I love how the reviewers of the song in the song descriptions didn't know what the fuck they were talking about it when they said the song is in 6/8. They must have just been like "Sounds like a really complex time signature. Must be 6/8!":LOL:

I'm pretty sure it is in 5/4

Yes it is. :yesey:

I love how the reviewers of the song in the song descriptions didn't know what the fuck they were talking about it when they said the song is in 6/8. They must have just been like "Sounds like a really complex time signature. Must be 6/8!":LOL:

I'm pretty sure it is in 5/4

It's definitely 5 beats per bar, but the beats sound more like 8th notes rather than quarter notes unless the tempo is pretty quick?

EDIT: No, you're right actually. xD

Yeah in 5/4 the tempo would be around 170 which is fast though not like an impossible tempo.

Yeaah, that's a lot for a song that sounds like it's being played at a moderate tempo. :LOL:

Must feel like that because of the drum rhythm. So good!

EDIT: The snare rhythm when the first 'heavy bit' comes in. How does he move that fast!?

How the fuck do you people know what time signature a song is in??? :(

Count how many beats there are in a bar. For example, listen to the Agitated outro riff and try counting 1-2-3-4 as it repeats and you will see it doesn't work. Try 1-2-3-4-5 instead and it will fit the rhythm perfectly, thus it is in 5/4 time. I hope that helps, 'cause explaining musical terms to a non musician is hard :chuckle:

edit: also what Jedi of Cydonia said.

Actually, well correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 5/8 and 5/4 are essentially the same, just different ways to write the music with 5/8 being each beat is an eighth note and 5/4 each note is a quarter note.

So technically it could be either of those or even 5/2 or 5/1 or 5/16, it just depends on how you want to write it.

5/4 is the most common quintuple meter though.

Actually, well correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 5/8 and 5/4 are essentially the same, just different ways to write the music with 5/8 being each beat is an eighth note and 5/4 each note is a quarter note.

So technically it could be either of those or even 5/2 or 5/1 or 5/16, it just depends on how you want to write it.

Yeah... that is correct, the second number is just the length of the beat. In that case, it could actually be 5/8... it would be completely based on the time signature.

5/1 wouldn't work for this song, that would imply a 5 bar cycle, and it's not that..?

Technically yes, but listen to the accents.

Remember the album cover that had the explicit lyric tag on it? Do you think it could be from the "kill yourselves" part? nahhh...

it's the dvd content.. don't you think one of the reviewers would've made a note on an explicit lyric by now?

the cd only version doesn't have that label

Technically yes, but listen to the accents.

Yep. There are some subtle differences in how 5/8 tracks/pieces tend to sound compared to 5/4 - generally speaking the choice is made based on which time signature "suits" the song better. As a general rule, 5/8 feels "quicker" than 5/4.

And 6/8 is not 2/4. It's 3/4 (though again, it wouldn't quite feel the same).

Yep. There are some subtle differences in how 5/8 tracks/pieces tend to sound compared to 5/4 - generally speaking the choice is made based on which time signature "suits" the song better. As a general rule, 5/8 feels "quicker" than 5/4.

And 6/8 is not 2/4. It's 3/4 (though again, it wouldn't quite feel the same).

I think I get what you're saying and though 6/8 and 3/4 are related they aren't the same because 6/8 is compound duple and 3/4 is simple triple.

Edit: Never mind me if you knew this and I just didn't get what you were saying. Like were you just saying that 6/8 and 3/4 are more interchangeable than 6/8 and 2/4?

Yeah basically. Trying to impose a 2/4 rhythm onto a song written for 6/8 would just be utter chaos. 3/4 would sound a little different but it would be workable (in theory, anyway).

This is definitely 5/4, though.

This is the first time (besides Agitated) that Muse has done any song in a non-standard time signature, right? I never really pay attention to what time signature the songs are in but I think I would have noticed if there was a song in something like 5/4 or 7/4

This is the first time (besides Agitated) that Muse has done any song in a non-standard time signature, right? I never really pay attention to what time signature the songs are in but I think I would have noticed if there was a song in something like 5/4 or 7/4

Micro Cuts shifts between 4/4 and 6/4

Yeah basically. Trying to impose a 2/4 rhythm onto a song written for 6/8 would just be utter chaos. 3/4 would sound a little different but it would be workable (in theory, anyway).

You could do either way. If 2/4 every 3 notes of the 6/4 bar makes a beat (making it a triplet rhythm in 2/4).

Archived