How did you become a Muse fan?

MandaF

I saw the video for "Knights of Cydonia" on MTV-weird, right? I thought "Who is this band and why have I never heard of them before?" It was so strikingly different from everything else; it blew me away. And then I heard the rest of Black Holes and Revelations and that sealed the deal, especially when I first heard "when the Zetas fill the skies..."

Hearing a segment of 'Time is Running Out' on what I think was the Brit Awards 2004...I remember instantly thinking 'wow...this sounds like me', so I searched for them and fell in love, they became my favorite band of all time. It was just before discovering Muse had I really got into Music, after discovering some really good bands, but Muse hit it for me, I actually found myself because I found Muse. (If that makes sense to anyone :LOL:)

It's nice to hear that people had similar experiences (about not liking them at first, and then waking up one day)...

1. Around 2005 (was 12 years old), there was a commercial on PBS with Starlight, and I LOOOVEED it, but since we didn't even have internet, I never looked in to it. :supersad:

2. Fast forward to 2008, I tried listening to Showbiz, and I didn't like the first songs. That was the end of that for a while. (It was mainly Matt's voice I couldn't get used to.)

3. I get obsessed with Undisclosed Desires in 2011.

4. Study abroad in Japan in 2012, being forced to listen to music on the train/bus a few hours a day= obsession with Absolution.

5. After trying to listen to 2nd Law and not liking the beginning of most of the songs, I had an urge to listen to it two months ago...OBSESSED ALL OVER AGAIN. :facemelt:

And then there was the concert on Saturday, and then last minute decision to risk not doing school work to go again on Monday. I'm still in a daze, and finally think worthy of calling myself a Muser. :D I actually cried while driving home because I couldn't believe it was all over, and back to reality.

So obviously, I regret not getting into them earlier. I've been into British rock since I remember, 'cause that's what dad listens to, but recent stuff has flown past me.

The worst part is, along the time I started listening, I deleted OoS and Showbiz and never put them back on my mp3. I listened to Bliss last week, and I think it's safe to say that is my fave song. (I adore the red hair and leather pants).

2007- saw them open for mcr.

They performed right through their mini set and Matt took a tiny break to say "mwndhmw TAMPA!!" Crowd cheered and they went back to performing. It was amazing and they were like within arm reach of the barrier so it was epic watching Matt go all mad playing riffs.

Then mcr came on and it just didnt compare.

So suffice to say I entered an mcr fan and left as a muse fan, plus it didn't help that Gerard was an asshole to us after the gig.

I was hooked ever since though I did take a break from them and all music in 2010 for many reasons but I love their music like I love my family.

2007- saw them open for mcr.

They performed right through their mini set and Matt took a tiny break to say "mwndhmw TAMPA!!" Crowd cheered and they went back to performing. It was amazing and they were like within arm reach of the barrier so it was epic watching Matt go all mad playing riffs.

Then mcr came on and it just didnt compare.

So suffice to say I entered an mcr fan and left as a muse fan, plus it didn't help that Gerard was an asshole to us after the gig.

I was hooked ever since though I did take a break from them and all music in 2010 for many reasons but I love their music like I love my family.

Reminds me of my own story...

I discovered Muse when BHAR came out, read about it in a magazine and thought it might be worth listening to.... Bought BHAR, loved it, bought Absolution soon afterwards. Then in 2007 I went to Rock am Ring, and Muse happened to play at the same time as MCR. All the time between the release of the timetable and the festival I couldn't decide which band I'd prefer to see, because I really liked MCR then, too. All my friends wanted to see MCR, so at first I was tempted to go with them, but "last minute" I decided to go and see Muse on my own. Best decision ever!! It was an amazing experience, because I hadn't expected them to be that good, I was totally blown away.

After their set I went to the other stage and saw the last few songs of MCR - they were so shit compared to Muse! :LOL:

After that I have hardly ever listened to MCR again, whereas Muse very slowly became my most favourite band.

