The new elephant in the room: Muse need to stop trying to be Queen

ChrisirhC

There. I said it. Come at me.

They're never going to get that status and constantly trying to create wanna-be Bohemian Rhapsodies and operas not to mention all the other stuff and stick to what they're good at. It would also help if people didn't describe it as 'experimenting new ideas'. Not even the dubstep is a new idea, its a rip off of a rip off that has become a terrible bandwagon and Muse just hopped straight onto it.

Last song we heard of just the three of them without all the annoying production was Soldier's Poem.

I think even the elephant in the room has become aware of this and finds it a little weird.

Dubstep isn't a "terrible bandwagon". It's a genre of music that's 20 years old and has recently entered into the mainstream and popular artists need not apologise for co opting it, but that's got nothing to do with the not so subtle references to Queen that were fun in USoE and the like but now seem to be occurring a bit too often.

This reminds me of the elephant in the room thread that came out about this time 3 years ago. Ah, memories.

Yes, such fine memories ;) and a direct reference I would think. Though to me an elephant is something obvious that no one is noticing or commenting on which isn't the case in relation to Muse's Queen influences. Personally I don't see any harm in using Queen references. I don't think it means that Muse are trying to be Queen. Queen isn't the only band or artist they refer too.

Wasn't there only one direct reference to Queen in The Resistance in USoE? So far we have again heard one reference in Madness. Oh well I suppose Survival could be said to be Queen-like if we want to think they had a monopoly on that kind of song.

Muse have monopoly on arpeggios, Queen have monopoly on over the top-harmonies and choirs.

Not any more. :LOL: Maybe the discussion should be on whether using over the top harmonies and choirs or indeed arpeggios is a good thing, rather than whether any band is copying any other?

It sounds like Queen and I don't like Queen.

Simples.

Get out. Look, by all indications the Queen flirtations seem to stop at Survival on this album. I think they're doing something constructive with dubstep influences, though I don't like how many mainstream artists are dumbing the genre down. Let's wait until we have the entire album before we judge how it sounds.

There. I said it. Come at me.

They're never going to get that status and constantly trying to create wanna-be Bohemian Rhapsodies and operas not to mention all the other stuff and stick to what they're good at. It would also help if people didn't describe it as 'experimenting new ideas'. Not even the dubstep is a new idea, its a rip off of a rip off that has become a terrible bandwagon and Muse just hopped straight onto it.

Last song we heard of just the three of them without all the annoying production was Soldier's Poem.

I don't think the issue is creating songs with classical influence and songs that are "Bohemian Rhapsody"-like in structure, because Queen hardly had/has a monopoly on those. The problem is doing those things in a way what apes the exact late 70's/early 80's production style/Brian May's guitaring style. The Queen-esque vocal harmonies wouldn't be an issue by themselves(they hardly came up with those either), either, but when coupled with all the other Queen-esque elements it all becomes a bit :erm:

But yes, Muse should stop the 1:1 Queen rip offs, they are becoming embarrasing.

Whenever Muse does Queen, it feels like a Queen parody band/cover band, that's my problem with it. It doesn't sound like they're naturally influenced by Queen, it sounds like they're actively trying to sound like them.

This.

I'm all for Muse having fun in the studio and doing music that makes them laugh. Not sure if trying to sound like Queen is the way to do that though.

Whenever Muse does Queen, it feels like a Queen parody band/cover band, that's my problem with it. It doesn't sound like they're naturally influenced by Queen, it sounds like they're actively trying to sound like them.

I agree with that - it does sound like they're trying a bit too hard to mimic them. I still like all the Queen-sounding songs they've done, though, but it'd be better if they could put a Musier spin on it than sounding like a copycat act.

I've got nothing against them taking influence from other music/bands - that's what practically every artist does - as long as they can bring something a bit fresh to that sound and unique to them as band. I think they achieved that with the dubstep influence in Unsustainable :happy:

Archived