Muse in Spanish Rolling Stone and Italian Vanity Fair

Livs

I wasn't aware that Matt was a Bowie fan. Not that that means anything. :chuckle:

Perhaps he just thought - vampire - theatrical and dark - and David Bowie was the first person who came into his head.

He possibly hasn't spent a lot of time contemplating whose blood he would suck if he was a vampire.

But yes it is a rather pointless question without an additional question to find out why?

Kind of like - who would you like to build a house with? David Beckham. Okay.

Course the vampire question is slightly more loaded, but I'm not going to go there. :LOL:

I hope that we have a lot more interviews of them together, at least Matt and Dom together, like in the old days. I would miss those warm, funny interviews if they stopped happening. Incidentally, I do like the interviews with Chris as well.
They have had this rotation system for a pretty long time, it's not new :) I suppose it's mostly for whenever they have a big press day with many interviews. It is easier to have all the journalists interviewing them individually instead of queuing to get an interview with all 3 at the same time. Where inevitably Matt will end up speaking more than the other 2 because he is asked more questions and because he will interrupt the others :p

Yeah, quite sure Matt's a big Bowie fan. Don't you guys remember than GoTv interview back in 2006 or 2007 (Matt still had black hair and Dom was wearing something with horizontal stripes) where Matt and Dom were selecting videos and Dom was talking about Bowie and Matt kept going 'Bowwwie... Bow wow...' etc, interrupting him... The amount of eyerolling Dom did on that interview alone was legendary :LOL::LOL::LOL:

HA, it's still online :D

:LOL: :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Which is why he says he cooks pasta at lunch and not in the evening.

I don't see the big deal about Dom being annoyed or whatever in the first interview..? Tone can be lost in translation (english to spanish and then back to english) plus I can definitely see him chuckling as he said some of those things.

Hilarious that Dom says he has to play moderator between Chris and Matt... as I seem to recall Chris used to be the referee between Dom and Matt. Hmmmmmmmmmmm... sensing a pattern here.. :p:p:LOL:

Exactly, I read the Spanish version and didn't sound like Dom was pissed off at all.

Also the last part of the interview is missing.

I'm the one that translated the article from Spanish. Please forgive any mistakes-- Spanish was my only language till I entered school but at this point (born & bred in the US) not my best language anymore! Since it was so long & I've got a hurricane to prepare for, I wasn't about to translate from scratch, so I put it through google translate & fixed the things that didn't make sense.

I can assure you that Dom didn't sound pissed or annoyed at all at the question about not having a family. If anything, he was downright happy & proud to still be living the rock n roll life!

Yes, the last part of the article (Matt part 2) is missing, b/c I didn't get around to it till late last night. (I'll put in next post) Holy shit, it's a doozy-- be ready to get pissed at Matt (I sure was), coming down on other artists for not being socially/politically active enough-- including JayZ, Rihanna (wtf?), Coldplay(!) & the most heinous of all, RATM, which makes no sense whatsoever, b/c I've seen Morello on political talk shows in the past year pushing his causes! wtf Matt :rolleyes:

Last part of Spanish Rolling Stone:

MATT (2)

Do you feel comfortable talking about political and social issues?

Yes, of course. Shoot.

Do you miss the times when musicians had a more prominent role in the protest movements?

Very much so. I think pop has strayed from issues that really matter. They are too afraid. People are afraid of everything. So, just as people are afraid because they may lose their jobs, musicians seem to not want to risk more with political and social issues, as if afraid to upset someone. Even the largest and most successful artists seem gripped by terror. Everyone hides.

Do you wish Muse was a band with a major political component?

We are not a political band, but we have addressed these issues at times. Uprising in our previous album, addresses these matters. I do not think there are enough bands talking about what happens. I see people like Coldplay, Jay-Z, Rihanna and others and feel that they are not showing any sensitivity to what is happening. They don’t do anything. Don’t seem to realize what’s happening. Springsteen is the only one, perhaps. My biggest disappointment in this regard is Rage Against The Machine, as they are a political band and have been very quiet. It could be because they feel there’s no good reason to act now. In the 90’s they did a great job, but now everything is worse. I expected them to say something.

