2012.09.20 - E-Werk, Cologne, Germany

Super Sammy!

This. Was. Awesome. Effing awesome!

Tiny venue, great crowd, barrier, the boys in a great mood ... can I turn back time and have this evening again?

All my worries concerning the new album are gone - the songs were all great!! :dance:

I could just shoot myself for leaving too early as Chris and Dom came out for pics later ...

Poor Chris, he looked absolutely terrified when it was his turn to sing!

:LOL: My thoughts exactly! He did a great job, though!

Amazing gig! All the new songs are so good and were performed brilliantly. This will be a great album. So much to take in, and I haven't time to catch up on the clips for reminders, but most surprising song is Panic Station. It is the most different for Muse, I think. There's lots of exciting stuff in the new songs though. Can't wait for the album. :D

Now THAT was how a gig is supposed to be! What an awesome night!

No support act beforehand (YAY!) ...just straight to the nitty gritty without big distracting video screen, pulsating columns of light or floating ballerina's (although they are f'in awesome distractions ;))

Starting off with a new song was basically just saying...we're cutting straight to the chase. Great song...not extremely surprising or so....but it doesn't have to be just as long as that Muse sound we love so much is at least there... and it is! And how!

Panic Station is definitely the most surprising of the new songs which, because of the "freshness", goes straight to the top of my list of "most favorite newbies"....there is clearly a yearning in me to see Muse push their creative limits.... successfully....which brings me to Save Me.... I'm probably going to offend a lot of people now but the song really doesn't do it for me....Chris is a 'rad dude' and a hell of a bass player but personally I think the singing should be left to Matt... From an instrumental point of view though: top notch!

Another new personal favorite is Animals...WOW! This one swept me away and took me on a beautifully exciting spiritual roller coaster.

Anyway....a lot has already been said so I'm not going to go much further into detail. It was a very special evening in an awesome venue, nice mix of brand new beauties and all-time mind blowers and even though the last note was played approx 1,5 hrs after the first...I am one very satisfied customer. I am looking forward to seeing how the songs we heard last night and the other (yet unheard) songs mature....maybe in time I'll have to take back my current opinion of Save Me after all....who knows ;-)

This. Was. Awesome. Effing awesome!

Tiny venue, great crowd, barrier, the boys in a great mood ... can I turn back time and have this evening again?

All my worries concerning the new album are gone - the songs were all great!! :dance:

I could just shoot myself for leaving too early as Chris and Dom came out for pics later ...

:LOL: My thoughts exactly! He did a great job, though!

This :yesey:

It was a brilliant night! My personal favorite is Supremacy - it was just mindblowing!

Was I the only one who could hardly hear the guitar or singing during Follow me due to the bass? :unsure:

And Matt laughing because of our MAD / MA signs :chuckle: :chuckle:

well.....

This concert was absolutly stunning!

Supremacy

Definitly a ace!! Riffage, falsetto, scream, guitar solo....... awesome song, worked as opener...

Interlude + Hysteria

Nice, had a lot of energy in it...

Panic Station

So funky... nice song...

Resistance

meh....

Supermassive Black Hole

New Intro Jam, was good!

Animals

Wow.. verse sounding like screenager... excellent guitar solo... nice chorus.. Outro riff is ace!

Time Is Running Out

Intensive, crowd was very loud!

Save Me

Well, it proves that Chris is a quite good singer. The song itself: i'm not sure about, need to hear the album...

Madness

Madness live > Madness album: More details (as seen on Skavlan proshot). Nice performance, vocals were very good!

Uprising (extended)

Should stay in the following tour. Was fantastic. The crowd was amazing...

Follow Me

Chorus is bombast... Great.

Plug In Baby

Actually i'm a bit bored of it... mhhhh... An other older song would be perfect.

Man with a Harmonica + Knights of Cydonia

nice one, big mosh pit...

Encore:

Stockholm Syndrome + War within a breath riff

Had the same energy as R+L performances.... great.

Starlight

meh.... please not as encore

Survival

without choir backing track... so much better.... instrumentally and vocally top! but i guess it's not a good choice as a closer...

Overall impression:

Location itself and also the acoustic were top!

Absolutly great crowd... wow

The guys were very energetic and friendly...

Did not expect that many new songs...

Ace evening!!!

Can anyone translate Matt's last sentence after the song from Matt to common English? ;)

Not word for word ;) He took a quick look to the people in the front rows and said something about being back in Europe seeing familiar faces in the crowd.

I had such a fantastic time. All the new songs sounded brilliant. Definitely worth sleeping at the airport afterwards for! My thoughts on the new tracks:

Supremacy: Guhhhh. So - damn - sexy. However, it feels like it's been re-worked to be played live without an orchestra. Looking forward to hearing the proper orchestra on the album.

Panic Station: Very different, and all the better for it. Matt's vocals had so much sass.

Animals: Now that's old-school. Think it was in 5/4 if I remember correctly, which is a rarity

for Muse. That riffage at the end - phwoar!

Save Me: Very personal lyrics, and Chris' voice is lovely. Did it remind anyone else of Porcupine Tree? And that huge sigh of relief Chris did at the song's end - beautiful, ha.

Follow Me: Wicked. The dubstep elements worked, bizarrely, and it sounds like a properly uplifting song.

I'll probably never get to see them in a venue that small again, so I'm glad I made the effort to go. Awesome gig.

of the whole concert. It's a work in progress. Uploading is sloooow.

The day before the gig I got an early birthday present from my sister: her old smartphone. I would be able to send pictures :awesome:! I still took my old phone with me, just in case.

