I really want to see Muse take their sound so far that they sound almost nothing like their old sound. I love Absolution and OoS is pretty great too but I don't give a shit about stylistic changes. I'm open minded enough to enjoy a lot of styles.

T2L to me was their most different album. People like to say TR was so different but it was really just diminished guitar use. T2L really broke the mold for Muse but it ends up feeling like Radiohead's HTTT with too many styles and nothing holding the songs together. They didn't pick a direction. While I'd love to see them pick a direction that changes everything for their sound, I get why they're doing what they're doing.

Still pumped for Drones.

Supremacy: It used to be one of my favorite album tracks from T2L. Now, it is a bit dull. Fun riff though. Cringe-y as fuck lyrics. ("Brainwashing our children to be mean," Really, Matt?)

Madness: The first half annoys me soo much that it ruins the song for me. I appreciate the build and the vocal delivery. But when ever the song comes on, I skip it instinctively.

Panic Station: Absolutely fun and catchy. One of my favorites on the album.

Prelude/Survival: Survival gives me second hand embarrassment. Part of me likes it and part of me hates it. It is massive live, but I'd die of embarrassment if it came on when I was around other people.

Follow Me: The vocals are really the only good thing about this song. The rest is utterly boring and embarrassing.

Animals: Probably one of my favorite songs off of this album. It is actually interesting and doesn't really embarass me that much nor put me to sleep (unlike most of this album)

Explorers: Dull

Big Freeze: I always forget that Big Freeze even exsists. Honest. It is utterly boring and god awful.

Save Me: I actually like Save Me better than Liquid State. There is a strange dream like quality to it. I am a bit indifferent to it, to be honest.

Liquid State: Shit on the album, better live. I'm not big on Chris's vocals to be honest. Props to him for trying though.

Unsustainable: My opinion of Unsustatinable is similar to my opinion of Psycho. Much like the Drill Sergeant shit, the robot voice in Unsustatinable is completely unnecessary and ruins the song a bit. If they had cut that shit out of both songs, I would have enjoyed them more. The robot adds unnecessary cheese.

Isolated System: Also one of my favorites from this album. I've been a fan of nearly every instrumental piece Muse has pumped out.

Really the only songs off of this album that I still listen to are Animals, Panic Station, and Isolated System. Sometimes I will listen to Supremacy and Survival. The rest of the album is either forgettable or completely unlistenable. Initallly, I hated T2L. For a while I tried to like it due to fan goggles. Now, I obviously do not care for it.

Baring some of the fantastic live performances, T2L makes me feel embarrassed to be a fan. The Staduim Tour made things worse. I hated the fucking lightbulb, the businesswoman with the petrol, and the weird coffin shit. Why? Why was that shit needed? I get putting on a show. But everything was fucking stupid. (like most of this album)

Isolated System- A beautiful and creepy as fuck song. It sounds like you're walking alone some empty street at night and you can hear this awesome party going on in a nearby house and can see mysterious flashes of lights peeking through windows and doors, but it's the only house that has any signs of life, and you want to go in but at the same time don't, knowing it could be something seedy. I love songs that evoke that "uncomfortable" feeling and I love even more that this manages to evoke that without ever really picking up. Not sure the radio voices were necessary, but it's a lovely piece of music and a nice way to close out an exciting if rather inconsistent album.

What a fabulous description!! Jeeez so true :stunned:

Baring some of the fantastic live performances, T2L makes me feel embarrassed to be a fan. The Staduim Tour made things worse. I hated the fucking lightbulb, the businesswoman with the petrol, and the weird coffin shit. Why? Why was that shit needed? I get putting on a show. But everything was fucking stupid. (like most of this album)

I wouldn't say it was THAT bad, but I agree about the cringe-iness of the tour stuff - and I think I am prob in the minority when I say that I hated the Matt crowd passover UD crap.

I wouldn't say it was THAT bad, but I agree about the cringe-iness of the tour stuff - and I think I am prob in the minority when I say that I hated the Matt crowd passover UD crap.

T2L tour had very bad moments, Starlight and Follow Me without guitar being the worst of all, but they played a lot of good songs.

On the other side, TR tour is weaker but the iconic shows (Wembley, Manchester) are miles better than Rome, the show everybody will remember of T2L tour.

Supremacy Good riff, strong opener... until it goes nowhere.

Madness I actually really like it, but it doesn't feel like a Muse song.

Panic Station I really enjoyed it, but it hasn't held up well for me.

Survival The final minute is a good jam, but I HATE everything before it.

Follow Me Hate. Not catchy, not interesting.

Animals I thought at the time it would become a classic. Now it just kinda feels boring.

Explorers I hate this song too. It feels so lazy and contrived. In my top 5 worst Muse songs.

Big Freeze My guilty pleasure on the album. Not good, obviously, but what can I say?

Save Me Boring.

Liquid State I like it and it was good live, but it really feels like it's lacking something. A solo, a big ending riff... something.

Unsustainabel Fine. Don't listen to it, but don't dislike it.

Isolated System I like it, but I assume it'll pop up in enough movie trailers to prevent me from needing to listen to it on my own.

Overall, it's just a miserable album. No flow, no originality, just a bunch of weird songs thrown together.