Rock is supposed to connect with the youth, but these days they don’t seem to want anythng to do with global matters. Wouldn’t it be terrible for this planet’s youth to grow up and the music world would not find out?

What happens, is that I think people are still in shock, but I think there will come a time when young people are going to do something big against all this. This is going to explode. It can’t continue that all properties are held by older people, young people don’t have access to any of that, or houses, or natural resources, nothing ... Youth don’t have the power to change things, and are kept away from everything that makes the world work. I think we will be the first generation that has it worse than their parents and grandparents. We must rebalance things, and that's going to happen, just hopefully without too much violence and, contrary to what you say, with all this accompanying musicians.

Were last year's riots in London a test that violence today is almost as useless as organized complaint?

I think that the riots were a symptom of frustration. The problem is that the riots gave criminals the opportunity to go out and loot. That made things go out of control. That small minority of criminals gave the media an easy target to forget the social and political component and leave it all a big joke. I hated that the media too soon forgot the social element of exclusion and frustration in the riots and had to focus on the stolen TVs.

If all you get from a riot is a new TV and pair of sneakers, don’t you think you get better results with better organization?

I think after that younger people realized they were far more dangerous to the system if they were organized than if they acted in chaos. Chaos is controlled with military and police. But organized movements are more complicated to manage for power.

Is the music industry also gripped by fear?

I think all industries are afraid. The only difference with the music industry versus the others is that the music industry has been suffering for a longer time. It has been sinking for a whole era. Here nothing surprises us, we are accustomed to it.

Last part of Spanish Rolling Stone:

MATT (2)

Do you feel comfortable talking about political and social issues?

Yes, of course. Shoot.

Do you miss the times when musicians had a more prominent role in the protest movements?

Very much so. I think pop has strayed from issues that really matter. They are too afraid. People are afraid of everything. So, just as people are afraid because they may lose their jobs, musicians seem to not want to risk more with political and social issues, as if afraid to upset someone. Even the largest and most successful artists seem gripped by terror. Everyone hides.

Do you wish Muse was a band with a major political component?

We are not a political band, but we have addressed these issues at times. Uprising in our previous album, addresses these matters. I do not think there are enough bands talking about what happens. I see people like Coldplay, Jay-Z, Rihanna and others and feel that they are not showing any sensitivity to what is happening. They don’t do anything. Don’t seem to realize what’s happening. Springsteen is the only one, perhaps. My biggest disappointment in this regard is Rage Against The Machine, as they are a political band and have been very quiet. It could be because they feel there’s no good reason to act now. In the 90’s they did a great job, but now everything is worse. I expected them to say something.

Rock is supposed to connect with the youth, but these days they don’t seem to want anythng to do with global matters. Wouldn’t it be terrible for this planet’s youth to grow up and the music world would not find out?

What happens, is that I think people are still in shock, but I think there will come a time when young people are going to do something big against all this. This is going to explode. It can’t continue that all properties are held by older people, young people don’t have access to any of that, or houses, or natural resources, nothing ... Youth don’t have the power to change things, and are kept away from everything that makes the world work. I think we will be the first generation that has it worse than their parents and grandparents. We must rebalance things, and that's going to happen, just hopefully without too much violence and, contrary to what you say, with all this accompanying musicians.

Were last year's riots in London a test that violence today is almost as useless as organized complaint?

I think that the riots were a symptom of frustration. The problem is that the riots gave criminals the opportunity to go out and loot. That made things go out of control. That small minority of criminals gave the media an easy target to forget the social and political component and leave it all a big joke. I hated that the media too soon forgot the social element of exclusion and frustration in the riots and had to focus on the stolen TVs.

