Dave.

good idea. I'll start.

How can I sound like Josh Homme?

/impossible

But yeah, I'm interested in finding out a bit more about JF's setup, especially the earlier years. Someone said he recorded under the bridge on a solid state? what kind?

From what I've read he used a solid state because his regular tube marshalls couldn't get the 100% clean sound he wanted. I believe it was a fender solid state but I'm not sure. Just to clarify though he only used the solid state for the intro, everything apart from that was a marshall.

If you want JF tone then the basics you could go for is a strat into a wah (Ibanez WH10 (v2 if you cannot afford an original)), a fuzz (a fuzz factory with slight oscillation + wah gives an interesting sound during solos but a big muff is equally good tone wise), a distortion (Boss ds-2 is best, johns likes the mid-boost), a compressor and a reverb. Not really in that order but you get the idea. Amp wise it's marshalls all the way.

what's his amp setup exactly?

It's quite confusing, but I think I've worked it out...

Hayden MoFo head with 4x12 cabinet, and a Speakeasy combo always blended

Peavey Classic head and Peavey Classic 1x15 Cabinet

Peavey Delta Blues Combo

1959 Marshall Super Lead 100 into a cab that I havent worked out yet but I'm guessing a Marshall 1960A Cab

Fender hot rod Deville

those are all played through separately, blended with each other in different combinations....

I think. :stunned:

Doesn't he also have a backing guitarist for extra massive bits?

yeah mike vennart

Well the second guy might account for some of the amps.

nah all his amps are to the side, he has one or two, nothing special.

Simon's had the same set up for years. all those amps are definitely his :LOL:

Guest Batman.

inb4 how to be gsk

And I don't know if it's just Simon Neil or not, but Biffy Clyro's guitar tone is among the best I think, sounds massive

Yeah Harley, Mike doesn't actually add much. I heard them sound checking as a 3 piece and Simon was playing his parts on his own, sounded HUGE.

And James, he uses loads of guitars... thousands of strats, gretsch, a tele i think, his Mansons, a flying V... I think there are more

Phill, Biffy are fucking amazing.

Archived