How did you become a Muse fan?

MandaF

I honestly thought there was a thread about this already, but after a search I couldn't find it. Sooo Mods, if there is one (as I thought) feel free to redirect this thread and then lock it.

It fascinates me how a band can become such an integral part of your life. June 2011, I swear I didn't even know who Muse were :$ but my son (16) loved them and was determined to let me know about it! I came into a bit of spare cash and promised him I would buy him a ticket for the next Muse gig. The next day he asked if he could buy tickets for both of us and I agreed, not knowing where or when the gig was but not minding as he was so excited about it. Thus followed a bombardment of listening to Muse to familiarise myself with their music. My first song was Unintended (loved it) and after that everything was a struggle. I hated Plug in Baby as it was too loud - also Hysteria. As for SS - :mad: It took me weeeks before I appreciated their music to be honest.

We ended up at Leeds Festival, which before the event scared the hell out of me, but was actually awesome, awesome, awesome (despite the rain and mud!).

The rest is history. I now think I am a bigger fan than he is, and I think I embarrass him when I sing Muse stuff/watch Muse/listen to Muse/even talk about Muse now!

I would love to hear others' stories. Maybe I am bored, but it's all fascinating stuff to me because I am really nosey! ;)

I'm from Poland, but I had an Italian music channel (these were the times where music channel aired music - and not that later times they aired only bad music) and I heard "Time Is Running Out" then. I loved it! Hysteria I loved less then, but I started to look for Muse. I got Absolution and totally loved it. So, as usual in such cases, I begin to collect cd's from the earliest one. First song I listened to from Showbiz was Unintened - tooootally loved it. And soon Muse become one of my three all-time favourite bands.

PS Hate to say, but Origin of Symmetry was always my least favourite. In the beginning I totally digged only Bliss and Plug In Baby. Now I love almost whole OoS and treat it as their best album. And Hyper Music with its killer bassline is surely one of my all-time favourites!

A long process for me, not anything sudden. I was vaguely aware of them for a couple of years (reading music mags and whatnot), heard good things about them. My brother asked me what I'd want for a gift once and as it was(still is) a habit to buy each other CDs as gifts. I asked for Absolution based on good reviews since I couldn't think of anything else, although I had only heard Sing for Absolution, which I didn't particularly like(still don't). This was in 2004. I rather immediately responded to melodrama of Apocalypse Please and SS, but considered the album 50/50 of killer&filler.

When BH&R came out, I got it as well and listened to it quite a bit but I was never a huge huge fan. Then my friend and I decided to go to a gig to a foreign country (in 2006) to see them because they didn't have a Finnish gig lined up. I remember listening to OoS (that she owned) in the car but not being thoroughly impressed. When we were at the gig we didn't even recognize PiB and wondered why the otherwise tame audience was going crazy over it :awesome:

Anyway, after that I bought the other albums and became a bigger and bigger fan. I signed up to this forum in anticipation of the then new Muse album, The Resistance. Seen them live 6 times, December will be 7th.

Back in 2009 it was a mixture of things

1) My friend was a huge twilight freak and she also loved muse so introduced me to supermassive which I loved.

2) I saw them on the children in need concert and fell in love with Matt and his pink skinnies and USOE. Really made me sit up and pay attention. That song will always have a special place for me.

3) was obsessed with this show trigger happy tv and at one point when a man dressed up as a snail was crawling across a zebras crossing they played unintended and I thought it was pretty

4) I heard uprising in a mountain ware shop and went home, googled it and loved it

5) at school we have a show at Xmas and the higher dance class danced to new born and I adored it. Went home and looked it up, found that it was the same band as all these other amazing songs and bought the resistance.

Went on to buy all the other albums, watch 10000000 videos on YouTube and became obsessed :)

My friend showed me Unintended and I really liked it, and that was the only Muse song I'd really listened to, then a bit later I added Hysteria and TIRO on my mp3 player to listen to while I was on holiday. On one road trip during that holiday I was listening to them and thought 'blimey this is amazing' and when I got back home I started listening to a lot more of their songs. It was near Christmas by now so I asked various people for various Muse albums then finished the collection off myself and ever since I have been completely obsessed with them :) This was only a couple of years ago

First time I ever heard them was in the car as we were travelling to go on holiday (it was Sunburn, back in 2000/2001 or something). I remember really liking it but back then I was too young to be finding and getting into my own bands, I'd just listen to whatever my parents listened to.