If all you get from a riot is a new TV and pair of sneakers, don’t you think you get better results with better organization?

I think after that younger people realized they were far more dangerous to the system if they were organized than if they acted in chaos. Chaos is controlled with military and police. But organized movements are more complicated to manage for power.

Is the music industry also gripped by fear?

I think all industries are afraid. The only difference with the music industry versus the others is that the music industry has been suffering for a longer time. It has been sinking for a whole era. Here nothing surprises us, we are accustomed to it.

That is good from Matt. But I think he should comment on tax avoidance. ;)

Not sure whether he agrees with income tax at all, favouring land taxation, but unless there is a major overall, and a complete change in attitudes to land ownership, I can't see the likelihood of anything happening in the immediate future in that direction. Making housing affordable requires investment in building more housing for instance which requires the funds to do it. The Robin Hood tax, a tax on banking transactions has also been suggested as a way of avoiding cuts in services which are affecting the poor, including young people. If we're going to forget about relying on economic growth, there has to be another way to make it work and the only way that seems available to do that is redistribution. Fair redistribution so the extremely rich aren't able to find loopholes to get out of doing their bit.

Anyway interesting. I love that Matt comments on this kind of stuff. But I hope that he lives a lifestyle that supports his political commentary, at least to some degree. It's not all about making a case in the music as good as that is.

Yes, the last part of the article (Matt part 2) is missing, b/c I didn't get around to it till late last night. (I'll put in next post) Holy shit, it's a doozy-- be ready to get pissed at Matt (I sure was), coming down on other artists for not being socially/politically active enough-- including JayZ, Rihanna (wtf?), Coldplay(!) & the most heinous of all, RATM, which makes no sense whatsoever, b/c I've seen Morello on political talk shows in the past year pushing his causes! wtf Matt :rolleyes:

For RATM, their breakup happened at the most crucial time in politics and nobody else was there to lead the musical charge. Zack has been relatively quiet in speaking up about his causes compared to the late 90s era. But Tom is trying his best, he does speak out quite a bit and he was present at numerous Occupy rallies.

I'm not a Coldplay fan, but don't they do a lot for Amnesty International? And to Jay-Z's credit, he did help out during the 2010 elections to encourage young people to register and vote and publicly endorsed Obama's stance on gay marriage recently. I don't know about Rihanna, I just prefer to ignore her. :chuckle:

It is a bit confusing because I've seen Muse (i.e., Matt) talk quite extensively about the issues, but haven't seen them act upon them recently.

Muse (well, Matt) In Italian Vanity Fair This was translated by the lovely @1_Shine_ on Twitter, and i have just polished up the grammar in places :)

Vanity Fair: 'If you were a vampire, whose blood would you suck?'

Matt: 'David Bowie!'

Vanity Fair: 'What do you remember of Italy?'

Matt: 'Very nice. I had a house, a studio & a girlfriend there. Lived there for 3-4 years.

VF: 'I thought Follow Me was a song for Twitter!'

M: '[laughs] I didn't think about it that way! I was so moved by his birth so I recorded his heart beat.'

V.F: 'The first thing u did with the first money u earned?'

M: 'I bought a house for my mum. She deserved it as she didn't own one & a year later I bought one for my dad too'

Q: 'And for u?'

M: 'A car I always dreamed about, a Lotus' (Elise right? that he crashed i seem to recall...)

V.F: 'Have you ever met The Queen?'

M: 'No, but I would like to know what music she listen to when she is on her own.'

V.F: 'Is there anyone who has saved you from Madness?'

M: 'My son Bingham. Since he was born the only place I love to be is home.'

V.F: 'Ever met Kate Middleton?'

M: 'There is only one Kate in my life.'

V.F: 'In Survival you say: life is a race, has your life been a victorious one?'

M: 'Don't know, I come from a quite poor family, my parents divorced & I lived with my Mum for a long time.To be' in a band, make music & be on stage is a great achievement, but I don't consider myself a winner. Only the one with right spirit. That counts, no? To learn to fight.

