• 2 weeks later...

Gah, T2L is such a conundrum for me.

On the one hand, Supremacy, Survival, Follow Me, Animals and Liquid State are immense.

On the other, they're not quite as immense as the immense moments off Muse's other albums, with the exception of The Resistance.

The other problem is that Muse have written much much MUCH worse songs than the lower moments of T2L, namely Explorers (which frankly, isn't bad).

On paper, I should love it - and I really do like bits of it a lot - but I'm not finding it to be a loveable album. I'm just trying to work out whether it's the album itself or my growing disillusionment with Muse themselves (well, Matt at least).

Hmm.

On paper, I should love it - and I really do like bits of it a lot - but I'm not finding it to be a loveable album. I'm just trying to work out whether it's the album itself or my growing disillusionment with Muse themselves (well, Matt at least).

The individual songs are stronger than the album as a whole, that's the problem for me.

The individual songs are stronger than the album as a whole, that's the problem for me.

it's these moments I'm so very thankful that I never cared about albums as a whole, only individual songs. if the songs are good (which they are in T2L's case - well except for that one song) , album cohesion just doesn't matter to me.

it's these moments I'm so very thankful that I never cared about albums as a whole, only individual songs. if the songs are good (which they are in T2L's case - well except for that one song) , album cohesion just doesn't matter to me.

I agree. I rarely listen to an album by itself, but rather pick and choose songs I like and listen to them as a playlist. More often than not, more Muse songs end up in my lists than other artists because of all the different sounds/styles they use. While many other artists sound monotonously similar in one song after another.

• 1 year later...

Just as the new album is about to be released (and having spent a bit time reflecting and reading the T2L hype thread)...what are your thoughts on your first opinions of T2L back then? For me:

Supremacy - Great live but kinda boring on the album

Madness - I love it, still find the first half a bit dull but the ending is awesome

Panic Station - fun but a bit 'meh' loved it at Horseguards though

Survival - with prelude (has to be) I ADORE still

Follow Me - Catchy, but makes me cringe a little bit

Animals - I predicted this to be the song that I would love the most eventually. Didn't happen sadly.

Explorers - Sweet, love it.

Big Freeze - Love it - big and 'anthemy' and fun

Save Me - Duuullllllll zzz

Liquid State - love Chris' enthusiasm, like it, don't love it

Unsustainable - adore, especially after seeing them on the arena tour. What a massive buzz when I saw the red lights and all

Isolated System - Gorgeous, just gorgeous

I avoided listening to this album until I had the hard copy and I don't regret that at all. I won't listen to any leaks for Drones either. Just need to say that I ADORE Psycho and Reapers but my personal jury is out on Dead Inside and Mercy. For what it is worth.

Eh why not, probably will get merged though

Supremacy - great riff, shame about the verses

Madness - great

Panic Station - fun but wouldn't mind if it never got played live again

Survival - great, even if I still find the ah ah ahs a bit annoying

Follow Me - wish he kept playing guitar live for it, just seemed to add something for me

Animals - cool song, glad it's the one that seems to have been remotely kept live

Explorers - nah

Big Freeze - guilty pleasure

Save Me - Nah

Liquid State - ite, but not massively fussed. Still wish they had done a song where Matt and Chris shared vocals like the live versions of TSP and Hyper Music

Unsustainable - could have been awesome, but a bit repetitive and blandish. Still fun

Isolated System - A+

I'd say it's an okay album. I still at least think it's better than Showbiz. The songs are really inconsistent but I guess that's something we've come to expect with Muse. I wish they'd done more electronic and piano based stuff. My favorites are Madness, Follow Me, Explorers, Animals and Isolated System. They did some great electronic stuff and more relaxed piano based stuff. Animals ends up being one of their best songs ever and it would've been really cool to see a whole album done with a mix of stuff like Animals/Explorers and Isolated System style stuff. It's almost disappointing to see the direction they're taking with Drones. I kinda wish they would take this sound one album further before going back but I guess I do get why they're doing it.

Not a great album but an okay one.

Is there really any need for this thread?

Probably not - but as I was reading the old thread I was laughing at some of the comments that are now so redundant; and I thought it would be interesting to read people's reflections on their opinions back in 2012

I kinda wish they would take this sound one album further before going back but I guess I do get why they're doing it.

Not a great album but an okay one.

I don't dislike T2L as much as others' seem to, but I do appreciate it and enjoy it - but not on a level with other Muse albums. I am not convinced about Drones yet.

I really don't listen to much of it anymore

Supremacy - Great riff, sounds better live. Shame it's a bit boring to listen to at times.

Madness - Still think the "I need your love" bit is one of the best things they've done. Rest is kinda eh.

Panic Station - Great fun, can't say I listen to it much though.

Prelude - think i've listened to it once in total ever

Survival - Great song, sounded fucking ace live as well.

Follow Me - Enjoy live versions, shame it was so polished on the album.

Animals - Quality song.

Explorers - Nah, don't mind the ahhhhh ahhh ahh bridge thing but the rest is eh.

Big Freeze - I actually like it. Don't mind the cheesy U2 feel too much and enjoy Matt's vocal.

Save Me - Great guitar work but drags on too much.

Liquid State - Was good fun live but is far too polished on the album.

Unsustainable - Good but not great.

Isolated System - Impressive from a musicianship point of view, but i find it drags a bit.

I suppose the thread is okay as sort of a reflection on our thoughts on T2L back then, to express how our opinions have changed since its release.

Supremacy: I thought it was a real monster at first, but the riff kinda does nothing for me anymore. favorite parts are the verses which are great for singalongs.

Madness: thought it was shit. it's still shit.

Panic Station: I felt like it's the ultimate fun song when I heard it, now it's just moderately fun. but still fun :LOL:

Survival: it made me drop a jaw when I first heard it on zane's show, like I was amazed muse were still capable of this level of epicness (worst muse lyrics ever aside per se) and I still think it's one of the best songs on the album. it's huge, heavy, and has an enormous impact on the listener.

Follow Me: it was too much electronics and sparkles for me at first, but now I'm like "oh fuck it, it's muse". not my favorite, definitely but I've grown to appreciate it I guess. also, massive drop :awesome:

Animals: the epicness of survival and unsustainable made me sort of neglect this song, but now I see how awesome it is. up there among the best from t2l.

Explorers: despite the shit lyrics and the cheese, I still think it's cute and I love it and you can go fuck yourselves.

Big Freeze: too much U2, too many stellar clouds of gas, and even if the choruses are great, and very well sung, I still think it's pretty average.

Save Me: I'm sorry, but if boredom needed an anthem...

Liquid State: awesome, just short and not heavy enough. make those guitars bigger, slap a bridge in there somewhere and you might as well have the "rockiest song on the album" as it was originally advertised

Unsustainable: I love every second of this :LOL: perhaps they could've been more creative with the second drop but I still think it's a successful experiment.

Isolated System: similarly to animals I sort of overlooked this at first, but it's a beauty nonetheless. album top 5, easily.

Archived