2012.09.20 - E-Werk, Cologne, Germany

Super Sammy!

Argh, planning for this is a pain in the ass! Probably have to change companion, so I don't know the times yet, haven't booked anything, trains are getting more expensive over time and overnight accommodation is getting rarer and rarer (also more expensive).

Will anyone with 2 spare seats drive from/via Dresden to Cologne and/or back?

I translated the entire article, here you go:

Muse

Maximum capacities and paternal pride

It only seems appropriate for Matthew Bellamy (Vocals), Dominic Howard (Drums) and Chris Wolstenholme (Bass) to travel with a private jet on their promotional tour. That is because, during the 18 years of their existance, they have worked their way forward to the Olympus of Rock. Their last album "The Resistance" has led the charts of 19 countries and catapulted the Britrock band into the big arenas in Germany, too. This autumn, Muse are finally on the road again to bring their bombast rock to the stage. But before that, their new record "The 2nd Law" will be released.

During the interview in a first class hotel in Berlin, Matt Bellamy and Dom Howard tell us about musical maximum capacities and the inspiration of being a father.

Ticketmaster: Matt, Dom, your single "Survival" is the official song of the Olympic Games 2012 in London. Did you anticipate the many different opinions on the song?

Matthew Bellamy: I think that we knew that. We often get different opinions on our songs, even by our hardcore fans. Even for "Supermassive Black Hole" we were harshly criticised. And "Survival" is, strictly speaking, no actual pop song because it does not even have a refrain! It was merely an experiment to create something that was as extreme as the occasion for the song.

Dominic Howard: There are people who love the song and then there are those who say it's the worst song they ever heard! I am fine with this. When you listen to the song for the very first time, you think: What the hell is this? I find, as bombastic and epic as the song sounds, it reflects the Olympic spirit perfectly. Nevertheless it was quite bold of the Olympic committee to choose a song that is so heavy / divisive.

Ticketmaster: When the athletes enter the stadium to your song or receive their medals - does that make you proud?

Dom: On the one hand, it's a moment of pride, on the other hand I could laugh my head off thinking about it because it's all just so surreal.

Ticketmaster: You seem to be less eager than for example the fellows of Radiohead.

Dom: Maybe. Making music is still good fun for us. It can be very deep and emotional, but the process of making it makes me be happy and feel alive. Other elements, for instance Matt's lyrics, are of course by all means serious.

Ticketmaster: Do you have to force yourselves to sound even more epic by now because you've reached a point where you cannot excel yourselves anymore?

Matt: With respect to "Survival", it is exactly the meaning of the song: fight for your life to desperation! That's the feeling we tried to capture on the song.

Dom: We are always afraid of repeating ourselves. For every album. This always defined our process of making it. The difference is that you can actually grasp it this time. "The 2nd Law" is definitely the most various conglomeration of songs we have ever recorded and brought together on an album.

Ticketmaster: You are rumoured to have worked together with lots of guest musicians for "The 2nd Law"!

Dom: Oh yeah, all in all we worked with 70 different people. The orchestra was bigger than anything we ever had on a record before. The choir on its own consisted of 32 people. We also had four elder men from Stevie Wonder's backing band in our studio who played the trumpet and sax.

Matt: In a way, we tried to achieve a balance between technologic, electronic music and organic sounds. We wanted real musicians, a genuine orchestra and a real wind section. We wanted to try to keep it more genuine, rather than burying ourselves in synths and sample machines again. There are so many brilliant musicians in the world and so many music is being made without them. I wanted to involve at least a part of them.

Ticketmaster: In your private life there have been drastic changes during the last two years, Matt. You are engaged to the Hollywood actress Kate Hudson, became a father and moved from Italy to Los Angeles. Has this affected the record in some way?

Matt: Definitely! If you undergo such major changes in your life, being creative is very easy. Becoming a father changes your view on the entire world. It was the best change whatsoever because having a baby in your house is the biggest fun you could possibly think of. I think my music always issued from a kind of border area of my brain that lets me be crazy and is responsible for conspiracy theories and apocalyptic predictions in our songs. This side of me has not changed much. But new, personal elements came in addition that makes our music more human in a way. I have written a love song for Kate for example.

Ticketmaster: That is pretty optimistic! Don't you know her movie "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days"?

Matt: Luckily I had the chance to watch it for half an hour. I was zapping through channels and said to Kate: "Look, it's you!" and she said: "Don't watch that, it's horrible!" She often feels awkward about her movies. So she only let me watch it for half an hour but it was indeed frightening!

Ticketmaster: How do you deal with constantly being in glamour magazines with her now?

Matt: I just feel embarrassed really! Every time I think: Hopefully no Muse fan will see those pictures! But Kate and I are becoming better in dealing with it. The paps were everywhere at the beginning. By now, the situation is more at ease and I hope that things will be more relaxed.

Dom: For me it's pretty funny to see photos of Matt in Pyjamas in the garden at the back of the house. Poor lad! But then I have seen him in worse conditions.

Ticketmaster: How has the chemistry between the band changed throughout the years?

Dom: We're all still friends and even spend our free time together. We go on holidays, like on our recent trip to Greece with a few friends. Also, we all moved to Los Angeles one and a half years ago in loyalty to Matt. Of course there are still differences in the studio (creativity-wise), especially between Matt and me. But then we often realise that we meant the same things in the first place and we can go for a beer.