V.F: 'What do remember when you first met Kate?'

M: 'We were at Coachella Festival in CA. She had no idea who I was, I played there 2 nights before and was just hanging out there. She was lost and couldn't find her friends, and there was no mobile signal, so i helped her out. I didn't recognise her either, even though I had seen her movies. But I just thought she was a gorgeous girl.'

V.F: 'And then?'

M: 'There was kind of a mutual feeling between us straight away. We watched a gig together and I called her a few days later. I told her: "I need to see you again". And she accepted.'

V.F: 'Can you cook?'

M: 'Sure. I can make pasta at home. I often cook them for Kate for lunch. She likes protein in the evening.' (i'm sure pasta is a carb Matt?!!??!)

V.F: 'Have you got a big house?'

M: 'Yes, I have, now.'

Q: 'Do you have a swimming pool?'

M: 'Maybe' [laughs]

V.F: 'Do you realize immediately if a song is the right one?'

M: 'I write with my heart & never think twice. Some times something strage & crazy comes out but the important thing is that it is sincere & instinctive.'

V.F: 'Is there any situation that makes your writing easier?'

M: 'When I miss a plane or I've had some unforseen moment. That's the good time for writing.Or when I'm left alone at home & everybody has gone. What is important is that it's an unexpected occasion.'

V.F: 'Now that you are a dad has the situation changed?'

M: 'I write only in free time, babies swallow you up. But that's alright.'

V.F: 'What do u dislike of this world?"

M: 'I think we've recently become too competitive & don't enjoy ourselves at the end since we are so obsessed by our targets.'

i saw somewhere, from this same interview, that matt mentioned gaga and madonna, why you dont included that question?

For RATM, their breakup happened at the most crucial time in politics and nobody else was there to lead the musical charge. Zack has been relatively quiet in speaking up about his causes compared to the late 90s era. But Tom is trying his best, he does speak out quite a bit and he was present at numerous Occupy rallies.

It is a bit confusing because I've seen Muse talk quite extensively about the issues, but haven't seen them act upon them recently.

Ya Tom is doing his thing as The Nightwatchmen. He has continued to be pretty political. He features on some shows every now and again. Always like hearing him talk.

Aside from making music and talking about issues I don't think Muse have done much. I know they donate to charity and they normally don't like to talk about those kinds of things. I think the last thing they did was support Killing In The Name Of for Christmas #1 Single. Great cause.

One thing. I wish he wouldn't put it over as a battle between older people and young people. It's not as if older people have decided "oh we'll keep it all for ourselves and give none of it to the younger people". If young people are finding it more difficult than their parents and grandparents (and that is possibly true) it's only because their parents and grandparents were born first at a time when things were better.

The reason it has got so difficult is because the market has been prioritised, because of neoliberalism, and there's probably plenty of young people who also support neoliberalism. There's also plenty of older people who are also struggling, particularly elderly women, some of whom are extremely poor. It's more about wealth, the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots", and politics than age.

Here is the Rolling Stone review of the album, sorry for the translation :$ I did my best but it really is a weird review.

A trip to somewhere

Muse records a transition album in their career. Where? Perhaps even they don’t know.

Muse. The 2nd Law

☆ ☆ ☆

The magic dissipates when the trick is revealed. But we must not be afraid, The 2nd Law doesn’t disclose any of the mysteries that have made Muse such a fascinating band. In fact, this album is one of those in which you risk losing the most fundamentalist fans, but at least the people who hate you will shut up for awhile. Seeing a band as contrived and overblown being adored by the authentic rock fans (in this aspect they are the new Queen), for those who appreciate technique above all things, although that technique comes flying on an UFO, enlarges the legend of these three guys.

