I do like the album version - but it would be cool to have the 'original' version to see how different it could have been. Like the alternate version of Muscle Museum for example...

But you've got the original...

By the same logic, aren't you interested in hearing the 'original', fully electronic version of Unsustainable?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it just underlines the overwhelming majority of Muse fans have a preference, if not expectation, of the band being a guitar band and tend not to be so on board when they try out electronic stuff.

Plus, all songs go through 10s of versions - we only ever (really) hear the final one and not the steps in betwee, this is no different.

The album version of this song sounds like a horrible remixed version of what should be the actual version of this song. Sounds like crappy dance music I hear when I walk into a "trendy" clothing store at the mall.

Plus Matt's weak-sounding "Follow meeeee" is awful.

I miss Matt's youthful "strained" sounding vocals.

I think this is my most hated song on the album.

If the lyrics were directed at anything/one other than his son, I would probably feel differently than I do. I still find it incredibly touching, and intimate.

(Although, if it was to the girlfriend, I'd probably SAY it was cheesy, and still privately be all *squeee* adorable. :D )

Was there an electronic version of Unsustainable? I don't believe so...

There was, however, a "regular instrument" version of this one, at least insofar as what Matt implied. Which Nero took and remixed. So, it would be interesting/nice to hear.

Not that I don't like it as is - I just have a preference for old fashioned guitar and piano music.

Anyone else find it odd that Matt caused all that "real instrument" controversy, and then the album is heavily electronic/has an entirely electronic song?

Possibly he misspoke "regular" as "real"...

If the lyrics were directed at anything/one other than his son, I would probably feel differently than I do. I still find it incredibly touching, and intimate.

(Although, if it was to the girlfriend, I'd probably SAY it was cheesy, and still privately be all *squeee* adorable. :D )

Was there an electronic version of Unsustainable? I don't believe so...

There was, however, a "regular instrument" version of this one, at least insofar as what Matt implied. Which Nero took and remixed. So, it would be interesting/nice to hear.

Not that I don't like it as is - I just have a preference for old fashioned guitar and piano music.

Anyone else find it odd that Matt caused all that "real instrument" controversy, and then the album is heavily electronic/has an entirely electronic song?

Possibly he misspoke "regular" as "real"...

Actually apparantly unsustainable was originally electric

1) Muse made Follow Me as a standard rock song.

2) Muse tried to make an half electronic - half rock version of the 1) song.

3) Muse gave the 2) version to Nero, who made it fully electronic.

4) The 3) song is the album one.

Unsustainable was created electronically and then replicated with guitar, bass and drums.

Actually apparantly unsustainable was originally electric

I either totally missed that interview, or it's in the making of I don't have yet?

Did Muse do it themselves?? If so, I would be absolutely interested in hearing that, too! :D

BTW, is there anything "special" about the special features on the box set that us regular folk won't get? I never did get up the cash... :(

I either totally missed that interview, or it's in the making of I don't have yet?

Did Muse do it themselves?? If so, I would be absolutely interested in hearing that, too! :D

BTW, is there anything "special" about the special features on the box set that us regular folk won't get? I never did get up the cash... :(

It was in an interview, I think the electronic magazine one. They had Unsustainable all electronic like standard brostep and then decided to scrap it all and try it with their guitar/bass/drums. So the opposite of Follow Me. They did it all themselves.

I think the special features were just the other making-of songs they decided to not put on the main DVD :logic:

It was in an interview, I think the electronic magazine one. They had Unsustainable all electronic like standard brostep and then decided to scrap it all and try it with their guitar/bass/drums. So the opposite of Follow Me. They did it all themselves.

I think the special features were just the other making-of songs they decided to not put on the main DVD :logic:

So, stuff I can YouTube, or they will eventually put on the website. :p

Am I the only person who thinks Matt's vocals are a bit off key in the first line, especially the "and surrounds you..." bit? :( Or is it just an effect caused by the backing music?

I think that's the most interesting part of the song :chuckle:. But yeah, it's just dissonant and purposefully so.

Am I the only person who thinks Matt's vocals are a bit off key in the first line, especially the "and surrounds you..." bit? :( Or is it just an effect caused by the backing music?

The purpose of it is to sound twisted. Darkness surrounds you - it's supposed to sound distorted and dark, come on , use your imagination depths...

Archived