pocket change

Yeah but the best scenario would be for the case to be dismissed.

Firstly why should someone get benefit from that kind of crap. Secondly if they settled out of court, it wouldn't be a rejection of the claim.

Anyway hopefully won't amount to anything.

If he never actually made the opera can he actually do this?

I just read the article you posted on the locked thread. It's concerning that this is spreading through the media. :(

I think someone said why did this guy wait three years. Well if he had some kind of weird vendetta, when would be the best time to inflict maximum damage?!

Anyway I'm probably just tired and being a worry guts.

Even if all of this were true, there's no grounds here to sue Muse. You can't copyright such a vague story idea, you can't copyright a title, and Muse didn't create the artwork. The guy has nothing.

not sure what you mean when you say you can't copyright a title, because yes you can copyright a title.

thing is...this "story" has been used in some form or another in pretty much all science fiction. it's the basic premise of colonization, and the idea of a species preserving themselves by finding a new planetary home is hardly original. just cause this :shifty: person :shifty: wanted to make an opera out of it means nothing.

the real question is does he have a copyright on it, i mean, sure his story could be true, but if he aint already got the copyright then he can join the fun run and jog on. most of these stupid lawsuits in 'merica are just copyright trolls who just random get it in hope that they can sue one day, like that guy that copyrighted the word edge... cunt

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2012/09/11/lawsuit-alert-did-muse-really-rip-off-a-sci-fi-writer-for-their-album-the-resistance/

I'm glad to hear that the band and Warner aren't standing for any of this rubbish.

Good for them!

Good for them indeed.. just doesnt make sense why someone would want to take on the label and the band.. if the accuser is in the wrong then hes are up shit creek without a paddle, well and truly. he will be broke for many many years.

Good for them indeed.. just doesnt make sense why someone would want to take on the label and the band.. if the accuser is in the wrong then hes are up shit creek without a paddle, well and truly. he will be broke for many many years.

Maybe he was trying his luck in the hope that they would settle out of court to avoid negative publicity during the album release. I think the way the band and Warner have responded, however, is a much better way of dealing with it.

Also I doubt Warner would take on a case unless they knew there was no chance of them losing. I don't think Warner would do it out of loyalty to Matt or in an attempt to protect his integrity. I could be wrong of course, but I think that if there was any doubt, they would have been more inclined to settle out of court, which to me means that the guy hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Maybe he was trying his luck in the hope that they would settle out of court to avoid negative publicity during the album release. I think the way the band and Warner have responded, however, is a much better way of dealing with it.

Also I doubt Warner would take on a case unless they knew there was no chance of them losing. I don't think Warner would do it out of loyalty to Matt or in an attempt to protect his integrity. I could be wrong of course, but I think that if there was any doubt, they would have been more inclined to settle out of court, which to me means that the guy hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Yeah those were my thoughts from the very beginning. Someone cooked up a plan around a major release of a famous artist. Asking for a large amount of money in hopes they'll settle out of court for a few hundred grand to avoid negative publicity. The evidence is him waiting 3 years and choosing the release window of a new album to make his claim.

Archived