Sign in to follow this  
rockmuse1

Did Muse just "ebow the letter" the 2nd Law and their commercial viability?

Madness is probably one of the most commercially viable muse singles ever. Along with UD and Uprising. This is coming from someone looking at the American music scene though. Its tanking because it wasn't marketed at all and theres no video for it. Once it gets some more radio play (if it does) itll pick up.

I remember here in the states KOC was the first single to get radio play off that album and loads of play did it get. Multiple times a day on the same rock station. And then next came SMBH which got played for a couple weeks before it tanked and they went back to playing KOC. Must remember this was pre-twilight. And smbh did not sit well with Americans.

Agreed. If Muse can get radio play out of a song seven minutes long they'll do fine with this.

If Warner genuinely didn't care about singles then there wouldn't be this talk of Madness's "commercial viability".

And the problem remains that Madness spent only a week in the top 40 at 35 while it's been steadily gaining ground in the US. Why the discrepancy? Is the UK single market just not worth the effort to anyone who isn't Simon Cowell?

If Warner genuinely didn't care about singles then there wouldn't be this talk of Madness's "commercial viability".

And the problem remains that Madness spent only a week in the top 40 at 35 while it's been steadily gaining ground in the US. Why the discrepancy? Is the UK single market just not worth the effort to anyone who isn't Simon Cowell?

Muse want to get big in the US and they've already got colossal footholds in Europe. Dom said as much in the last Q feature, which suggests that their campaign is focusing largely on the States. Maybe that's the reason.

I think the quality of the previous album can have a great effect on it's follow-up, regardless of how much better, or worse, the following album may be. I also think it can impact the singles that go with that album as interest in the band will have faded somewhat. The Resistance isn't many people's favourite album and it's not quite as exciting or as surprising as Black Holes was, either.

I'm doubting whether they'll top the album charts in the UK this time. 2nd or 3rd seems quite likely though.

Except Survival was the first single, and it seems to be played quite a lot.

Only because of the olympics.

Terrible song writing.

I'm not sure they're all that interested in singles chart success. I think they - band and label - invest their efforts in album sales and tours etc, as that's what most of their promo/interviews etc centres around and probably where most of their commercial and financial success comes from. If they were really concerned with Madness making the top 10, say, wouldn't they have given radio stations the song weeks in advance of its release so people actually heard it and wanted to buy it, rather than having us hear it for the first time on the day of its release? Maybe I'm missing something, but that's how it's translating to me.

Only because of the olympics.

Terrible song writing.

Doesnt change the fact it was the first single and played everywhere

Madness is probably one of the most commercially viable muse singles ever. Along with UD and Uprising. This is coming from someone looking at the American music scene though. Its tanking because it wasn't marketed at all and theres no video for it. Once it gets some more radio play (if it does) itll pick up.

I remember here in the states KOC was the first single to get radio play off that album and loads of play did it get. Multiple times a day on the same rock station. And then next came SMBH which got played for a couple weeks before it tanked and they went back to playing KOC. Must remember this was pre-twilight. And smbh did not sit well with Americans.

Radio play varies so much in different areas of the US it's stunning, but overall SMBH did quite well in the US, considering.

I'm also pretty sure it charted higher than KoC, although KoC got more radio play in a lot of areas, depending on radio station genres.

It was the opposite, here. KoC wasn't "rock" enough for our rock stations, and not mainstream enough for Top 40. Since we had no "Alternative" stations, KoC was not played here at all.

In your opinion.

Too much Sippe influence in here. Stop it. Just stop it. :(

It was the opposite, here. KoC wasn't "rock" enough for our rock stations, and not mainstream enough for Top 40. Since we had no "Alternative" stations, KoC was not played here at all.

KoC not rock enough. :rolleyes: That´s what I call a shitty rock station.

Really, I think the promotion for T2L will definitely gain some momentum with the upcoming release of the Madness video.