Ticketmaster: Do you always commute between London and Los Angeles now?

Dom: Exactly. We have lately been in London most of the time; we developed large parts of our record there. Of course we've been to L.A. with the band several times before. And every time we landed there, I thought: It's pretty nice here, it's always sunny and there are palm trees - pretty exotic for us Englishmen. But what I like most about L.A. is that it's so Rock'n'Roll. You get the feeling rock music actually is still alive here.

Ticketmaster: Apropos: Muse have won countless awards for their live shows. You're soon going to be on tour again. Are you excited yet?

Matt: Absolutely! I reckon that our new album is much easier and better to perform live than our last one - which benefits us and our audience. It has those big rock moments but also something that sounds rather soft and silent. Our last tour was lacking that a little.

Ticketmaster: Do you even recognise the audience at your gigantic shows anymore?

Matt: At the beginning of every concert, you are rather self-absorbed and highly focused on the music. But the longer the show is going on, the more you open up. You have fun. You look at the people. And you're starting to interact. It's the best feeling ever. Because you really just live the moment and you don't think about the past or the future. There's something really puristic about being on stage.

Ticketmaster: Matt, you are reported to hold the record for having smashed the biggest number of guitars (140).

Matt: I've heard of it but I can't believe it. That's just a rumor, as far as I'm concerned!

Ticketmaster: What can you tell us about the stage design for the upcoming concerts?

Matt: I think our arena tour this autumn is going to be a little more reduced. We rather want to convey through our music itself as compared to our last tour and we want a more intimate atmosphere. Next year we are going to play the biggest open-air tour of all time though. It's going to be utterly crazy, a massive spectacle!

Ticketmaster: Well, you've already had a U.F.O.!

Matt: I've always been fascinated with flying objects. I always want something to fly above the crowd. It would be my dream to have an entire solar system (complete with the sun and planets) orbiting the audience's heads so everyone thinks they are in Space. But it's quite tricky to put into action. Another problem is the wind. But we're working on it.

Ticketmaster: And what can possibly be in line for Muse after that?

Dom: It will be a time to reflect and think about doing something completely different for the three of us. We have fulfilled our record deal with Warner over six albums. That might be an opportunity to publish something by other means, detached from the album format. And musically it could mean to create something minimalistic, almost acoustic. The end of "Survival" sounds so epic, there's no chance to push it any further. So maybe it's time to start again from scratch.

Ticketmaster: You must be kidding: Muse with acoustic guitars in pubs?!

Matt: Well, at least it would be interesting to give it a shot.

I translated the entire article, here you go:

Thanks so much for that. Nice balanced interview. Matt does indeed seem to have a yearning to take a step back, well musically at least, to something more chilled. He did actually say similar things last time about doing something more intimate. I wonder actually, if in talking about the difference with The Resistance, he is actually referring to an increase in quieter songs, rather than rockier songs, which won't please some of course. Incidentally I thought they had another album to do on the contract. Maybe the last one will be a best of.

I think its nice to hear about their lives as well and build up a picture of how it is for them. I liked the fact that Dom said they all moved to LA out of loyalty to Matt. :) Oh and actually, not that I've seen many of her films, I quite liked "How to lose guy in ten days" I thought Kate was funny in it though maybe it was a bit frightening in parts! :chuckle:

Except that only Dom moved in LA.

Well, and Tom and Dom Anderson I think as well. Or did they live in LA already? Basically it seems the whole crowd may have moved to LA apart from Chris. (I don't know who all the people Dom is referring to are incidentally)

Saying that, it's nice and supportive, but I think it's nicer that they have London as a base.

Did anyone get to know if they've won tickets yet? Even though I've bought my ticket already, it could always be nice taking someone with me :)

Oh god, I'm so desperately hoping to win tickets (not giving up hope until the day is over). Then I could sell the ones I bought and from that money I could afford overnight accommodation.

Oh god, I'm so desperately hoping to win tickets (not giving up hope until the day is over). Then I could sell the ones I bought and from that money I could afford overnight accommodation.

And I hope that people win tickets who couldn't buy tickets cause of these ticketmaster eBay mafia assholes!

Just in case that there is someone with one ticket left, please contact me. Please!!!!

Ok...so here's the deal: I'm looking for a Dutch fan that lives in 'De Randstad', has a car and wants to go to the gig. If you don't mind bringing someone along for the ride then I have a ticket for cost price + spliting the delivery costs of the ticket (that means EUR 70 for the ticket). The petrol costs of course will be split. Leave a message here if you're interested... Oh...and I'd prefer to leave early on the day of the gig but that's not an absolute must (and drive back after the gig...that is an absolute must ;))...

Ok...so here's the deal: I'm looking for a Dutch fan that lives in 'De Randstad', has a car and wants to go to the gig. If you don't mind bringing someone along for the ride then I have a ticket for cost price + spliting the delivery costs of the ticket (that means EUR 70 for the ticket). The petrol costs of course will be split. Leave a message here if you're interested... Oh...and I'd prefer to leave early on the day of the gig but that's not an absolute must (and drive back after the gig...that is an absolute must ;))...

When you say Randstad you mean Den Haag right?

I do have school both days but I really want to go now!

Archived