Madness, the first single of the album, is an attempt to dubstep which ends up sounding like an old Geroge Michael song, outright and restrained. Perhaps this is the first time in a decade that you don’t feel the need of hiding under a table when you are about to hear a Muse single, just in case. The electronic aspect becomes more evident in two of the songs. Save me is an autotune nonsense, while Follow Me shows Matt Bellamy like a crooner, being one of the best cuts on the album. One of the things The 2nd Law will teach us, is that Muse may be reaching the limits of the concept that made them what they are. The Middle Earth war drums of Supremacy and Survival’s riff festival, are probably the most Muse sounding songs, and the less interesting ones on an album that sounds better when it walks instead of run, even if it is with borrowed legs. Like the ones from INXS in Panic Station, or U2 in Big Freeze. This kind of albums are called transitional because nobody knows where they are going. The 2nd Law is like Christopher Nolan’s Memento: You liked it as much as it irritated you. It seemed like a whim, but now you know it is an essential film to understand what he did later. The same may happen with this album.

Here is the Rolling Stone review of the album, sorry for the translation :$ I did my best but it really is a weird review.

A trip to somewhere

Muse records a transition album in their career. Where? Perhaps even they don’t know.

Muse. The 2nd Law

☆ ☆ ☆

The magic dissipates when the trick is revealed. But we must not be afraid, The 2nd Law doesn’t disclose any of the mysteries that have made Muse such a fascinating band. In fact, this album is one of those in which you risk losing the most fundamentalist fans, but at least the people who hate you will shut up for awhile. Seeing a band as contrived and overblown being adored by the authentic rock fans (in this aspect they are the new Queen), for those who appreciate technique above all things, although that technique comes flying on an UFO, enlarges the legend of these three guys.

Madness, the first single of the album, is an attempt to dubstep which ends up sounding like an old Geroge Michael song, outright and restrained. Perhaps this is the first time in a decade that you don’t feel the need of hiding under a table when you are about to hear a Muse single, just in case. The electronic aspect becomes more evident in two of the songs. Save me is an autotune nonsense, while Follow Me shows Matt Bellamy like a crooner, being one of the best cuts on the album. One of the things The 2nd Law will teach us, is that Muse may be reaching the limits of the concept that made them what they are. The Middle Earth war drums of Supremacy and Survival’s riff festival, are probably the most Muse sounding songs, and the less interesting ones on an album that sounds better when it walks instead of run, even if it is with borrowed legs. Like the ones from INXS in Panic Station, or U2 in Big Freeze. This kind of albums are called transitional because nobody knows where they are going. The 2nd Law is like Christopher Nolan’s Memento: You liked it as much as it irritated you. It seemed like a whim, but now you know it is an essential film to understand what he did later. The same may happen with this album.

Reviewer, I'm not sure Madness is dubstep.

Messy review (nothing to do with your translating skills though :) ).

Save Me is autotuned? :erm: Obviously, we'll have to wait until the album is actually out to know if they're telling the truth or not but still...

Then again, he called Madness an attempt at dubstep, so it could very easily be bollocks.

Save Me is autotuned? :erm: Obviously, we'll have to wait until the album is actually out to know if they're telling the truth or not but still...

Then again, he called Madness an attempt at dubstep, so it could very easily be bollocks.

Yeah, maybe the reviewer didn't realize it was another vocalist? :LOL:

Thanks, Beibi. I didn't type that up before b/c I wasn't sure there was much interest in a review. It's not bad (3/5 stars where 5 is rarely given), but as was said already, it's a messy review, b/c this person can't quite decide if they like it or not, or won't fully admit to liking it. Typical RS treatment for Muse, from what I've seen in the US version. :rolleyes:

But one thing is certain, with this review & the one in Q too -- big, bombastic Muse is considered tired /old /uninteresting, compared with new! improved! electronic Muse. This review goes a step further in saying this album is Muse in transition (away from the big tunes I assume) & I think he's right from what the guys have been saying in interviews. I do like the Christopher Nolan reference :D

Archived