Supremacy - Great riff ruined by awful verses. It's such a shame... Much better live than on the album but in general I find the song slow and repetitive.

Madness - Boring and weird. The last chorus is big but it's too late in the song and there's no build up to it. Solo is cringe.

Panic Station - Great energy and catchy tune. I really like the song, but it's strange hearing this from Muse...

Prelude - I like this stuff so yeah, it's pretty.

Survival - Such a confusing track. I adore the guitar work and I don't mind the choir. But the lyrics. They are the worst thing Matt has ever written and it makes the song an embarrassing mess.

Follow Me - This is another weird one. The record has no power at all, but the synths are nice and I particularly like the chorus synth note bend (classic Nero). The song fails to be all that spectular however. Lyrically it's okay.

Animals - The best song on the album and one of my all time favourites. The interesting rhythm, the tone of the instruments and guitar riffs are mesmerising. The song builds up really well too. Only wish the last riff was heavier.

Explorers - Some nice parts but ultimately a cringe fest with the melody and strange choice of instrumentation. The 'shush' part is one of the low points of the album.

Big Freeze - The U2 guitar tone annoys the crap out of me, but those choruses are just incredible. They're so big and the vocal line is fantastic. Could have been a great track with a little less U2.

Save Me - Shave a minute off this song and it would be fantastic. The melody is nice, the lyrics are powerful and the instrumentation is gorgeous. Just waaaaay too long.

Liquid State - I adore this song. The riff is so energetic and the vocal work fits so well. Suffers from the same problem as In Your World though, in that it cuts off short.

Unsustainable - Starts out as the most incredible bit of orchestration Matt has ever done, into one of the worst attempts of the dubstep ever written. Makes me sad. This song gives me goosebumps, but the dubstep is so sub-par... :(

Isolated System - Along with Animals, arguably the only other perfect song on this album. Builds up amazingly well and instrumentation is perfect. The sound bites are little cringe-inducing at times but otherwise I can look past them for this to be the second best track on the album.

I suppose the thread is okay as sort of a reflection on our thoughts on T2L back then, to express how our opinions have changed since its release.

That was my intention. I wanted to reflect back on T2L's thoughts as we were starting in on the new album.

It hasn't held my interest as much as I had hoped. There are some really good songs on there, but not enough to make me rate the album that highly as a whole. But yes, in the beginning I loved it (Except for Madness and Big Freeze).

My favorites are IS, Animals and Explorers. Other than those, I can take it leave it.

Supremacy - Great live, weak on the album

Madness - One of my favourite Muse songs

Panic Station - Catchy, nothing special

Survival - Powerful, good song

Follow Me - Nothing special either

Animals - Epic

Explorers - Hate it

Big Freeze - Meh

Save Me - Really bad song

Liquid State - Love it

Unsustainable - Live is in better

Isolated System - It's good but too long

Supremacy - Great live but overrated - 6.5/10

Madness - Hated it at first, grown on me now, still wouldn't consider it 'great' though - 7.5/10

Panic Station - Silly, but I love it - 8.5/10

Survival - Also silly, but great live and whenever you're driving/walking into work at 7am :LOL: - 8/10

Follow Me - Bit of a strange one, sometimes I like it, sometimes I find it mediocre - 7/10

Animals - Probably the best track on the album. I personally prefer Panic Station, but I can appreciate this is probably 'better' - 8/10

Explorers - I like it, nothing special but I always find myself singing along to it - 7.5/10

Big Freeze - I loved it at first, the more I listen to it, the more I tire of it. The opposite of a grower - 7.5/10

Save Me - Sorry Chris, but no - 5/10

Liquid State - A bit better - 6/10

Unsustainable - 3 years later, I still can't decide whether it's terrible or brilliant - ???/10

Isolated System - Brilliant piece of music, I'd actually like to see Muse make music like this again at some point - 8/10

Their worst album, but nowhere near as bad as some make out. Consistently good tracks, just no standouts.

First impressions

Supremacy"So why is Adele doing Skyfall when this exists?"

Madness "This can't be the finished song? It sounds too... Empty. It's missing something."

Panic Station "This is going to be my favourite on the album."

Survival "Please tell me Matt didn't write these lyrics? I can't imagine this being the official Olympics song but it will be amazing live."

Follow Me "Wow why do I like this? I shouldn't like this. I've surprised myself."

Animals "Just a typical muse song. Nothing special"

Explorers "The chorus reminds me of invincible. This is a strange lullaby"

Big Freeze "Nice poppy song. This will be a good one for them to play live... Right?"

Save Me "Well I'm not listening to that again"

Liquid State "Ok maybe Panic Station has competition. This is brilliant."

Unsustainabel "(Trailer) Great so the whole album is going to be dubstep? I don't think it really works."

Isolated System "Simple yet beautiful"

Since then Animals has grown on me and is one of my favourites on the album, while Liquid State and Panic Station are still up there. Madness has grown on me but I still dislike Save Me.

I remember going mental when I first heard Supremacy, was such a change from TR. That's the only song that's changed for me, I now find it pretty boring and a bit annoying aha. Madness is still quite good (but horrible live), panic station is pretty decent still, Survival is good, Animals is one of the best tracks still, Explorers and Save Me and Follow Me are still shit. Still like Big Freeze actually, never understood why people seem to hate it, and IS is still fantastic. Unsustainable and Liquid State are ok. Pretty much the same reaction to the songs as the first time I heard the album, but the second half of the album definitely lets the first down

Supremacy: Good track but was a bit boring live

Madness: Not bad but its not a song I ever chose to listen to unless its part of a shuffle. Top notch vocal performance from Bellamy though

Panic Station: Fun track but at the end of the day it feels like a poor mans SMBH to me

Survival: OTT Muse at its most OTT and its great. Was absolutely brilliant live

Follow Me: Boring track cant wait to see the back of it live

Animals: One of Muse's all time greatest songs. Glad its still kind of knocking about live.

