Rock is much more popular in the US than electronic music...it's just I think Americans don't really think about rocking out at concerts unless it is something like Metallica or Disturbed where there is no doubt at all it is rock.

It's likely that the mainstream listeners in the US just think about Muse as a pop/other non-rock genres band. Muse is kinda in that awkward spot in the US where a lot of people know about them but since the US is obsessed with radio-played pop singles the mainstream listeners only know like a couple songs by Muse such as Starlight, Uprising and Madness, hence why they would think of them as a pop band.

ya thats a good point and i agree, most fans are casual listeners so they just dont know as many songs so they arent as engaged.

I remember watching videos of a US gig on the last tour (might have been Indy 2011) and even right near the front, there was tons of space and everyone in shot was just literally standing completely still for the length of the (10 minute) video. I really don't understand their gig culture.

Not in the US, of course :awesome:

Well no.. probably not... if anything they were probably testing that for stadium use (MK Jam was played in a few arenas afterwards too so jams aren't always exclusive).

Like I really care though considering I've seen Lightning Bolt play it in person.

I remember watching videos of a US gig on the last tour (might have been Indy 2011) and even right near the front, there was tons of space and everyone in shot was just literally standing completely still for the length of the (10 minute) video. I really don't understand their gig culture.

Casuals. Everyone's a casual. And unless you're at the barrier it just feels awkward to start going crazy when everyone else is as still as an opera audience.

Casuals. Everyone's a casual. And unless you're at the barrier it just feels awkward to start going crazy when everyone else is as still as an opera audience.

when i saw them at chicago this tour i felt the crowd was very energized. i was at the barier and everytime i looked back people were jumping dancing and such. definitely varies some from gig to gig but for the most part ya, casual listeners

Well no.. probably not... if anything they were probably testing that for stadium use (MK Jam was played in a few arenas afterwards too so jams aren't always exclusive).

Like I really care though considering I've seen Lightning Bolt play it in person.

Yeah. Would be perfect if they used it for Apocalypse Please (Abso 10th and everything)

They probably won't, though.

And :'(

And this. US crowds are 96.7% casuals. That's the reason why no one reacts properly for Dead Star.

The 96.7 number is randomly generated

Just rewatched the Japan proshot, how in the fuck does Morgan get his hands from the keyboard to his guitar in time? Especially considering the pick problem.

He's Morgan. He can do and play anything and anytime he wants.

Yeah. Would be perfect if they used it for Apocalypse Please (Abso 10th and everything)

They probably won't, though.

And :'(

And this. US crowds are 96.7% casuals. That's the reason why no one reacts properly for Dead Star.

The 96.7 number is randomly generated

if i were to give the percent of casual listeneres from muse shows ive gone to, id say 84%

I remember a "US crowds are crap" moment when Brandon Flowers said onstage at a Killers gig in California a few years ago "Why are you all sitting down? This isn't the fucking zoo or the park"

Obviously every gig has a portion of casual listeners that gets bigger when there's more people in a crowd. It just seems that in America, that proportion is higher than it is in other places. Not to say there aren't casual listeners who go to big gigs - I went to see The Black Keys despite only knowing 6 songs - but it does seem it's more heavy on the NA continent.

I think it's so common, it's hard to even classify them as "casuals" anymore... And sadly, a lot of people consider themselves "big fans" of bands, when they have only heard the most recent album, or not even that.

I met someone before my gig who was raving about being a huge fan and how their new shows were crap - but "hadn't gotten around" to listening to T2L before the gig, and only knew the singles from BHR and TR.

People just download singles off of iTunes nowdays, and call themselves "huge fans" for paying $1.29 for a song played constantly on the radio.

Rock isn't even that popular in the US anymore, not really like it used to be. We've slid so much into contrived Top 40 pop.

My one mainstream rock radio station struggles to play more than one song an hour that wasn't released over a decade ago, and rock bands are typically doing better overseas than in the US.

So, "rocking out" at gigs has been dead for a long time. It upsets me when people act like it's just Muse, and we hate them in the US. We really don't, there's just a lot of people who've never been exposed to anything but Madness, and it's not really a solid example of what the rest of their songs are like.

I'm sure if you went to a Justin Beiber concert, the crowd would be really wound up...

The thing I don't get with Muse is why can't they play a set similar to last night every night. Really all they did was add one rarity and take away one song from Resistance and replace it with PIB. Everybody was very happy with the set. All they need to do is play one older, rare song to appease long time listeners. This tour it could be Dead Star, then switch for the next leg. Would make the concerts much more interesting.

Also just saying that animals is back

But on a horrible note, so is feeling good occasionally

I think Feeling Good now and then is a good thing. It's just when it gets played all the time

Feeling Good >>>>>> Explorers

I think it has to do with how we view celebrities here, too. We're too busy recording everything on our phones because "wow, there's a famous person right there." We don't want to miss a single move that famous person onstage is making.

And SS, you were spot on with your iTunes comment, too, and how it generates casual fans. That's something I never expected to happen with the death of the cd/vinyl format: that people would simply stop buying albums and just buy the singles. Boom. birth of the casual fan generation.

It's so sad.

I didn't care who was watching me in Vegas, I partied my ass off. Well. As much as I could in the seats, lol.

I think, too, if the band would reserve the first 10 rows and the floor for fanclub purchases, it would probably help the atmosphere a bit, at least up front. A lot of massive fans are shut out of the good seats because they can't afford vip seating, and don't want to attempt the pit. Despite the lame pit here in the states, it has a bad reputation. GA concerts were banned in some states up until a few years ago because of people being injured and killed. Corporations who owned venues didn't want to take on the liability of general admission shows, either.

Archived