^Haha it's true though I feel mcr live shows are so static compared to muse. Plus that was during their "black parade era" and it was too depressing and dark. Whereas muse were high energy and just a sensory overload in every sense of the word. As everyone always says muse are just a mind-blowing experience.

I liked MCR a lot a few years back against all odds despite their musical style not being my usual cup of tea and still have a certain level of affinity towards them(they have great pop sensibilities). But they are not that special live and Gerard in particular is a weak live singer. I have to wonder whether they were intimidated as hell as having Muse open for them, hard to follow up on that :LOL:

EDIT: MCR actually played a small part in my path of becoming a big Muse fan. I had tickets to see them in Helsinki when I discovered that Muse was playing in Latvia at the same time. They had no Finnish gig announced at that point and I kind of wanted to see them, having listened to a lot of BHAR. In the end I sold my MCR ticket (because I had already seen them in Stockholm) and went to Latvia which was my first Muse show and the final push to get all the rest Muse albums.

• 2 weeks later...

It was in 2009, when "The Resistance" was just out. I bought this album because I needed to spend money (yes, that's true) on CDs and I liked it. So, I heard more "Uprising" but not really. And then a friday in October 2012 there was an advert for a TV show called "Taratata" when artists are invited and there were Muse and C2C (French DJ's; better than David Guetta) and I told me that I'll watch it. I did it and I just loved Follow Me and Madness, I even told my friend the next day that these songs are great and i will buy their album. It's that I've done: the Sunday I had The 2nd Law.

I only listened it all the time so I listened the others albums (that I, of course, loved and bought).

Now, I only listen to them, when there are Muse song's extracts in TV show I say "Oh! That's MUUUUSE !!!", my friends hate me because I only talk about them and one of mines is becoming a Muser, I'm so proud of her ahah...

I'm French, I'm sorry if there are mistakes in my text!

It was actually when "Uprising" became famous. I believe it was late 2009. I didn't pay much attention to them at the time, because I wasn't sure if I would like any of their other songs. Then I fell in love with Undisclosed Desires. Later on, I started watching live performances of them and mostly of Uprising. I saw one where they played a live show for New Years. I looked them up, realized they were from the U.K., and fell in love. At the time I was with the woman I love, and I had visited England and loved it immensely. So once I found out they were British like my girlfriend at the time, I listened to tons of their songs and fell in love with every song I listened to. Then when I saw they were going to be in Houston, I bought tickets right away and am now not just a big fan, but a HUGE fan.

Like a lot of people around these parts I first heard Muse on the radio in the form of Knights of Cydonia and Uprising. I thought both of these were cool tunes, but they did not inspire me to check out their other stuff. Then in early 2010 my cousin and I were on a short road trip when she asked "Do you want to listen to MUSE?" Being the agreeable sort of person that I am, I said sure.

She put on The Resistance and the first song that played was Uprising. So far, so good, but I was already familiar with that one. What instantly captivated me about the band was the musical diversity of the tracks that followed. After Uprising came United States of Eurasia, which charmed me immediately with its Queen-like harmonics. Then followed the boy band-sounding Undisclosed Desires. I was blown away by this musical variety as well as the implementation of classical instruments (especially the piano, my fav instrument).

Every new track was a wonder to me, and at the risk of sounding overly romantic, I felt transported. It was magical. Once we made it to the end of the album I expressed my unexpected approval. My cousin said that they were going to the Muse concert in Milwaukee that October 2010, if I would like to join. I quickly bought GA tickets (first time I would ever be in the "pit" at a concert) and in the months before the concert I explored more of Muse's discography and only became more and more entranced and impressed. My husband was not yet under their spell, but after the concert came and went we were both thoroughly converted. So now I tell any non-believers that they HAVE to see Muse live to understand, that Muse cannot truly be captured by a mere recording. :D

I actually listened Time Is Running Out on the radio, and quite liked it a lot, but when I decided to tape the video on the music tv channel they stopped showing it... And I didn't take note of the name of the band nor the song so I completely lost them...

Some years later my bf at that time tried to make me listen to Black Holes and Revelations and tried to show me the HAARP dvd but I wasn't really in the mood so I didn't actually paid much attention to it.... That's the second chance I lost!!

