Back when T2L came out, I was still towards the end of my fanboy days and massively anticipated whatever Muse put out, meaning that I got overly-excited when they put something new out and usually overhyped it. Nowadays, I like to think I know what I like and what I don't like when it comes to Muse. After a couple of listens to a new song, I've usually gathered a fairly solid opinion on it.

This.

I've disliked every Muse song I've ever heard when I first heard it. It takes me a good five or so listens to warm to a song, and there are few songs which I ended up listening to multiple times and still didn't like

I've disliked every Muse song I've ever heard when I first heard it. It takes me a good five or so listens to warm to a song, and there are few songs which I ended up listening to multiple times and still didn't like

Life and soul you are :p

Really? Or do you mean every new song released?

I agree-ish. I listen to their new stuff and want desperately to love it and I just don't. The only song I have loved straight away is Psycho (and Reapers maybe) - the others are 'meh' to me just now. Don't get me wrong - I like the others, they just don't grab me, so to speak...

I still listen to it every now and then, and it still sounds great. Whereas TR I don't go back to apart from Exogenesis.

After years I love revisiting both TR and T2L. After one more listen though T2L is shuffled to the back of my CD collection, whereas TR remains at the front. Says it all for me:rolleyes:

I still listen to it every now and then, and it still sounds great. Whereas TR I don't go back to apart from Exogenesis.

TR is great imho, T2L is OK, but kind of 'forced' - and I fear that Drones is going to be the same (I can't explain - it just seems over-thought somehow?) Exo is amazing on TR, Survival (+ Prelude) is amazing on T2L. I hope Drones is better that I anticipate from what I have heard so far

Looking back, I think I completely missed writing down my initial impressions of the album!

Wow.

I went into T2L with incredibly low expectations after hating, HATING Survival, and being disappointed with Madness (but admitting the ending is amazing, and it probably needs the buildup for it to BE amazing.)

Otherwise, I quite liked the majority of the album. It's no where near Abso, OoS or BH&R levels, but I liked quite the majority of the rest of the songs.

I don't think it worked well as an album, maybe, but I SO infrequently have time to listen to an entire album that I fall back on listening to shuffled playlists of my favorite songs.

Maybe that's why I didn't find the album fell as flat for me, and I still have the majority of the songs on my iPod playlist.

Way more than I have from TR, or Showbiz.

Supremacy: mostly on the good side of OTT Muse tracks. The ending gets a bit long, and with time I think I realized there aren't enough vocals in the track for my liking

Madness: hated it on first listens. Came to appreciate it more over time, and "get" the length and build up. Still think it's too long and the solo confuses me. Can't argue it's well crafted and sung.

Panic Station: fun, awesome, but not emotional or deep, obvs. I think I was slightly disappointed, but now all I see when I hear it is the video, so :love:

Survival: I have never warmed up to this song, and almost never listen to it. One of the few songs where the lyrics actually are so bad they bother me, too.

Follow Me: Was completely obsessed with. Still much love. Will always be sad the emotion in the chorus didn't translate onto the studio track.

Animals: I think I appreciate it on a technical and lyrical level, but it's always bored me, and I seldom listen to it.

Explorers: Creepy lullaby. Pretty, and disturbing. Have always liked.

Big Freeze: Great vocals. Can't quite get past lyrics about gas. Still listen to it when it pops up, but I have to already be in a good mood, or it irritates me - a bit too happy?

Save Me: Boring, droning, and way too long. Some good guitar work, but just never listen to it, still.

Liquid State: At least shorter than Save Me, but still super uninteresting. I don't care for Chris' vocals, sadly, and there isn't enough spark to the songs to make up for it. Reminds me of Unnatural Selection, musically.

Unsustainable: Love. Just cool, unique, and impactful.

Isolated System: I think I really like this song, yet I almost never listen to it. I'm just not an instrumental person, maybe? Or I REALLY have to be in the mood for it.

Supremacy: mostly on the good side of OTT Muse tracks. The ending gets a bit long, and with time I think I realized there aren't enough vocals in the track for my liking

Madness: hated it on first listens. Came to appreciate it more over time, and "get" the length and build up. Still think it's too long and the solo confuses me. Can't argue it's well crafted and sung.

Panic Station: fun, awesome, but not emotional or deep, obvs. I think I was slightly disappointed, but now all I see when I hear it is the video, so :love:

Survival: I have never warmed up to this song, and almost never listen to it. One of the few songs where the lyrics actually are so bad they bother me, too.

Follow Me: Was completely obsessed with. Still much love. Will always be sad the emotion in the chorus didn't translate onto the studio track.

Animals: I think I appreciate it on a technical and lyrical level, but it's always bored me, and I seldom listen to it.

Explorers: Creepy lullaby. Pretty, and disturbing. Have always liked.

Big Freeze: Great vocals. Can't quite get past lyrics about gas. Still listen to it when it pops up, but I have to already be in a good mood, or it irritates me - a bit too happy?

Save Me: Boring, droning, and way too long. Some good guitar work, but just never listen to it, still.

Liquid State: At least shorter than Save Me, but still super uninteresting. I don't care for Chris' vocals, sadly, and there isn't enough spark to the songs to make up for it. Reminds me of Unnatural Selection, musically.

Unsustainable: Love. Just cool, unique, and impactful.

Isolated System: I think I really like this song, yet I almost never listen to it. I'm just not an instrumental person, maybe? Or I REALLY have to be in the mood for it.

