his voice.

10. Liquid State: 5/5 Wish this song was longer but really cool metallica-esk song. My only complaint is that I wish the guitar was a little, more prominent? I can hear it just fine but I wish matt would have come up with a little more defined riff for the song, but the guitar is still quite awesome.

11. Unsustainable: 3/5 decent song but I felt like the dubstep parts where way to repetitive. Great strings though

12. Isolated System: 5/5 I do wish there was a little more of a climax at the end but in my mind it's perfect for the album because the earth is supposed to be losing energy/dying so the ending of Isolated System fits what the albums' overall message is. Were eventually going to kill our planet one way or another so the song kind of just slows to an eventual stop. Its a little repetative but I can look past that aspect because the piano/strings are all really pretty :LOL:

Overall grade for now: 4.5/5

Almost a masterpiece. It might eventually grow to that for me personally but for now I'll leave it just short of a 5/5 rating

Album Ranking for now:

1. Absolution 5/5

2. Origin of Symmetry 5/5

3. The 2nd Law 4.5/5 (I do like this better than TR because the guitar work on 2nd law is just so much better, and there's more of it, Vocals are better too)

4. The Resistance 4.5/5

5. Black Holes and Revelations 4/5

6. Showbiz 3.5/5

this album is quite bad..the live recordings looked so promising..but it really isnt that good...the way its produced etc.

The quality of the rips are really flat though. The songs we have released already sound much better, so I assume the full release will follow suit.

Am I the only person who still thinks Survival a damn good song? The guitars are amazing :$

...Although I do tend to ignore lyrics completely when it comes to Muse ... they've always been terrible, exceptionally so in that case :LOL:

The 2nd Law: Isolated System > Panic Station > Survival > Liquid State > Animals > Supremacy > Follow Me > Madness > Save Me > The 2nd Law: Unsustainable > Explorers > Big Freeze

...no doubt that ordering will change about 939759235 times over my repeat listens. I was really suprised by T2L:IS though, it is actually a really lovely bit of music :happy:

Archived