Muse board rule comments

Raiga Kagekami

Go and check out the rules of other band's message boards. This isn't a democracy, this is a private message board and you agree to abide by the rules when posting here. If you don't like it, leave, it's simple. Muselive has forums. Or you're welcome to start your own libertarian boards where you uphold freedom of speech or something. But that isn't here.

Here are some examples of other boards:

Coldplaying

Metallica

Red Hot Chili Peppers

U2 (unofficial)

At no point is that pointed out in the rules. Members are not telepathic

It is in the new rules but my email has been on the muse.mu website for years, there's always been a "contact us" button on the bottom of the screen. And I'm pretty sure most people know others on this forum who can forward messages.

Yeah but these are the revised rules :p

And when you're banned you no longer have access to the board and therefore no access to the rules?

You have to read the rules to even register here but they're on the main page.

Rule 2, what a load of bollocks.

Is this Syria?

No, and it's nothing new either. It's been the policy for years (and well before I was a mod) and it's very common on message board. Definitely had that rule back in 2006 when you agreed to it when you signed up.

Go and check out the rules of other band's message boards. This isn't a democracy, this is a private message board and you agree to abide by the rules when posting here. If you don't like it, leave, it's simple. Muselive has forums. Or you're welcome to start your own libertarian boards where you uphold freedom of speech or something. But that isn't here.

Oh boy, I can feel the shitstorm brewing.

Here are some examples of other boards:

Coldplaying

Metallica

Red Hot Chili Peppers

U2 (unofficial)

It is in the new rules but my email has been on the muse.mu website for years, there's always been a "contact us" button on the bottom of the screen. And I'm pretty sure most people know others on this forum who can forward messages.

You have to read the rules to even register here but they're on the main page.

No, and it's nothing new either. It's been the policy for years (and well before I was a mod) and it's very common on message board. Definitely had that rule back in 2006 when you agreed to it when you signed up.

hiding behind "it's not a democracy" is a petty argument. Also, if the board's hosted in the states (which if memory serves, it is) I believe it would mean it's subject to the laws of the United states (and perhaps the individual state, not sure) - if that's the case, your actions directly contravene the first amendment by inhibiting free speech. if it's hosted in a UN country, freedom of speech is an inalienable human right. Try again Niall

Other boards standards are irrelevant, I could point you to a number of far, far more lenient boards.

I had to read the rules 4 or 5 times before spotting your email. it's not prominent enough - it's hidden at the bottom without anything to make it stand out. there is no reason for it to be hidden in plain sight like that

And it has never, ever worked. it's a ridiculous rule in its design, implimentation and effects, kept in place to more easily deflect valid criticism.

A website is private property! No one has a "right" to an account here or the unlimited freedom to say and do what they like here, that's a pretty silly idea.

The point was that this website isn't special or unique for having these rules. It's just the way we do it and have done it since before I signed up.

It's not hidden! It's hardly like we buried it on an orphaned page or behind seven obscure hyperlinks or something, it's right there in the text. It's just the last thing on the list because it happens to be the last thing I added in when we rewrote the rules. Come one, trying to claim we're hiding it or something?

If you didn't like that rule which did you tick the box agreeing to it? We do listen to all criticism and regularly take suggestions from users - that's why we rewrote the rules in the first place. Just not in public so it can be done in a constructive way.

What Ross means is that the email address doesn't stand out in that wall of text cause it's not in bold or hyperlinked. If you just look over the text you'll miss it.

Ah I see. In that case I'll add it to a separate heading underneath that paragraph.

I got warned for telling a noob the pre-sale starts on thursday (pre-sale to a gig that had not been announced :phu:). I didn't even mean to sincerely mislead them :supersad:

I got an infraction for telling people that I sweep the floors at a radio station. It still makes me laugh.

A website is private property! No one has a "right" to an account here or the unlimited freedom to say and do what they like here, that's a pretty silly idea.

The point was that this website isn't special or unique for having these rules. It's just the way we do it and have done it since before I signed up.

It's not hidden! It's hardly like we buried it on an orphaned page or behind seven obscure hyperlinks or something, it's right there in the text. It's just the last thing on the list because it happens to be the last thing I added in when we rewrote the rules. Come one, trying to claim we're hiding it or something?

If you didn't like that rule which did you tick the box agreeing to it? We do listen to all criticism and regularly take suggestions from users - that's why we rewrote the rules in the first place. Just not in public so it can be done in a constructive way.

I had typed a response to this on my phone, but my phone ate it, but i'll respond when I'm back in front of a computer. In short though, private property does not take precedence over free speech; the board wouldn't be special for not having its either, I don't think it has been hidden, but that it is hidden, and people's viewpoints change over time. I'll expand when I'm in front of a computer.

I had typed a response to this on my phone, but my phone ate it, but i'll respond when I'm back in front of a computer. In short though, private property does not take precedence over free speech; the board wouldn't be special for not having its either, I don't think it has been hidden, but that it is hidden, and people's viewpoints change over time. I'll expand when I'm in front of a computer.

Can you provide some evidence of this freedom of speech thing? Everything I've ever read has made it quite clear that website operators are at liberty to decide what material remains on their websites. I'm not sure why you mention the 1st amendment of the USA constitution since this website isn't run by their Congress.

Just so you know, the whole free speech thing doesn't cover you to be able to say anthing anywhere whenever you want. For example you could get fired from work for publicly bitching about the bosses decisions and no-one would intervene so I'm not sure why you think the American government would care if you were banned from a messageboard for complaining about the moderators.

You get free speech, but it doesn't mean that private organisations have to put up with it if they don't like it, unless it's actually something serious.

Can you provide some evidence of this freedom of speech thing? Everything I've ever read has made it quite clear that website operators are at liberty to decide what material remains on their websites. I'm not sure why you mention the 1st amendment of the USA constitution since this website isn't run by their Congress.

Look at #36 (unrelated), pl0x.

Just so you know, the whole free speech thing doesn't cover you to be able to say anthing anywhere whenever you want. For example you could get fired from work for publicly bitching about the bosses decisions and no-one would intervene so I'm not sure why you think the American government would care if you were banned from a messageboard for complaining about the moderators.

You get free speech, but it doesn't mean that private organisations have to put up with it if they don't like it, unless it's actually something serious.

Yeah exactly. But by all means feel free to call the UN and complain because Niall deleted the rude comment about Kate Hudson on the Muse board or The Guardian website moderator #23 removed the trollish comment about how The Daily Mail is a much better newspaper if you want or any other of the many incidents that occurs continuously where a privately owned website removes user generated content.

That be grounds for unfair dismissal actually. Hence why my mum's partner got their job back after pointing out as such

Also, niall, you're appealing to absurdity. I'm pointing out that you saying that the boards status as private property affects free speech. It shouldn't.

Well I pointing out how ubiquitous and trivial this sort of thing is. If you think freedom of speech should extent to websites then ask your MP to bring it up in parliament, but that's how it works.

There's plenty of material online about it. See here for a good one.

Well I pointing out how ubiquitous and trivial this sort of thing is. If you think freedom of speech should extent to websites then ask your MP to bring it up in parliament, but that's how it works.

There's plenty of material online about it. See here for a good one.

I've just read that. I'm still on my phone which is what these are so brief, but in short, I have always felt that any area of discourse NEEDS to have freedom of speech where it doesn't infringe on people's right to protection from harm, otherwise you just create echo chambers which dont do anything good for anybody.

Archived