and you know that exactly how??

Come on, it just sounded like you listened to two single songs and then bashed a whole genre. :p

actually I took some advice from people I know who are more into this electronic sound on what to listen. I went through quite a lot of songs. listened to justice's cross and nero's welcome reality in full length. aside from a few songs, none of their work managed to impress me really.

Well, you were listening to two albums from popular artists in entirety. That makes you obviously an expert of the electronic music genre.

I wouldn't judge the entire rock music genre, when I only listened to the The Killers and Muse. And then call it a day.

also, you wouldn't expect someone to force themselves to keep listening to music they don't like would you?:p

I would expect you to be tolerant to a music genre you have no slightest clue about.

Wait until Muse releases Follow Me and then pronounce a judgement about the song. Thank you.

I see you like to listen to new music. Just listen to songs from "The British Theatre". (Yeah I am an Oceansize fan :LOL: ) Maybe you like it.

Well, you were listening to two albums from popular artists in entirety. That makes you obviously an expert of the electronic music genre.

I would expect you to be tolerant to a music genre you have no slightest clue about.

Wait until Muse releases Follow Me and then pronounce a judgement about the song. Thank you.

I see you like to listen to new music. Just listen to songs from "The British Theatre". (Yeah I am Oceansize fan :LOL: ) Maybe you like it.

1: an expert? no. someone who heard some of it and is able to form an opinion? yes.

2: I listened through two albums (even more from other artists) of music I don't generally like, in order to experience it. I guess that does, indeed, make me 'tolerant'. (and who was talking about Follow me? I was off-topic all the way:LOL:)

3: that I will. will inform you of any and all results:kiss:

1: an expert? no. someone who heard some of it and is able to form an opinion? yes.

Sarcasm does not tranlate in the internet, I see.:supersad:

It´s not electronic music like Nero, but still has a lot of electronic elements. It´s more experimental rock /electronic music. :kiss:

2: I listened through two albums (even more from other artists) of music I don't generally like, in order to experience it. I guess that does, indeed, make me 'tolerant'. (and who was talking about Follow me? I was off-topic all the way:LOL:)

You really like The Beatles don't you?

actually I took some advice from people I know who are more into this electronic sound on what to listen. I went through quite a lot of songs. listened to justice's cross and nero's welcome reality in full length. aside from a few songs, none of their work managed to impress me really.

also, you wouldn't expect someone to force themselves to keep listening to music they don't like would you?:p

No, but I'd suggest a couple of avenues you might not have tried. Trip-hop, old-style dubstep (Hyperdub's stable's a good place to start) and industrial rock are all worth a look.

No, but I'd suggest a couple of avenues you might not have tried. Trip-hop, old-style dubstep (Hyperdub's stable's a good place to start) and industrial rock are all worth a look.

Nice suggestions. I'd say listen to Mala in Cuba by Mala. It's old-school dubstep with a lot of cuban influences and samples.

I don't know that, but judging by what you said it's a pretty fair assumption to make. And if all you're listening to is the really popular stuff of course that's what you'll think. Same as if all you heard of rock was bands like All Time Low or 3 Doors Down.

I just don't like most electronic songs. usually they are quite repetitive and lack creativity. to sum it up: they're pretty 'meh' 90% of the time. there are exceptions, of course, as always.

Well he/she kind of has a point? About the repetitive thing. Now I really like electronic music let me just get that out first and I listen to a lot different electronic artists, but in some genres of electronic music, the use of repetition is a really important and pronounced element. But it's not just a shortcut. It's to create a sort of trance-inducing, mesmerizing effect and stuff like that. Anyway I don't think it's totally unjustified to say that a lot of electronic music is somewhat repetitive. But it's like saying a lot of rock is all distorted and stuff... it is. All genres have their characteristics and they don't appeal equally to everyone.

... Or something like that anyway.

And in general I think it's safe to say that 90% of all music is pretty "meh". There are a lot more people who write music than people who actually know how to...

Well he/she kind of has a point? About the repetitive thing. Now I really like electronic music let me just get that out first and I listen to a lot different electronic artists, but in some genres of electronic music, the use of repetition is a really important and pronounced element. But it's not just a shortcut. It's to create a sort of trance-inducing, mesmerizing effect and stuff like that. Anyway I don't think it's totally unjustified to say that a lot of electronic music is somewhat repetitive. But it's like saying a lot of rock is all distorted and stuff... it is. All genres have their characteristics and they don't appeal equally to everyone.

... Or something like that anyway.

Repetition is a commonly used element in music, it isn't just used in electronic music.

And in general I think it's safe to say that 90% of all music is pretty "meh". There are a lot more people who write music than people who actually know how to...

This statistic doesn't say anything and probably isn't true.

Electronic music, as a term, is far too encompassing to really discuss it as a case of "90% of electronic is meh", or anything like that.

Just look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres

Ambient

Break

Disco

Downtempo

Drum and Bass

Dubstep

Electro

Electroacoustic

Electronica

Electronic Rock

Eurodance

Hardcore

Hard Dance

House

Industrial

IDM

Jungle

Post-Disco

Techno

Trance

UK Garage

Chiptune

AND all of their subgenres, too.

It's as diverse as rock, as a genre, and just like rock, it has high points and low points. The sad thing is, of all those genres above, and all the incredible, amazing electronic acts out there - Justice, Aphex Twin, Four Tet, Burial, Daft Punk, and god knows how many highly talented smaller acts (Lemaitre springs to mind), Muse, for their influences and collabs on their foray into electronic music, had to choose Skrillex and Nero, some of the blandest and most uninteresting bandwagons in the entire genre.

I suppose a beautifully understated ambient post-dubstep track with contributions from James Blake might be too much to ask, in wake of the Skrillexbot showing up and spewing us all with whatever Unsustainable was meant to be made of.

Archived