Muse in RockZone

Beibi

They are in the cover of this Spanish Magazine, they have a long interview but it's the same old, same old. So I only translated the track by track. Sorry if there's any mistakes.

1209.jpg

• Supremacy: It’s the perfect song to open a Muse album, it offers what you expect from them. It has a seventies guitar riff and it sounds like a James Bond film. Matt Bellamy screams like he was Robert Plant.

• Madness: A change of direction. A basic song with a very good pop melody that reminds us to “Under Pressure” by Queen. The guitar sounds also like Queen’s “I Want to Break Free”. It makes sense it’s the first single.

• Panic Station: Again, the Queen Influence is evident in this song, it has a disco bass line. It could be a real hit on the dance floor.

• Prelude: An Anecdotal orchestral intro.

• Survival: The Olympic song that shows us Muse in their most epic version, again heavily influenced by Queen, with a neoclassical piano line and a choir.

• Follow Me: This song has a Musical feeling in the verses, but when the chorus starts it becomes a song you can dance to. Smells like single material.

• Animals: A dark song with clean bass and clean guitars. Sounds a bit like Radiohead.

• Explorers: A standard piano ballad. The melodramatic chorus where Bellamy sings “Free me from this world” could have been written by Keane.

• Big Freeze: Good rock song with a guitar that reminds us to The Edge.

• Save Me: One of the first Chris’s songs. This is a nice slow song, where Chris shows he can sing in falsetto too... The song is a bit too long, though.

• Liquid State: The other song by Chris, which explains why the strong bass line is the highlight of the song. It passes unnoticed.

• The 2nd Law. Unsustainable: It’s an instrumental song that opens with epic violins and a choir, that are interrupted by the controversial dubstep part. This song can be great live.

• The 2nd Law. Isolated System: Another instrumental song, it closes with a piano as the main instrument, it reminds us slightly to The Exorcist main theme, the song also has a voice talking over the instrumental part.

Thanks to Lestrange for the scans

Wait.. Liquid State passes unnoticed? I thought it was supposed to be the heaviest on the album? From recent interviews it sounds like Supremacy is the rocky rock track of the album then? :stunned:

I WANNA HEAR THE ALBUM NOWWWWWW

It's been said quite a lot but: heavy song =/= good song :p

I'm starting to feel scared by this album, it sounds like a compilation of random crazy ideas.

Wait.. Liquid State passes unnoticed? I thought it was supposed to be the heaviest on the album? From recent interviews it sounds like Supremacy is the rocky rock track of the album then? :stunned:

I WANNA HEAR THE ALBUM NOWWWWWW

Heavy doesn't always mean best. But to us, it'll be another unnoticed Hyper Music ;).

Really looking forward to Follow Me and Animals, also Liquid State.

Heavy doesn't always mean best. But to us, it'll be another unnoticed Hyper Music ;).

Really looking forward to Follow Me and Animals, also Liquid State.

True. If it's another Hyper Music I will freeaaak out :D:D

Sometimes you just gotta Wolstenbang your head though. I hope Liquid State delivers that :D

[*]The 2nd Law. Isolated System: Another instrumental song, it closes with a piano as the main instrument, it reminds us slightly to The Exorcist main theme, the song also has a voice talking over the instrumental part.

I assume that means it sounds like Tubular Bells?!

YES. That's one of my favorite songs of all time :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN9p-XCCRwU

The Exorcist theme is the piano intro, if I recall correctly

Queen, U2 and Radiohead.

Can't wait.... :rolleyes:

EDIT. Oh yeah, and Keane...

To be fair, this track summary was probably written up on 1 listen. When you hear a song for the first time, it's natural to make comparisons-- usually to what you already like, just to make it more relatable & familiar. You or I might agree with these influences, or find our own.

That's the 2nd reviewer that doesn't seem too keen on Chris' songs. Again, human nature-- if it's not what you're used to (Matt's voice) then it might not sit well on 1st listen.

Personally, I'm pretty excited, even if it's a hodge-podge of styles. :LOL:

To be fair, this track summary was probably written up on 1 listen. When you hear a song for the first time, it's natural to make comparisons-- usually to what you already like, just to make it more relatable & familiar. You or I might agree with these influences, or find our own.

That's the 2nd reviewer that doesn't seem too keen on Chris' songs. Again, human nature-- if it's not what you're used to (Matt's voice) then it might not sit well on 1st listen.

Personally, I'm pretty excited, even if it's a hodge-podge of styles. :LOL:

What other review wasn't too excited about Chris' songs?

What other review wasn't too excited about Chris' songs?

I think in general no reviewer has expressed enthusiams over them. Liquid State wasn't even mentioned in the Q review, and the very first track description by a French source said

"10. Save Me (5:09)

The break of the album comes with “Save Me,” on which Matt Bellamy leaves the microphone to bassist Chris Wolstenholme. The transition is somewhat confusing because the voices of the two musicians are totally different. Chris’ record is worse than his colleague’s.

11. Liquid State (3:03)

Liquid State is the second track composed by Chris Wolstenholme, and is undoubtedly the most rock of The 2nd Law. Chris’ voice is reminiscent of Maynard James Keenan, the lead singer of Tool, at times."

Archived