Later many friends asked me why wasn't I going to the Resistance gig, as they though I would really enjoy Muse. Told them I never gave them a proper listen, but some day I would. So I missed that tour aswell... But already regreted it and promised to myself to go next time. I even tried to go with a friend to Reading's 2011 but we couldn't because of money problems..

Muse came to Madrid last october but was not able to go... But announced Barcelona! So bought my ticket and started listening to them....

I know I can count the months being a fan with the fingers of only one hand.... But I'm quite passionate about music. When I discover a band I become insane and live it at the highest. Went to Shepherd's Bush and had such a big moment in life!!

Now I have 3 concerts to go... But can't nothing but regret more than 10 years that I could have enjoyed Muse that have been lost...

But hey, it's never too late!! Or so they say :rolleyes:

Back in 2007 I was at my friends house and she was listening to BHAR, and she figured out how to play Starlight on the piano and she taught me to play it as well (I still remember it :awesome:) I bought that album the same week.

EDIT: It was quite a while before I got their other albums though, around the beginning of 2009 I think. I'd forgotten about them but my cousin is a big fan and could play lots of their songs on guitar (I think he has videos on YouTube?) and he was playing a few songs from Absolution and OoS at my house one day and he told me what albums they were from. I knew Hysteria from Rockband as well. Me and my cousin and my friend who taught me Starlight etc. were all talking about seeing them when they were next playing in Belfast but I moved to England a few months later so I didn't get to go with them :(

I liked MCR a lot a few years back against all odds despite their musical style not being my usual cup of tea and still have a certain level of affinity towards them(they have great pop sensibilities). But they are not that special live and Gerard in particular is a weak live singer. I have to wonder whether they were intimidated as hell as having Muse open for them, hard to follow up on that :LOL:

EDIT: MCR actually played a small part in my path of becoming a big Muse fan. I had tickets to see them in Helsinki when I discovered that Muse was playing in Latvia at the same time. They had no Finnish gig announced at that point and I kind of wanted to see them, having listened to a lot of BHAR. In the end I sold my MCR ticket (because I had already seen them in Stockholm) and went to Latvia which was my first Muse show and the final push to get all the rest Muse albums.

lol been meaning to post this but was looking for exact quote:

Interviewer: What kind of effect do you think your music will have on My Chemical Romance fans? [when Muse supported MCR]

Matt: Um, you know, take them to a higher level

The icing on the cake is when he laughs after making that statement :LOL:

In the end I sold my MCR ticket (because I had already seen them in Stockholm) and went to Latvia which was my first Muse show and the final push to get all the rest Muse albums.

"This is the last performance of Assassin to date."

dat luck

;_;

lol been meaning to post this but was looking for exact quote:

The icing on the cake is when he laughs after making that statement :LOL:

Yeah, that in on Youtube with the title "Matt dissess My Chemical Romance", which is not exactly accurate, though. Dom's disbelieved expression& laughter is great, too.:D

"This is the last performance of Assassin to date."

dat luck

;_;

I know right, and I didn't know how to really appreciate it back then. We got AP too, along with this piano section. :supersad:

(New Born)

Hoodoo

Apocalypse Please

Sunburn

I first heard muse back in 2001/2 when i was about 4 years old, and i seen the Bliss music video on TV.

Then in 2003/4 i heard Hysteria and Time is Running Out and i fell in love with them :D.

You fell in love with Muse when you were about 6 years old?

Yeah, that in on Youtube with the title "Matt dissess My Chemical Romance", which is not exactly accurate, though. Dom's disbelieved expression& laughter is great, too.:D

:chuckle: haha there is always truth in humour and I feel Matt meant what he said but he still respects mcr and what they do. They even invited mcr to open for them in London later that year if I recall correctly.

Honestly I still for the life of me cannot remember any moment of mcr's performance, and I was in GA right behind the barrier.

Muse I remember it all even the awkwardness and I couldn't clap my tits...such a n00b, it was so sad but so fun nontheless. :LOL:

Archived