Muse in RockZone

Beibi

It actually translates to this "Chris's record (vocal register) is lower than his colleague’s". The french word "grave" refers to the vocal register.

Interesting. Quite a major difference in meaning, I wonder what the translator was thinking :LOL:

It actually translates to this "Chris's record (vocal register) is lower than his colleague’s". The french word "grave" refers to the vocal register.

No, that wasn't the other bad review. I agree in that description something was lost in translation & isn't negative.

I was actually talking about the T2L review in Spanish Rolling Stone (see last page(s) of that thread) where Save Me is called "autotuned nonsense". I'm thinking maybe the reviewer didn't even know it was Chris singing & thought it was Matt's autotuned voice :LOL:

Or, he simply doesn't like it :(

Interesting. Quite a major difference in meaning, I wonder what the translator was thinking :LOL:

I don't know, but "Chris' record was lower than his colleague's" didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I was actually talking about the T2L review in Spanish Rolling Stone (see last page(s) of that thread) where Save Me is called "autotuned nonsense". I'm thinking maybe the reviewer didn't even know it was Chris singing & thought it was Matt's autotuned voice :LOL:

Or, he simply doesn't like it :(

Well that reviewer also called Madness dubstep.

For real?

...Wow.

They're not that fucking big. I mean, they're hardly super obscure at this point and most people who are into that kind of music know them, but it's not a Coldplay-level blind spot he's flaunting.

I would have assumed he knew about them though, not even because of the music or anything but because Steven Wilson is a prominentish person in the music industry who's had good things to say about Muse on various occasions.

They're not that fucking big. I mean, they're hardly super obscure at this point and most people who are into that kind of music know them, but it's not a Coldplay-level blind spot he's flaunting.

I would have assumed he knew about them though, not even because of the music or anything but because Steven Wilson is a prominentish person in the music industry who's had good things to say about Muse on various occasions.

I know that, but honestly, NEVER heard of them?

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I'm quite sure I even read an interview once where Wilson said he loved Muse.

Edit: Mopman, I'd say that makes you a person that doesn't listen to or know that much about prog music.

I have no idea who Porcupine Tree are does that make me a bad person? :stunned:

Frankly, yes it does. Go and get Lightbulb Sun - it's the best prog album since the turn of the millennium.

Then get Deadwing, Stupid Dream, In Absentia and all their other albums, except the two latest ones which suck :awesome:.

Frankly, yes it does. Go and get Lightbulb Sun - it's the best prog album since the turn of the millennium.

Then get Deadwing, Stupid Dream, In Absentia and all their other albums, except the two latest ones which suck :awesome:.

Fear of a Blank Planet sucks? :LOL:

I think Matt does know Porcupine Tree. Where is the interview, in which he admits that he doesn´t know them? :erm:

Maybe he just doesn't like prog music? Although Lightbulb Sun can't really be called a prog album as a whole imo.

Fear Of A Blank Planet and The Incident are great, shut up. :awesome:Okay, the latter is not really that great, but still.

Fear of a Blank Planet sucks? :LOL:

I think Matt does know Porcupine Tree. Where is the interview, in which he admits that he doesn´t know them? :erm:

He says it in this Rockzone interview, apparently.

Scan nº 4 or Pag 45, Right column, 4th question:

-Bands like Porcupine Tree has also tried social criticism. ¿Are you interested?

-I dont know that band. In our youth we were influenced by bands like Rush, Primus, Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, even Deep Purple, which are progressive, so they are part of us.

I know that, but honestly, NEVER heard of them?

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I'm quite sure I even read an interview once where Wilson said he loved Muse.

Edit: Mopman, I'd say that makes you a person that doesn't listen to or know that much about prog music.

I didn't know about them until I came onto this message board :erm:... If I never came on here (or on Muselive) I would probably never come across them.

I didn't know about them until I came onto this message board :erm:... If I never came on here (or on Muselive) I would probably never come across them.

Well, maybe Matt should lurk more. :phu:

:LOL: Kidding. It's not that big a deal. It's just odd since I'm a big music fan and Porcupine Tree is pretty good. But then again Matt has said that he mooches music off of his friends' collections instead of exploring what's out there. Or was it Chris that said that? Someone did :shifty:. So maybe it should be expected.

I reread the interview, and I tried to translate some parts that I thought you may find interesting :)

In the process of trying new things, How many ideas go to the trash?

Dom: We don’t usually work on 25 songs to choose only 10 of them, we don’t work like that. We decide very quickly in which ideas we are going to work and which not. We know from the beginning which ideas we want to develop, and how far we can make them grow. So we only work on those.

I think this album sounds more organic than The Resistance. I don’t know if you’ve recorded it in a different way.

Dom: In some songs, yes. That was the intention, like in “Supremacy” or “Animals”. We wanted to play together, without complicating ourselves. Even though there are some weird guitar or bass sounds, everything is played live.

(Speaking about Chris’s songs) They're not the typical songs where you scream, they are very melodic and have some high notes.

Chris: Yeah. I’ve always been a big Beach Boys fan. And I like choral music too. The human voice is the purest instrument and I like that purity. I like that with the voice you can express emotions without even using words. The Beach Boys used their voices in a very elaborated way. (...) I have always been interested in that. I’m not saying that those two songs sound like that, but it’s what I like. I never liked to scream, but perhaps that’s what is expected from me (laughs).

So many bands seem to be afraid to grow, but you have always gone for it.

Chris: I don’t think you should be ashamed for being ambitious. There was a time where it looked like the cool thing was to say you didn’t want to be a big band, that you only wanted to play small places, and the truth is that I never understood that. Not saying it’s good or bad thing, but never understood it. If you don’t want to grow, if you don’t want people to listen to your music, you can always stay in your room playing the guitar (laughs).

Archived