A couple of years after that, I saw Matt on the telly (I think it was an advert for a music awards show) with his black spiky hair and Feeling Good was playing. I asked my gran who it was because I thought the song was great and that the guy looked cool but she didn't know. I assumed it was Billie Joe from Green Day because the megaphone part made me think it was his voice :facepalm:

Anyway, a few years later, I got Guitar Hero 3 and loved Knights Of Cydonia even though I thought it was mental :chuckle: I still didn't actively go out and search for more of their music though (although I had heard Hysteria and TIRO as well by this point). Then I got GH 5 when it came out in late 2009 and absolutely fell in love with Plug In Baby. That was the song that really inspired me to get better at guitar and to become a proper musician, it was also when I went out and discovered the rest of their discography.

I've posted this several times on this board before, but I head heard Muse a bit from 2006 onwards. I had apparently heard Starlight several times before ever getting into the band, and I remember Knights of Cydonia getting stuck in my head for weeks in Guitar Hero 3. Otherwise though they were a pretty unknown band.

Around May of 2008 I heard TOADA somewhere and looked it up. First video (and still is) is the BDO 04 performance. Went through the related videos and saw other performances from the same gig like Sunburn, CE, B&H, and Stockholm Syndrome. Those hooked me.

By the time school ended a few weeks later I had BH&R and Absolution on repeat, and by the time the next school year started 3 months later I had all their studio albums, Hullabaloo, HAARP, and the HAARP DVD. Needless to say I caught on fast but unfortunately missed the BH&R tour.

Hmm...not sure if I have posted this in some other similar thread already, but here goes:

The first Muse song I ever heard was Assassin in Guitar Hero. I think it was in early 2009 (as I remember becoming a fan just after Muse had been to Finland, and me being very mad at myself for not getting into them earlier). I wasn't too keen on the song itself, but I liked playing it with the plastic guitar. I asked my sister if she knew anything about this band Muse and she gave me H.A.A.R.P. to listen to. Well, at first I thought it was an album that has both a normal album cd and a live dvd. Well, I was wrong, of course.

The first time I listened to it was in a car through the car's speaker system and I was completely surprised that both the cd and dvd were a live show recording. I still did listen to it all the way through, but honestly I think I fell asleep in the middle of listening to it. :LOL:

Later at home I listened to H.A.A.R.P again, this time really paying attention to the music. Well, I pretty much became a fan instantly. I liked almost all songs on the cd immediately, except for Micro Cuts, which I started to remember as the "the random wailing song". Loved it's ending, though.

After H.A.A.R.P. I got Showbiz and BHaR and really liked them. I originally didn't want to get any more albums from Muse, though, but then my sister said their best stuff was on Absolution and OoS, so after a few months I finally decided to get them too. Then, about a year later I got TR for my birthday, but I think that was the first time I didn't really enjoy a Muse album that much. It felt weird, and I thought they must have some more songs that I'd still really like, and so I started to look for more Muse songs that were more the kind of Muse music that I seemed to prefer (OoS, Abso and BHaR, basically) and found all the great B-sides like Fury, Glorious, Dead Star etc. and they kept my love for Muse alive and well. Maybe even to this day, it seems.

Tl;dr, I know, but honestly I don't really care.

Edit: Odd, I recall there being this kind of thread somewhere already, but I can't find it...

Well, me and my friend used to love Twilight (*shudder*), and one day she reailsed that it was inspired by Muse, and since her brothers were already Muse fans, she listened to some of their music and fell in LURVE!!!!! Anyway, she told me about them and loaded up my i-pod just before I went on summer holidays before I went to highschool, and I remember thinking 'what the hell, he sounds like a chick???' But I loved The Killers at that point, so I decided to give Muse a go as my friend loved both of the bands. I actually distinctly remember sitting in a petrol station and listening to Starlight and thinking 'Y'know what? This isn't half bad!'

