I wonder if by "contacted Muse" he means "sent and email to board@muse.mu that Kev and Blee didn't even read".

I've been "contacted" multiple times. I wonder if my inbox will become evidence some time :LOL:

Ah, all my emails to that, and tweets to the Wolsty man himself, that Chris should take over vocals on a few songs....KERCHING

"Bollfrass also claims the cover of "The Resistance" has an image that the band stole from the storyboards of his rock opera"

La Boca should also be sued in that case.

Is this lawsuit against the actual music or the intellectual property of exogenesis (e.g. name, and theme of song) ?

Honestly don't see this one getting far at all, and why did he wait until now to sue, surely he would have started proceedings back in 2009 in that case.

"Bollfrass also claims the cover of "The Resistance" has an image that the band stole from the storyboards of his rock opera"

La Boca should also be sued in that case.

Is this lawsuit against the actual music or the intellectual property of exogenesis (e.g. name, and theme of song) ?

Honestly don't see this one getting far at all, and why did he wait until now to sue, surely he would have started proceedings back in 2009 in that case.

From what I understood, it's on the idea and story inspiring Exogenesis. Meh, I'm not convinced.

Neither am I, I trust Warner's legal team to be able to destroy his case in court. He's gotta have fairly substantial evidence to prove me otherwise.

I'm not an expert on copyright infringement law (and kind of wish I was) but as much as I can understand how a storyline may need some copyright protection when it comes to fictions (whether the medium is a tv series, a film, short film or a novel), I fail to see how it could benefit from such a protection when it comes to music. The melody can and should be protected but the idea?

My guess is that the guy is lying, but even if he had thought of writing an epic song inspired by the concept of Exogenesis, I'm sure many other people have had that idea independently of him as well. At the most I see it as a coincidence. Not to mention the SFA video in 04 is already kind of about the concept of Exogenesis, so I doubt Matt got the idea from this guy. Finally, I don't think this suit would hold any more water than if he had suggested Matt write a love song and then later Matt writes a love song.

I'm not an expert on copyright infringement law (and kind of wish I was) but as much as I can understand how a storyline may need some copyright protection when it comes to fictions (whether the medium is a tv series, a film, short film or a novel), I fail to see how it could benefit from such a protection when it comes to music. The melody can and should be protected but the idea?

Surely that just means any emo band whining about how their parents don't understand them can sue anyone who came after them making songs about exactly the same thing?

NIN and Slipknot both wrote songs based on the book "The Collector", neither was sued or sued the other.

Archived