I quoted all of this because I agree so, so much with everything you say. With one totally and utterly massive exception; Survival. This song is in my top 5 :phu:

Supremacy Kinda pander to old fans. Not impressive

Madness So bad.. Pop, U2.. what could be worse?

Panic Station Kinda funny, cool.

Prelude+Survival Nice guitars, so bad we have Mercury's zombie reaching his hands

Follow Me Nice single, pump up the volume.

Animals The best T2L song indeed. Really good.

Explorers Like I said in the other thread, the incestuous son of Invincible and Guiding Light. Gross.

Big Freeze Bono please, stop molesting Matt for Christ sake!

Save Me I slept, what happened?

Liquid State Nice riff, it had to be a cool B-side IMHO

Unsustainable Nice +1 Not really a song

Isolated System Very nice +1 Not really a song

Most disappointing album ever, for me.

I remember thinking when T2L came out that it was a pretty good album, although it lagged behind the OoS/Abso/BH&R group. I remember really liking Supremacy, Madness and Survival, and being pretty happy with Follow Me, Panic Station, Animals and Explorers.

But I've definitely grown to like this album less and less as time has gone on. The complete lack of cohesion is kinda annoying if you're trying to listen to it as a whole, but it's fallen down a bit piece-by-piece as well. The lumbering studio version of Supremacy hasn't made me come back for repeated listens, Panic Station is a bit too loud and shouty and Follow Me was ruined for me by the guitarless live versions (the whole falling-on-my-knees-and-belting thing in particular).

As for the songs I was never too much of a fan of, I feel like Unsustainable would have been interesting if they'd pushed the concept more instead of repeating the same melodies and breakdown section in the 2nd half. IS is the same, it's a bit repetitive and doesn't really build to anything (although the piano section in the middle is nice). If you're gonna experiment like that, go a bit out there, have fun with it. Big Freeze is :vomit: because of the backing vocals.

Also the album cover is just shite.

Funny. I thought the album was great at the time but now I am very 'meh' about it. I was reading comments back then like 'my 3rd favourite album now', and was interested as to opinions on it now, on reflection. I wonder what we will say in a few years time after we have cogitated on Drones.

Good

Prelude

Animals

Liquid State

Unsustainable

Okay

Supremacy

Panic Station

Survival

Explorers

Bad

Madness

Follow Me

Big Freeze

Save Me

Isolated System

2nd law has no legs. Definitely my least favorite Muse album. It has not aged well.

As others have said, felt 'forced', as in trying really hard to get these stylistic songs like Panic Station and Supremacy.

The album wasn't very cohesive at all. Their amazing diversity was their biggest enemy.

Highlights of the album to me would have to be Supremacy (despite it's issues), Survival (I've learned to just have fun with it), Animals (favourite), Big Freeze and Isolated System.

Supremacy - good song...but the studio version was lacking

Madness - amazing. One of the very best songs of the last two albums

Panic Station - catchy, fun

Survival - lol

Follow Me - always loved it.

Animals - 2nd best song on the album after Madness. Hopefully we'll see it get played again

Explorers - boring

Big Freeze - decent pop song, I don't mind it I guess

Save Me - I liked it when it was new. Now not so much

Liquid State - Better than Save Me. But Chris shouldn't sing.

Unsustainable - was awesome live, I enjoy it but I'm not always in the mood

Isolated System - Got boring after some time but it's still a good composition

I'd give it an 8/10

It's a total hot mess of an album but that's what makes it so exciting to listen to.

Supremacy- An excellent opener. A must listen to on a set of big speakers.

Madness- I'm not sure if "Mamamamamamadmadmad" was a good idea but I love that kitara bass and Matt's high notes near the end are orgasmic. I definitely prefer the downtuned live version though.

Panic Station- Fun as fuck and catchy.

Prelude/Survival- Heavy as fuck and demands the highest volume possible. Always fun to listen to when you're on a bike ride and going really fast. However, it sounds like it should be much later in the album.

Follow Me- An energetic track, but I usually skip it. I think Matt could have made his entrance differently either, it comes off as rather melodramatic.

Animals- Love the song. Nothing else to it.

Explorers- Creepy and beautiful. Love the 90s britpop influences at times too.

Big Freeze- Yeah not a favourite. I love the line "Don't let the sun in your heart decay", though.

Save Me- I kind of have to be in the mood for this. Not because it's too sad or anything, just sappy balads aren't something I can listen to all the time. It's a bit too long too and much of the middle can be lost with no consequence.

But I love that line "I'm sure I'm hated"- crushes me every time I hear it. Chris has a very pretty voice.

Liquid State- I love the driving riff. It sounds like Unnatural Selection's evil twin. But I think this would actually be amazing if Matt were singing lead on it. I just think Chris' voice is too soft for something as aggressive as this. I feel the same about it live- Chris just doesn't really have the "edge" required.

Unsustainable- I actually really love this track. Maybe a bit pretentious and wanky, but I love the blend of genres present. The dubstep sounds incredible too, and Matt's high notes always send chills. The taiko drums near the end are a nice touch too.

Isolated System- A beautiful and creepy as fuck song. It sounds like you're walking alone some empty street at night and you can hear this awesome party going on in a nearby house and can see mysterious flashes of lights peeking through windows and doors, but it's the only house that has any signs of life, and you want to go in but at the same time don't, knowing it could be something seedy. I love songs that evoke that "uncomfortable" feeling and I love even more that this manages to evoke that without ever really picking up. Not sure the radio voices were necessary, but it's a lovely piece of music and a nice way to close out an exciting if rather inconsistent album.

Archived