I was second row from the barrier. I could not have asked for a better first show. I still can't decide if I was more shocked by Sunburn or the fact that we got both Map (my ultimate dream to hear live, next to CE) and Hysteria, which, to my knowledge, hasn't happened before on this tour.

We did get MK Ultra last tour though.. I think.. not that it really makes up for it. Last night certainly made up for it though, I'd say.

Last tour got:

Uprising

Resistance

New Born + Ashamed outro riff

Supermassive

MK Ultra

Interlude + Hysteria + Back in Black riff

Nishe + United States of Eurasia

Feeling Good

Helsinki Jam + Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Unnatural Selection

Time is Running Out

Plug in Baby

Exogenesis Overture

Stockholm Syndrome + Township Rebellion riff

Man with a Harmonica + Knights of Cydonia

Amazing to see what a difference a tour makes eh?

I really don't think Muse look up the city's population the night before the gig and decides to play more songs if it's a bigger city...I think they just play whatever they feel like. I do hope they do something special for St. Louis since our gig got cancelled last year, but I don't really see that happening

Muse's longest shows in the US 2010:

Atlanta

Washington DC

Philadelphia

New York City

Boston

Chicago

Houston

Seattle

Oakland/San Francisco

Los Angeles

Muse's smallest shows in the US 2010:

Detroit (cut short due to Auburn Hills curfew, thus why they played the Joe Lewis Arena instead)

Minneapolis

Oklahoma City

Cincinnati

Columbus

Raleigh

Charlottesville

Not really a coincidence. Detroit was so short due to curfew in Auburn Hills. Really, the only exception. The major cities, usually better crowds, got a bigger set.

Muse's longest shows in the US 2013:

San Diego

Los Angeles

Oakland/San Francisco

Detroit

Muse's shortest shows in the US 2013:

Sacramento

Portland

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Trend is staying the same.

lol that's funny about curfew, cuz the show was out by 10:30 last night.

Interesting figures though - Chicago should get the same treatment tomorrow then.

I'm predicting a similar length and Bliss gets played tomorrow.

And yeah, Auburn Hills has a 10 o'clock curfew and they came on late, I think. You can read the 2010 gig thread, tons of people were worried about the curfew in AH. There's only two cities that buck the trend, Cleveland and Minnesota. Seems like the "big name cities" get the long shows.

I'm predicting a similar length and Bliss gets played tomorrow.

And yeah, Auburn Hills has a 10 o'clock curfew and they came on late, I think. You can read the 2010 gig thread, tons of people were worried about the curfew in AH. There's only two cities that buck the trend, Cleveland and Minnesota. Seems like the "big name cities" get the long shows.

I guess the Foo Fighters didn't give a shit about the curfew because they played till midnight on a Monday night when I saw them in 2011. Radiohead definitely played past 10 last year there too.

Matt scared me during the first minute, no guitar :eek:

:LOL: Matt was probably like, ok Dom you interrupted my guitar wankery so I will not play it at all! Take that! *pouty face*

*edit - but no, did he just have the wrong guitar or something? I thought it was weird how he walked out with the guitar AND a mic in his hand, and then just quickly handed off the guitar to a tech*

:LOL: Matt was probably like, ok Dom you interrupted my guitar wankery so I will not play it at all! Take that! *pouty face*

*edit - but no, did he just have the wrong guitar or something? I thought it was weird how he walked out with the guitar AND a mic in his hand, and then just quickly handed off the guitar to a tech*

it was seriously out of tune... the bit of wankery he did sounded terrible. He probably chucked it off to get it changed for a new one/tuned.

Yeah last tour you got BOTH New Born and Stockholm :LOL:

... well yes, there's that. You also got Plug in Baby. :chuckle:

Muse's longest shows in the US 2010:

Atlanta

Washington DC

Philadelphia

New York City

Boston

Chicago

Houston

Seattle

Oakland/San Francisco

Los Angeles

Muse's smallest shows in the US 2010:

Detroit (cut short due to Auburn Hills curfew, thus why they played the Joe Lewis Arena instead)

Minneapolis

Oklahoma City

Cincinnati

Columbus

Raleigh

Charlottesville

Not really a coincidence. Detroit was so short due to curfew in Auburn Hills. Really, the only exception. The major cities, usually better crowds, got a bigger set.

Muse's longest shows in the US 2013:

San Diego

Los Angeles

Oakland/San Francisco

Detroit

Muse's shortest shows in the US 2013:

Sacramento

Portland

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Trend is staying the same.

Yeah the bigger/better crowds = longer set trend does make sense. Even if Atlanta, DC & Philadelphia was left off the tour schedule this time around (leg 2 pending ofc).

Long way to match the sets in Phoenix and Portland in 2010 that got 16 songs with Guiding Light instead of MOTP and MK Ultra, mind.

it was seriously out of tune... the bit of wankery he did sounded terrible. He probably chucked it off to get it changed for a new one/tuned.

Matt smacked his guitar hard against the railings of the stage entry steps behind the drum riser. He looked at it, started playing, noticed it was out of tune and dumped it.

Muse has come on most nights around 8:25. Dead Sara is usually 7 or 7:15.

Awesome, thanks for the info. They play for 1.5 hrs or so? Still trying to decide on staying in a hotel afterwards. Figures, haven't been to a concert in a couple years and there's an effin blizzard the same night! :LOL:

Awesome, thanks for the info. They play for 1.5 hrs or so? Still trying to decide on staying in a hotel afterwards. Figures, haven't been to a concert in a couple years and there's an effin blizzard the same night! :LOL:

I think shows this tour have been about 1:30-1:45 in length. Have fun!

So I was lucky enough to travel to see them play 3 shows in a row. Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago. It was nice to see a little bit of variation in the setlists. Cleveland was the weakest and Detroit was the best. It was awesome to have MotP and Sunburn in the same setlist for Detroit. It was at the expense of Animals, but that's ok because I saw that in Cleveland. And they brought it back for Chicago.

I haven't read all 500 pages of this thread, but I gotta say, Liquid State might be my favorites of the new songs to hear live. I love when Chris is walking to the center platform and throws his arms up asking for some crowd reaction. And just seeing him sing and jam on that crunchy bass line is freaking badass. And I'm sure this has been discussed, but I just can't believe they don't jam out at the end of that song. It practically begs for it to happen. I wonder if they will ever add that to the show (like they do with Uprising).

Hearing Sunburn in back to back shows was really awesome as well. I think I read someone mention that Matt kind of introduces the song like no one in the crowd will have any idea what they are about to play, which he sorta did, but I feel like the song got nice reactions in both Detroit and Chicago. I wonder if getting decent reactions will allow them to expand to their back catalogue in the future.

I was desparately wanting to hear Bliss one of the nights, but didn't get it. I am going to be so pissed if they play it in Columbus tonight! I want to go but just can't justify spending money on a 4th show. Plus it would be another 2 hour drive each way and I have to go back to stupid work tomorrow.

Overall, it was an awesome road trip. And I'm one of the complainers about not playing more rare stuff each night, but at least I got Sunburn in back to back nights. Hope the 2nd leg in the fall brings them back somewhere close so I can at least catch them a 4th time this year!

Archived