Explorers: Alright track don't understand the massive hate against it tbh.

Big Freeze: Fantastic vocals from Matt but the song as a whole is lacklustre.

Save Me: Such a boring track and had the misfortune of seeing it live. Worst Muse track alongside Guiding Light

Liquid State: Average on the album but live it was fantastic

Unsustainable: Should of been the first track on the album. Its good fun and was fantastic live.

Isolated System: Slightly overrated on the board its alright I suppose

Pretty much unlistenable at this point, like TR.

Is it? I have to say that T2L is an album that I haven't properly listened to for a good 2 years - but I need to listen again. I agree that is kind of forgettable, I prefer TR...

Edited for crap grammar

;p

Is it? I have to say that T2L is an album that I haven't listened to for a good 2 years - but I need to listen again. I agree that is kind of forgettable, but I prefer TR

I have no desire to revisit TR or T2L. They're bad albums with bad songs. I'm just hoping they'll never write a song as impossibly shit as Big Freeze ever again. I accidentally listened to it about a week ago and was shocked by how fucking awful that song is.

I have no desire to revisit TR or T2L. They're bad albums with bad songs. I'm just hoping they'll never write a song as impossibly shit as Big Freeze ever again. I accidentally listened to it about a week ago and was shocked by how fucking awful that song is.

I kinda agree, but there are some songs from both albums I'd revisit. How do you find the tracks from Drones so far in comparison?

The only song I listen to from T2L at this point is Animals, haven't listened to anything else other than Madness since early 2013. The Resistance was a bit dull but this is the only actively bad Muse album imo, seems the band know it as well considering it's pretty much entirely disappeared from setlists.

Supremacy - Choruses are better live, love the last minute or so, the falsetto notes still give me chills.

Madness - Not too bad, not something I listen to unless in the mood, last couple of minutes are top notch though.

Panic Station - Always loved this one, makes me want to move.

Survival Absolute ear-sex. Brilliant, terrible lyrics aside.

Follow Me Still quite like this one, sounds good on decent earphones. Hasn't aged well though.

Animals One of the best on the album, love the instrumentals.

Explorers I really liked this one initially, but now it's only one I really listen to for when I'm trying to relax/sleep

Big Freeze - Up there with Panic Station, I still quite like this one. I love the cheesiness of it all.

Save Me - Ehhhh. This one never grew on me, good lyrics on Chris' part though.

Liquid State - Love this one, loved it live too. Too bad Chris doesn't seem overly keen on playing it anymore

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable - Was the opener when I saw Muse at the arena, and it was killer, even if the dubstep elements are gimmicky.

The 2nd Law: Isolated System - I love the creepy, ethereal vibe I get from this song, it's great.

Yeah, but having only 3 good songs wouldn't be a very positive thing, if we consider that even almost all of BHaR was kinda solid.

I didn't say that having more than two good songs would make it a good album, I just said it makes it better than T2L :chuckle: I'd say it's a good sign that 3 out of the 4 songs we've heard from Drones (counting Reapers) are better than almost everything on T2L.

Btw, personally, I don't think they'll ever get back to the level of BH&R.

Supremacy: bombastic, James Bond. Solo is great, love the trumpet

Madness: will go out of my way to listen to song, always belting along at the end with Matt. Good solid track.

Panic Station: funky groove, great trumpet line.

Survival: another bombastic OTT track. The solos and choir add so much to it, very powerful

Follow Me: HATE this song. I have been tempted to delete from library but OCD for music format says otherwise.

Animals: another solid track from the album, recovers the album after the horror track previously. Love the everything about it. The samples I could do without but I can live.

Explorers: awesome piano song, the bass is incredible and love the groove from 2nd chorus on, never skip.

Big Freeze: very poppy, but has great vocals (on par with Madness) and killer vibes

Save Me: sorry Chris but always skip and similar situation to Follow Me. I admire the lyrics but just drags

Liquid State: now Chris did right. Good hard rock feel with groove. Too bad no solo for Matt to go wild on (unlike Save Me)

Unsustainable: very interesting, generally will skip unless listening to album (rare).

Isolated System: great song again. Very atmospheric, need to be in the mood for it and generally will be on repeat.

Yeah, but having only 3 good songs wouldn't be a very positive thing, if we consider that even almost all of BHaR was kinda solid.

If this album is anywhere near as good as BHaR I will be a happy happy happy bunny. I can't see it though. So far I only like Psycho and maybe Reapers - and as BHaR has all of my absolute favourites....I am nervous. There is NO WAY that any of us can make a final decision yet until we have heard the album in full. Look at the comments back in 2012 - we just can't say what we think yet.

There is NO WAY that any of us can make a final decision yet until we have heard the album in full. Look at the comments back in 2012 - we just can't say what we think yet.

Back when T2L came out, I was still towards the end of my fanboy days and massively anticipated whatever Muse put out, meaning that I got overly-excited when they put something new out and usually overhyped it. Nowadays, I like to think I know what I like and what I don't like when it comes to Muse. After a couple of listens to a new song, I've usually gathered a fairly solid opinion on it.

Archived