Space Dementia, Apocalypse Please, Ruled by Secrecy, part of Hoodoo, Cross-Pollination, and maybe the mid-section of B&H.

It you're counting Hoodoo (which I would as well)...Megalomania, although technically that's organ. I don't know if I would say aggressive but maybe able to channel a particular mood. In that case I'd also add parts of Citizen Erased and the beginning of Soaked.

I bought this today and, as a Muse fan, I am sad to report that it is pretty woeful. It's one thing to make a crappy record but to make one without an identity or a concept seems pointless. My initial thoughts on the songs are:

Supremacy - A bond theme

Madness - Zooropa era U2 with a Queen solo

Panic Station - INXS crossed with Thriller era Michael Jackson

Prelude - a snippet of a romantic 50s film soundtrack

Survival - Queen again - Flash Gordon era

Follow Me - Quite nice, if a little Pet Shop Boys. Bellamy also seems to be channeling Neil Hannon these days.

Animals - Better, nice electric-Spanishy guitar too

Explorers - Queen - Don't stop me now

Big Freeze - Back to impersonating Bono now. Awful, poppy, souless garbage (oh, with an uninspired Queeny solo).

Save Me - Melancholic whimsy. Dirge, dirge, dirge, drone, drone, drone

Liquid State - Just utterly forgettable...

Unsustainable - Dubstep (erm, ok then)

Isolated System - Instrumental interlaced with media reportage, would have been acceptable if appended to a good, solid album.

A pretty strange little hybrid in all. I think it's certainly their worst album by quite some margin (and I didn't think much of The Resistance). I am all for a band taking a new approach and direction, but this is not what has happened here. There is no direction.

This is simply a collection of ripped-off sounds, parodies of influences perhaps, occasional wholesale copying of chord progressions or effects. I don't understand what they are trying to achieve with this. If it's to destroy their credibility as a band then I think they're well on their way to achieving it. Muse are a truly awsome band. Once this tour is over I hope they have a good think about what they want to do in future.

One (or two) bad albums doesn't mean the end of a career of course, but it could be the beginning of the end and it needs to be addressed. Look at how terrible U2s output has became with and since All That You Can't Leave Behind. Sometimes a band just loses its motivation and mojo, and dare I say, their muse.

I bought this today and, as a Muse fan, I am sad to report that it is pretty woeful. It's one thing to make a crappy record but to make one without an identity or a concept seems pointless. My initial thoughts on the songs are:

Supremacy - A bond theme

Madness - Zooropa era U2 with a Queen solo

Panic Station - INXS crossed with Thriller era Michael Jackson

Prelude - a snippet of a romantic 50s film soundtrack

Survival - Queen again - Flash Gordon era

Follow Me - Quite nice, if a little Pet Shop Boys. Bellamy also seems to be channeling Neil Hannon these days.

Animals - Better, nice electric-Spanishy guitar too

Explorers - Queen - Don't stop me now

Big Freeze - Back to impersonating Bono now. Awful, poppy, souless garbage (oh, with an uninspired Queeny solo).

Save Me - Melancholic whimsy. Dirge, dirge, dirge, drone, drone, drone

Liquid State - Just utterly forgettable...

Unsustainable - Dubstep (erm, ok then)

Isolated System - Instrumental interlaced with media reportage, would have been acceptable if appended to a good, solid album.

A pretty strange little hybrid in all. I think it's certainly their worst album by quite some margin (and I didn't think much of The Resistance). I am all for a band taking a new approach and direction, but this is not what has happened here. There is no direction.

This is simply a collection of ripped-off sounds, parodies of influences perhaps, occasional wholesale copying of chord progressions or effects. I don't understand what they are trying to achieve with this. If it's to destroy their credibility as a band then I think they're well on their way to achieving it. Muse are a truly awsome band. Once this tour is over I hope they have a good think about what they want to do in future.

One (or two) bad albums doesn't mean the end of a career of course, but it could be the beginning of the end and it needs to be addressed. Look at how terrible U2s output has became with and since All That You Can't Leave Behind. Sometimes a band just loses its motivation and mojo, and dare I say, their muse.

I agree with most of that, although I do enjoy around half of the songs. I don't think they need their own directions and not a compilation of tributes to their inspirations.

I love Save Me and Liquid State but I've found myself skipping both lately.

Same here. I'm having to wait like 15 minutes after the album finishes playing so I can play these songs so their existence can make some sort of sense...

I count a maximum of six piano songs from their albums that I would consider "agressive" (and not counting anything from T2L being so). Do I have the wrong idea of what an agressive song is?

Stuff like Space Dementia, Ruled By Secrecy, Apocalypse Please and Hoodoo.

I agree with most of that, although I do enjoy around half of the songs. I don't think they need their own directions and not a compilation of tributes to their inspirations.

I quite like, Supremacy, Madness, Follow Me and Animals but they don't stand up to the best of Muse. The rest of the album is pretty intolerable. Who knows though, maybe it's a grower. ;)

Whenever I listen to Survival on the treadmill, I find I want to punch the air Rocky-style during all the riffage. I liked it before, but I like it even better in the context of the album. I do need to figure out a nice re-ordering, though.

Try this:

Unsustainable

Prelude

Survival

Panic Station

Madness

Follow Me

Big Freeze

Save Me

Explorers

Supremacy

Liquid State

Animals

Isolated System

Whenever I listen to Survival on the treadmill, I find I want to punch the air Rocky-style during all the riffage. I liked it before, but I like it even better in the context of the album. I do need to figure out a nice re-ordering, though.

Unsustainable

Supremacy

Prelude

Survival

Explorers

Liquid State

Big Freeze

Panic Station

Follow Me

Madness

Save Me

Animals

Isolated System

That really works for me :)

Save Me is beautiful, really nice melancholic, dreamy soundscape. Liquid State is a good track, but just cus of the riffs really, it's not up to other Muse song standards.

My problem is that pretty much everything about the song is incredibly generic, including the riff. Weird, lots of people were anticipating it to be one of the best on the album.

My problem is that pretty much everything about the song is incredibly generic, including the riff. Weird, lots of people were anticipating it to be one of the best on the album.

Indeed. I guess this is a testimony to heavy not = good.

Has anyone looked at the numbers etched on the vinyl? Mine says my name! :LOL: Was pretty taken aback... I knew they wrote catalogue numbers on there but not names!

EDIT: Wait... they all say Matt on them apparently. Curse my common name... :(

:LOL:

Archived