When our train made its way through Cologne, I saw 2 Muse billboards and tweeted about it with my old phone. Which then started beeping, signaling that the battery was pretty low - I had charged that thing only the night before and haven't used the phone in between. That stupid battery was the reason I had gotten myself an extra battery. Can't believe I had to change it before the gig!

A few minutes before 19:00 we (Have I mentioned that my sister accompanied me?) arrived at the E-Werk. Whoa, that queue was long!

2012.09.20.queue.png

And the wait for the queue to move seemed long too. Although my tweet tells me that it was just 19:05 when the end of the queue moved.

About 19:30 we were finally inside the venue and I got a picture of the merch. My first photo tweeted from a gig! \o/

2012.09.20.merch.png

We went into the concert room and got spots a few meters in front of the sounddesk. I saw a camera on the balcony, which surprised me as I only know of the planned radio broadcast. Just for promo reasons or could we get a full video recording? Speaking of seeing things: my sister and I didn't. At least not much of the stage, because there were lots of tall people in front of us.

2012.09.20.tallpeople.png

According to the tickets, the gig was supposed to start at 20:00. Unsurprisingly it didn't. First the instruments had to be soundchecked. There was that guy again who so entertainingly checked the microphone. The one who got cheers at one of the Wembley gigs and gave us an encore.

At 20:37 Muse finally entered the stage. I wanted to tweet a picture, but before they came on stage my sister had noted that I was draining the battery by taking pictures. So I decided to save it for tweeting.

Supremacy. So glad they didn't start with Uprising!

I wanted to tweet with my shiny new smartphone, but got onto a weird page on the Twitter app, so instead of taking the time to figure out what that was and how to get back, I tweeted the song title from my old phone. Meanwhile I was also filming, but not very well. My sister tried to guide my arm, so that the picture wouldn't be askew and the stage would be in frame.

Sound-wise the song rocked, but opinion-wise it was too early to say that. By now it has grown on me.

I swear there was something weird about Interlude. Can't tell what it was, because I can't hear it on my video.

Naturally Interlude was followed by Hysteria.

I tweeted from my old cell again.Guys, don't laugh, but there was something weird about the space around me - I didn't dare jumping, because it felt like the people around me were standing too close but also not close enough.

I didn't like what Matt improved at the end of the song.

At first I thought we'd get to hear an old song, because Matt played something (I'm assuming he was just checking what notes the strings play) I had heard before, on a DVD (I think it was before Showbiz).

But instead it was one of the new songs: Panic Station. What a weird song. So not used to funkiness from Muse. And numbers in the lyrics :eyeroll:!

When I tweeted from my old cell, I noticed that I still didn't have any confirmations of receipt and decided to solve the problem on my smartphone.

Resistance.

Before tweeting the songtitle from my smartphone, I tweeted the previous 3 songs.

Supermassive Black Hole.

I finally dared jumping. Fun was had.

Animals.

Ooh, I like that one! Ha, it started out calm, but then it rocked! Very Muse. So far my favorite of the new songs.

Time Is Running Out.

Still a fun song live. :oD

Save Me.

Chris can sing! And he sounds a bit like Dave Grohl :awesome:! What a beautiful song.

Madness.

Before the gig I only liked the song's instrumental version, but with vocals I also like hearing it live.

Heh, people at the front were holding up "MA" signs.

I was surprised at how enthusiastic the crowd was about Uprising! That song does fuck all to me. Except for the outro riffage - so glad they played that.

Follow Me started so harmless and then it goes all untz untz :facepalm:. Not a fan of that sound. And the vibrations made the tip of my nose itch.

Plug In Baby! :dance:

That made me happy because it's my sister's favorite song.

Which means that I had camera duty, so she could jump. But do you know how hard it is to not jump to that song? My video didn't turn out much better than hers would have.

Right after my sister's fave came my favorite live song: Knights of Cydonia, preceded by Man with a Harmonica.

I'm so glad they still play KoC! And - it seemed - still as a closer. It felt a bit early for the gig to end already, but I didn't mind. Because KOC! ...Okay, I would have minded a bit, because that would have meant no Stockholm Syndrome.

But then! The pause before the encore.

My sister called for Bliss - oh Muse, can't you do requests? Pretty please?

So, KoC's not the closer then (but I was still happy, because it's also great as a mainset closer), so there was still a chance for Stockholm Syndrome.

Which they proceeded to play, the bastards! Stockholm Syndrome right after Knights of Cydonia - were they trying to kill me? ...Okay, there was the break in between.

Starlight.

My sister was filming - she only had one free hand, so I offered her one of mine for clapping. Team work!

I was impressed with the crowd singing "our hopes and expectations, black holes and revelations" - it sounded so good, like a choir.

For fuck's sake, Survival as the closer?! I was shocked enough that they played it at all, but as a closer?! Worst one ever.

After the gig I wondered if they had ever used the piano or if it was just decoration. Yay for videos! So that's where the piano was used, I just wasn't paying attention.

About 22:00 the gig was over and the 2 weeks of preparation really had been enough: My legs didn't hurt and my back only hurt a bit. \o/

Outside I saw a guy with a "MA" sign and got a picture.

2012.09.20.MAsign.png

I also saw a ZDF camera. My sister and I decided to jump around in the background, but my sister thinks that they had already stopped filming by then.

On our way from the E-Werk, we saw fans everywhere stealing Muse posters from lamp- and signposts (video to follow) by pulling them over the sign or melting the plastic binding thingies with a lighter. XD

2012.09.20.stealingposters.png

When my sister and I got off the subway at the central station, we saw a guy with a stolen poster on the train we had just left. XD

Archived