Supremacy - I loved it at first, but now it's grown a bit dull for me 6/10

Madness - Had little opinion on it at first, it's alright but not my favourite 6/10

Panic Station - Fun song, original and catchy 8/10

Survival - It's a great song with an awesome build up, awesome live 7/10

Follow Me - Quite uplifting, the electronic aspect works well - 7/10

Animals - My favourite on the album, great message and never gets boring for me 8/10

Explorers - I like it, and it's message - i'd call it "cute" - 7/10

Big Freeze - Never really thought much of this one either, but it's grown on me - also has a bit of a U2 theme to it 7.5/10

Save Me - Ehhh, a little dull - 5/10

Liquid State - This is a decent rock song 6/10

Unsustainable - The first song on the album that I hooked on to. Love the vocals but it's getting awful to listen to now - 6/10

Isolated System - Awesome end to the album, wraps it up nicely 7/10

Overall, definitely not their best if you compare it to previous albums - but my hopes are still up for Drones

It's messy, but a lot of it has to do with the way the tracklist was done. Start with a rocker to a ballad, a funky mess to a queenstastic song to a electro pop song, another rocker, a ballad, I dont know how to categorize Big Freeze, then we got the Chris sung songs and the instrumentals. If they mixed it up a bit it could've been a bit more concesive, something like this would've been better than the tracklist we got

1. Unsustainable

2. Soupremacy

3. Madness

4. Panic Station

5. Save Me

6. Big Freeze

7. Liquid State

8. Explorers

9. Animals

10. Follow Me

11. Survival(or put Isolated system as the first song on side B of vinyl, if you like the way this one finishes the album)

12. Isolated System

It's messy, but a lot of it has to do with the way the tracklist was done. Start with a rocker to a ballad, a funky mess to a queenstastic song to a electro pop song, another rocker, a ballad, I dont know how to categorize Big Freeze, then we got the Chris sung songs and the instrumentals. If they mixed it up a bit it could've been a bit more concesive, something like this would've been better than the tracklist we got

"Soupremacy" sounds like a tasty song

i enjoy this album a lot more than TR, but it's still disappointingly average. I refuse to ever listen to Big Freeze ever again in my life. I may be overreacting but I really don't like that song :LOL:

i enjoy this album a lot more than TR, but it's still disappointingly average. I refuse to ever listen to Big Freeze ever again in my life. I may be overreacting but I really don't like that song :LOL:

Definitely not overreacting! I'm the same. It's just...God awful.

"KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

There's a lot I like about T2L, there's just not much I love about it.

Supremacy is sold, the last two minutes of Madness are beautiful, Panic Station is fun, the riffage in Survival is great, I unashamedly love Follow Me, Animals is great, Save Me is sweet, Liquid State rocks, and Isolated System is deliciously dark.

Big Freeze and Explorers are pretty much irredeemable though, and Unsustainable is a complete mess. Plus, the rest of them all have their flaws. It's a thoroughly mixed bag.

I listen only to Isolated system and Liquid State.

Animals lasted a long time, I still think it's a great song, but even that one got boring.

Everything else...nah.

I struggle to listen to any of this album anymore. Hype got the better of me when it came out and I claimed the opening tracks was the best thing since Abso. How very wrong I was.

I can listen to IS, Panic Station and Animals but the rest I'm happy to restrict to the odd listen but nothing more.

Best parts of the album for me are:

Animals

Last 2 minutes of Explorers

Second half of Unsustainable

Isolated System

Heavy guitar midway through Survival

Muse would have to pull of something special to make an album worse than this one.

It was awful when it was released and it's even worse now. I'd be happy if all of the songs were dropped from the live rotation, especially Panic Station (I've never understood why so many people like it :stunned:).

Supremacy is ok, Madness ends well, Follow Me is catchy and after that I'm struggling for positives...actually Isolated System is quite good, and it also means the album's almost over.

Comfortably their worst record imo, they'll struggle to come up with worse.

Supremacy - Monotonous and a little dull - 6/10

Madness - One of the higher points of the album IMO, the climax is pretty good - 7.6/10

Panic Station - Fun song, groovy and mad - 6.5/10

Survival - Awesome song IMO, don't mind the lyrics too much - 9/10

Follow Me - Don't really like this except for the end where Matt & Chriss are both 'wailing' together' - 5/10

Animals - Fantastic song, don't dislike anything about it - 10/10

Explorers - Okay song, nothing special - 6.5/10

Big Freeze - Don't mind this one too much, it's an okay song, bit cheesy and I don't like the lyrics but the chorus is coo -l 7/10

Save Me - Not a great effort IMO, boring. - 5.5/10

Liquid State - Cool song with a QOTSA vibe - 7/10

Unsustainable - Really like this, interesting experiment - 8.5/10

Isolated System - Quality song, really like this. - 8/10

Overall it gets dragged down by filler songs IMO. Generous 6/10

I listened to this again for the first time in ages yesterday, and it wasn't so bad. The way it all comes together isn't so good though. Too many tracks with elements of great songs, and a lot that were much more enjoyable live. Explorers-Big Freeze-Save Me as one chain was a big mistake too, and honestly I think it would be a better album if they just took Follow Me out of it.

Compared to my first impressions of some of the songs, it's a pretty good album. But it's messily put together and feels too much like it's capitalising on what people had come to expect after The Resistance (a far better album imo).

The 2nd Law is ridiculously inconsistent. IMO some of their best and some of their worst, all combined in an incredibly incohesive album. Madness, Animals and Panic Station are some of their best work. Unsustainable, Follow Me etc some of their worst.

I've found myself listening to Animals and Panic Station quite a bit. I don't skip Supremacy, Survival, or IS whenever it comes on either. Otherwise I think the album is bland or just plain intolerable.

It's not a bad album, but it's a bad ALBUM... I mean it sounds like a compilation of different artists. But there are some killer tracks on here : Supremacy, Animals, Unsustainable, Liquid State and Explorers are great track imo. But the album is like a blockbuster : great when you see it but later seems boring