Edited by Strangeseas

Muse want to get big in the US and they've already got colossal footholds in Europe. Dom said as much in the last Q feature, which suggests that their campaign is focusing largely on the States. Maybe that's the reason.

Its no surprise they want world dominiation and they really want to crack America as there are so many untapped sources of income, and many new fans that havent heard their old stuff played live (and never will do).

As for the no show of b-sides.. grab my bollocks! i can only hope those songs that never made it are kept safe for some future release, but i srsly highly doubt it.

Too much Sippe influence in here. Stop it. Just stop it. :(

KoC not rock enough. :rolleyes: That´s what I call a shitty rock station.

Really, I think the promotion for T2L will definitely gain some momentum the upcoming release of the Madness video.

There is no sippe influence :phu:

Agreed, KoC ROCKs!

As for the no show of b-sides.. grab my bollocks! i can only hope those songs that never made it are kept safe for some future release, but i srsly highly doubt it.

What songs?

muse are really successful in the us,

face it, MADNESS fell off the uk and german chart after only 4 and 5 weeks respectively

in the us, MADNESS is really successful, it was number 1 on the alternative rock songs for over 11 weeks !

it reached only # 60 on the billboard hot 100, but it is now on this chart for 17 weeks ! and has sold nearly 500,000 copies

my cousin visit me in 2007 and then i introduced him to MUSE, now he reported me, that they play MADNESS a couple of times on mainstream radio stations

they are really successful in the us, matt has a girlfriend named Kate hudson, they had a big hit with Uprising, it has sold nearly 2 million copies there, unbelievable, americans show taste of music

face it, MADNESS fell off the uk and german chart after only 4 and 5 weeks respectively

in the us, MADNESS is really successful, it was number 1 on the alternative rock songs for over 11 weeks !

it reached only # 60 on the billboard hot 100, but it is now on this chart for 17 weeks ! and has sold nearly 500,000 copies

my cousin visit me in 2007 and then i introduced him to MUSE, now he reported me, that they play MADNESS a couple of times on mainstream radio stations

they are really successful in the us, matt has a girlfriend named Kate hudson, they had a big hit with Uprising, it has sold nearly 2 million copies there, unbelievable, americans show taste of music

/Muse

"that they play MADNESS a couple of times on mainstream radio stations"

/Muse

"they are really successful in the us, matt has a girlfriend named Kate hudson,"

/Muse

But ya Madness has been successful in the US.

Cool, it's nice to know that MUSE and MADNESS are really successful in AMERICA now. I guess this really does definitively mean that AMERICANS have GOOD taste in MUSIC.

Cool, it's nice to know that MUSE and MADNESS are really successful in AMERICA now. I guess this really does definitively mean that AMERICANS have GOOD taste in MUSIC.

It does.

I'm surprised what is going on now on us hot 100,

the times in which the hot 100 was dominated by boring RNB and HIP HOP are history

FUN

GOTYE

ELLIE GOULDING

MUSE

FOSTER THE PEOPLE

CARLY JEPSEN

ALEX CLARE etc.

these are the people who rule the hot 100 now, 5 years ago they had not the chance to even chart on # 100 there

i analyzed the hot 100 over the years and found out, there is a strength trend to good music and also from europe

remembers me of the 80s in which also good european music ruled the hot 100

although i was born in 1985 :-)

but uk charts on the other hand suck, americans rule the charts for a couple of years

I'm sorry but i didn't intend to say that you guys do not know that Kate hudson is his girlfriend :-)

kate hudson a multimillionaire hollywood a list celebrity is dating Muse singer, which is not a bad indicator isn't it ?

look at chris martin

years ago they were unknown in the usa

kate hudson a multimillionaire hollywood a list celebrity is dating Muse singer, which is not a bad indicator isn't it ?

look at chris martin

years ago they were unknown in the usa

Is it an indicator at all? :LOL: :LOL: