This one keeps getting better and better.

Though I can still do without the raging Bono at the end.

I see what you did there :LOL:

This song gets better with each listen to me. Not normally the type of music I get into, particularly during the chorus, but Matt's voice just makes it work for me. Plus I'm a sucker for that looping synth during the verses.

This song is definitely my favourite on the album. Which is odd, because I've never really been a fan of electronica before.

I think it's because you can still tell it was written as a 'rock' song ... but just performed differently. I honestly think that if they had done it the way it was written it would have sounded a bit "muse-by-numbers" and wouldn't have stood out the way it does.

I'm not a big "electronica" fan, either. However, I do find it especially well done in this song. Never heard of Nero, so didn't know what to expect.

I think the song just proved to me how much I'm absolutely in love with Matt's voice, well, that and it's catchy as herpes.

I adore this song so much, but the fact that I've had it relentlessly stuck in my head since E-werk is a bit concerning for my mental health.

I'm also just a big sappy sucker for the lyrical content. Singing a song about how having a baby changed your life/made you a better person/the world is a wonderful place now is a terrible cheesy thing.

Singing a song TO your child about being strong for them, and being there for them no matter what... beautiful.

I'm not a big "electronica" fan, either. However, I do find it especially well done in this song. Never heard of Nero, so didn't know what to expect.

Give Nero's album Welcome Reality a listen all the way through. I think it's the only electronic album I've ever listened to from start to finish and I've done it many times now.

If anything is a consistent, well-flowing album it's that one. Listen and learn Muse.

The Guardian review nails my thought/puzzlement about the song

Occasionally, you get the sense the band's sound is actually antithetical to genuine emotional impact. Follow Me is a song about Bellamy's baby son: "I will keep you safe, I will protect you, I won't let them harm you," he sings. He obviously means it, but delivered as it is, in a portentous voice that leaves teeth-marks on the scenery, to a backdrop of distorted dive-bombing bass (courtesy of co-producers Nero) and florid synthesiser arpeggios, it sounds like he doesn't.

I mean, I doubt Matt would take the piss out on being father/when he's singing for his son.(Well, some people have very black sense of humour, so I guess it's possible) His voice however sounds like he is. He sounds drunk or something. It's weird.

(yes, I had to look up "portentous")

It's not so much about having to be all happy-go-lucky just because it's a fatherhood song, but that the way of delivering that (darker) sound it executed in a distracting way which sounds like a joke (i.e. distracting from the intended emotionl impact).

It's not so much about having to be all happy-go-lucky just because it's a fatherhood song, but that the way of delivering that (darker) sound it executed in a distracting way which sounds like a joke (i.e. distracting from the intended emotionl impact).

Matt hasn't sounded sincere since he started trying to be sincere on Absolution, when he goes all theatrical and unnatural it might actually indicate that he means it, strangely.

Matt hasn't sounded sincere since he started trying to be sincere on Absolution, when he goes all theatrical and unnatural it might actually indicate that he means it, strangely.

You might be on to something. He seems uncomfortable sharing his emotions on songs and maybe the more theatrical, the more attempt at hiding actual feelings.

A bit painful for the listener though. At least for me.

The song IS dark. Intentionally. At least at the beginning.

I always fail at putting what songs "feel" like to me in words, but here it is...

The beginning is really dark. It elicits being alone (echoey, distorted, deep and heavy,) scared, and in danger.

The vocal and musical change opens up to Matt's more soaring vocals, when the song becomes about him being strong for his son, and being a "light in the darkness" for him.

You can see it as sort of a revelation of Matt's, to maybe quit looking at things quite so darkly, as well.

I think some of Muse's music sounds like one big pisstake (*cough* Survival,) but I don't feel like that at all, here...

Archived