I can't be bothered to discuss them in any depth, but they are supposed to relate to a father singing to his baby, but they sound, to me, more like they are being sung to an old person or someone who has had, or is going through difficult life experiences.

Well, to me, the context of the song seems to be aimed at a loved one. It can be your child. It can also be your friends or your partner. So in the context of that group of people, I don't see why it would be even slightly confusing. The lyrics are really straightforward.

Well, to me, the context of the song seems to be aimed at a loved one. It can be your child. It can also be your friends or your partner. So in the context of that group of people, I don't see why it would be even slightly confusing. The lyrics are really straightforward.

Yes, indeed, but the fact that it can, in fact NEEDS to be reinterpreted to fit a wider or different context in order for it to make full sense, makes it open to interpretation, and hence it is ambiguous.

It can be interpreted the way you say and it's an interpretation I also like to think of. It can also be interpreted to be about an imagined future son to father as well as father to future son. It doesn't make full sense if it was totally meant to be a song from a father to a new baby.

And on the cheesiness, which was what I was commenting on, if it had been a song to a lover, then okay, people might think it a bit cheesy, but it's not, which makes it both more ambiguous as well as more poignant in the process. That is my opinion.

/end

It's intentionally ambiguous as to WHO it's sung to, yeah.

We'd only really know for sure it was to his child since he said so.

Could be any loved one at all, and it's definately not just a "protect you while you're young" song... it certainly is saying he'll ALWAYS be there, and I think it makes full sense if you look at it that way.

I would say it could be looked at as "cheesy" if it weren't about his son... but honestly... it would still be pretty fucking romantic. If you consider that cheesy.

It's intentionally ambiguous as to WHO it's sung to, yeah.

We'd only really know for sure it was to his child since he said so.

Could be any loved one at all, and it's definately not just a "protect you while you're young" song... it certainly is saying he'll ALWAYS be there, and I think it makes full sense if you look at it that way.

I would say it could be looked at as "cheesy" if it weren't about his son... but honestly... it would still be pretty fucking romantic. If you consider that cheesy.

Cheesy refers I think to using overused phrases such as "broken hearted" in songs, but yeah, I agree with you, it would still be sentimental and romantic, and I can't really see anything wrong with that either.

I think the fact that it isn't intended in that context adds to it however. And of course, even if we hadn't been told the context, there is the foetal heartbeat in there, which would have given it something extra.

Not sure what we would have made of it, but I think it's symbolic of the life force, of living. I don't know, would we have seen it as a straightforward love song? I'm not sure. It does seem to have wider application like dee3dee said.

EDIT: Didn't see previous two posts when I did mine.

Just one more thing. The very poignant and sad thing about it, is that he won't ALWAYS be there. :( Not unless you believe in angels. That is a very sad thing about parent/child relationships that contributes to the poignancy, for me anyway. The title of the song suggests it has been thought about. Follow Me - follow on from me.

...and since it has Bing's heartbeat?

I'm not sure I would have assumed that had we not been told, though. I mean, sometimes I'm not that sharp on the uptake. :LOL:

And I've not heard that many babies heartbeats.

Hell, I wouldn't know who Bing was if I was a more casual fan, or that he had a son at all. My friends were completely ashamed of me when I couldn't identify Kate Hudson in some chick flick we were watching the other night. :$

Cheesy refers I think to using overused phrases such as "broken hearted" in songs, but yeah, I agree with you, it would still be sentimental and romantic, and I can't really see anything wrong with that either.

Just one more thing. The very poignant and sad thing about it, is that he won't ALWAYS be there. :( Not unless you believe in angels. That is a very sad thing about parent/child relationships that contributes to the poignancy, for me anyway. The title of the song suggests it has been thought about. Follow Me - follow on from me.

Bah, I can pretend it's cheesy and over-sentimental all I like, but the fact is, I would absolutely lose it if someone wrote something like that about me, or our child. :'(

One of the things that was a bit more... subtle?... about the song that I liked was you typically hear things about being there for people in respects to "standing behind" or "backing up" etc. I will be there for you, I will follow you, etc.

Follow Me is standing in FRONT and forging ahead for someone you love, taking all the danger head on to keep someone safe. Old fashioned protectiveness.

(This is what made Hoodoo so damn great, too, btw.)

So... I've been lurking for a while and finally plucked up the courage to register. From what I've seen, the general idea is to hate absolutely everything Muse do and not let anybody else have an opinion, right? I hope I'm right, otherwise my first post is gonna be more awkard than it already is!

As for T2L, I really like it - It's just above BH&R, but not as good as Origin or Abso.

(Hurray for a reply which basically repeats all the opinions in the previous threads)

So... I've been lurking for a while and finally plucked up the courage to register. From what I've seen, the general idea is to hate absolutely everything Muse do and not let anybody else have an opinion, right?

No there's plenty of people who love Muse. You're confusing us with muselive

The only one I remember watching early from that show was Follow Me.

I was trying to avoid spoilers, but hit a link accidentally.

That was also the moment I started to have hope in the album again. :happy:

I figured I missed out on the few weeks the board talked about the album through avoiding the leak and not being able to get the stream to function.

Archived