3 years later, it is still my favourite song! :LOL:

Until last year, I had no interest in Muse whatsoever, and had no intention at all of listening to them. I'd heard their songs a couple of times and thought it wasn't really my thing. I remember playing Guitar Hero with my friends once (I was drumming) and someone selected Uprising, which I failed at miserably :chuckle: and I didn't really think much of the song. I think the main thing that put me off was that I hated Matt's voice, but the only songs I based this on were SMBH, Uprising and TIRO (the choruses mainly) as these were pretty much the only songs that I knew.

Whenever I'm in the car with my dad, and a song comes on the radio that he likes, he will always point it out to me and tell me the artist so I can check them out. One day Starlight was on and from what I could make out (the reception was terrible) it sounded really good. My dad told me it was Muse, and that got me interested. By this point, thanks to my dad, I had also gotten into Radiohead so Matt's voice didn't bother me as much as it used to :LOL: So then, I decided to give Muse another chance, so I went and listened to Absolution, which set me on the path to becoming a Muser :)

2007. I heard Hysteria in a Youtube vid and fell in love with the bassline in about 2 seconds.

So I looked up the lyrics. Proceeded to download Absolution and loved a few tracks instantly... TIRO, B&H, SFA. The rest were OK, some I hated, but eventually they all grew on me. Later that year I heard Knights for the first time and thought it was dreadful.

Ended up buying the other three albums (this was early 2008) a couple of months later. Same story, there were a few songs I really dug at first (Assassin, MotP, Bliss) and a few I hated, but now I love pretty much every track on the first four albums. Yes, including Knights. :p

This is why I always tell people: If you want to get into Muse (or any artist really), give it time. You won't become a hardcore fan overnight.

Circa 2006-2007... Had bought a version of Pro Evo 6 and a friend gave me a cd which included Greek-Cypriot leagues in it something like that... Can vaguely remember.Then there was that video playing in the start,sth like an intro,which soundtrack was Plug in Baby,but I didn't know at the time,so I looked it up and felt a bit like :awesome: . Well,then I saw the vid of SMBH on TV and got scared a bit,I was around 13-14 at the time but still it scared the hell outta me,dunno why :$ I then saw that thing with Dom and the Slipknot mask (Sit the fuck down!) which made me think that Muse are a heavy metal sorta band :p . But I was wondering,so went,looked them up,found out what,and was like WTF? Also discovered that the song stuck in my head for 2 weeks after an F1 race a couple of years before was Hysteria... and also had heard Knights before in a commercial,also loved it :p Then it was TR,from which I loved Uprising and Unnatural Selection.Then it was B&H,which I initially thought was a song specially for F1 05... Ashamed now :$.

My Dad has a wide, awesome and weird taste of music, in which Muse are nicely nestled. I think he'd been listening to them since Absolution, but it wasn't until BH&R that he started to listen to them in the mornings before work. I remember hearing Starlight and and Knights in particular and thinking that whatever band this is, their music is awesome. It wasn't really until the Watchmen trailer with TaB that I began actively listening to them myself though. Thinking about it TaB is probably the first Muse song I really loved. I still get a funny nostalgic feeling with the piano riff in Starlight though.

So to answer the question, probably since about 2009 :LOL:

2010, new years eve, half drunk guitar hero: warriors of rock.

I've heard of Muse before, but didn't know any of their songs. so as we were deciding which band to play, I saw Muse in the list. I remembered that they were mentioned a few times on tv and radio so I told my friend "hey, let's check out Muse!" so we did.

Uprising wasn't really a challenge, but I still loved it. next day, upon arriving home, I looked it up on yt and loved it.

there was also a song called "Micro Cuts" among the suggestions:LOL: so I checked it out, and, well, my new life began:LOL:

Gosh, Guitar Hero has a lot to answer for! Never tried it myself, but apparently it's really hard. If it introduces people to Muse and music in general then excellent.

It's great to hear how many of us had really bad impressions of some of their songs - I can't believe how little I liked PiB and all of OoS actually. I thought Microcuts was dire, but really like it now, even though I still think its quirky :LOL:

Back in 04/05 I had just got my first iPod and i gave my old MP3 player to my dad who then handed me Origin of Symmetry and asked me to put all the songs on his MP3 player.

I remember listening to New Born and thinking "What the f**k is this s**t" I really hated it so didn't bother listening to the rest.

Fast forward a year or so to when SMBH was release and iv been hooked ever since, my dad is still a massive fan too.

Archived