the set would have been perfect if they played Apocalypse Please right after Dracula Mountain riff :facemelt:

I really hope they bring back AP for stadiums

Toronto #1 and Toronto #2 just showed that Muse actually know what "real rotation" means

they're just unwilling to do it on a regular basis :(

and for a reason though

response to DS was absolutely lame judging by the vids

I hope our reaction was lame in a good way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LpZe5digf4

I think it's so common, it's hard to even classify them as "casuals" anymore... And sadly, a lot of people consider themselves "big fans" of bands, when they have only heard the most recent album, or not even that.

I met someone before my gig who was raving about being a huge fan and how their new shows were crap - but "hadn't gotten around" to listening to T2L before the gig, and only knew the singles from BHR and TR.

People just download singles off of iTunes nowdays, and call themselves "huge fans" for paying $1.29 for a song played constantly on the radio.

Rock isn't even that popular in the US anymore, not really like it used to be. We've slid so much into contrived Top 40 pop.

My one mainstream rock radio station struggles to play more than one song an hour that wasn't released over a decade ago, and rock bands are typically doing better overseas than in the US.

So, "rocking out" at gigs has been dead for a long time. It upsets me when people act like it's just Muse, and we hate them in the US. We really don't, there's just a lot of people who've never been exposed to anything but Madness, and it's not really a solid example of what the rest of their songs are like.

I'm sure if you went to a Justin Beiber concert, the crowd would be really wound up...

Somehow I feel it's not just the listeners. There are large number of casual fans at all Muse concerts just due to the popularity they've gained. I think when I mean casual it's just a general culture type thing that's different rather than how much you like the band.

For example, Reading's crowd was excellent, but I highly doubt everyone in the crowd was a huge fan seeing as it was a festival and not a fan-special gig like SBE.

It's not even because rock music isn't popular. Electronic music concerts can have amazing crowds and lots of energy. It's just that in the US it's sort of become custom to just stand around. Sure there's some jumping but for the most part it's just standing and watching and sometimes head-bobbing. It's something rather recent especially if you look at US pro-shots of bands only about 10 years ago.

Slightly related, Lightning Bolt was the first decent US crowd I'd seen in years.

And I guess I mean extension to Canada when I say this, since it seems the two countries have similar crowd issues.

I hope our reaction was lame in a good way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LpZe5digf4

you can't judge the overall response by front row's response. it's usually loud and proper.

but from another vid shot from the stands it's clear that most of the guys were standing still, not jumping, not headbanging as if they were listening to Explorers

btw I'm PeterShishlin guy who left a comment on your vid :p

I agree it is very recent. I was still going with friends to concerts up until 4-5 years ago, quite frequently, and there were some rough gigs even then.

I'm not really upset about it, though, and it's made my concert experiences MUCH better. Hopefully the bands realize the lack of energetics is cultural, and not people being rude or uninterested. Because really that's simply not the case.

I agree it is very recent. I was still going with friends to concerts up until 4-5 years ago, quite frequently, and there were some rough gigs even then.

I'm not really upset about it, though, and it's made my concert experiences MUCH better. Hopefully the bands realize the lack of energetics is cultural, and not people being rude or uninterested. Because really that's simply not the case.

I'm sure they've realized by now it's not out of rudeness, but if I were in a band and I saw that crowd reaction to Dead Star after crowds like SBE and V Fest I'd feel a bit... disappointed.

I'm sure they've realized by now it's not out of rudeness, but if I were in a band and I saw that crowd reaction to Dead Star after crowds like SBE and V Fest I'd feel a bit... disappointed.

Bring it to the stadiums and play it in front of crowds that don't suck.

Unless it's not a B-side.

I thought you were a fan :noey:

I've been trying to figure out whether that mistake is simply a sign of my own ignorance/bad memory or could it be used to convey how for a large segment of the fan base DS remains a more unknown song (the whole "even the board regular got it wrong").

But yeah, I've previously admitted of having a weak grasp of non-official studio album tracks. I have no idea what Dracula Mountain is either. Guess I'm too apathetic a person to get really involved even un things I really like.

tl;dr: rambling excuses

Hopefully the bands realize the lack of energetics is cultural, and not people being rude or uninterested. Because really that's simply not the case.

Chris has mentioned in a couple interviews that they recognize that. But I'm sure it's still strange to play in front of a relatively still audience.

I have no idea what Dracula Mountain is either. Guess I'm too apathetic a person to get really involved even un things I really like.

A song that Muse previously covered at for example the Earls Court gigs in 2004(or maybe just one of them, can't remember)

From the videos i've seen NA gigs do seem to have weaker crowds than UK, but muse crowds in general are mush less energetic than with other bands, even in the UK. LG arena for example, i got there late but still got a good spot which for most arena bands would be in the heart of the moshing, but when muse came on i was still a good 3m behind ANYONE i could see jumping. I guess it's just due to the high amount of casual fans at the gigs now.

From the videos i've seen NA gigs do seem to have weaker crowds than UK, but muse crowds in general are mush less energetic than with other bands, even in the UK. LG arena for example, i got there late but still got a good spot which for most arena bands would be in the heart of the moshing, but when muse came on i was still a good 3m behind ANYONE i could see jumping. I guess it's just due to the high amount of casual fans at the gigs now.

This only applies for UK crowds though.

:)

That brings back such amazing memories of my first ever Muse gig :happy:. Wish the bass was a bit punchier but otherwise, ace.

For anyone who's not heard the one they did back in 2004, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGguNEgveUA.

Felt the same about the bass when I saw the first video. EC's sounds so much better. If they played it at the tempo they did in Toronto with the 2004 sound that would've been incredible.

Hearing the EC recording though also makes me sad at how horribly compressed the radio rip is. Could've been such a better sounding bootleg if not for it.

Yerr, tis' a bit of a shame but hey - it's a decent recording of Muse at their prime with Dead Star instead of DES/Glorious AND Dracula Mountain.

Still one of my favourite bootlegs, although I'm so glad I went on night #1 as I felt the set was a little better - Crying Shame rather than DES, Dead Star, Bliss extended, TOADA, better all round for me.

I've said this forever and a day but, quite simply put, UK crowds are better than US crowds at concerts.

I don't know why and it's not a shot at US fans but from every single video I've ever seen of concerts, the crowds in the UK are ten times more into every song.

Well I remember the UK crowd being pretty boring at Wembley 2007

Archived