Madness reviews

Magnolia86

So is this the much-touted new dubstep sound then? It begins with a “wub wub wub” sound, so it must be, but this isn’t the kind of wub-machine gun employed by Skrillex and co, it’s more “Wubbin’ you, is easy ‘cos you’re beautiful.” That’s right, Muse have taken the defining noise of ‘base music’ and used it to create slinky, soft rock sex music.

To say Muse sound a bit like Queen is neither new nor clever. But listen, this one sounds like late-period Queen: the Queen of the late-‘80s ‘Invisible Man’, when people didn’t like them as much as they used to. The melody also sounds weirdly like George Michael’s ‘Faith’.

Whether it’s in spite of or because of the above, ‘Madness’ is, nonetheless, a brilliant single. Propelled by a crisp beat, coloured by a great Matt Bellamy vocal it even packs in a squealing, Brian May-style guitar solo.

With the release of their Olympic theme, NME declared Muse had jumped the shark. With this one, they’ve tamed the shark, slapped a pair of wraparound shades on it and ridden it bareback to shore.

http://www.nme.com/reviews/muse/13603

Bet you never thought Muse would release something so singularly minimal as Madness as a single, eh? But the thing is, in amidst the squelchy syn-bass and beats lies a track so sleek that at times it almost feels like an R&B cut. Of course though, Madness also remains completely and utterly ‘Muse’; a powerful, accomplished ballad to rank up there with the likes of Invincible. And in choosing to whisper its words of love as opposed to the dictatorial bombast of Survival, it comes out as the infinitely better of the two. Wait till three and a half minutes into the track, when everything kicks in and the track becomes so devastatingly, arrestingly beautiful – Bellamy’s vocal delivering those final platitudes: ’come to me, just in a dream, come on and rescue me…’ as if he stood on the brink of a world crumbling away into nothingness, only him and his lover left to hear the words. It’s all at once both classically Muse in its scope, but something tantalisingly new – the band innovating and expanding in a way The Resistance only ever hinted at.

http://www.musiccitypost.tv/2012/08/21/muse-madness/

4/5

What’s this?

‘Madness’ is the second official single to be released from Muse’s upcoming sixth studio effort The 2nd Law, which is out on October 1. The band showcased the first single, ‘Survival’, at the Olympic Closing Ceremony last week, and ‘Madness’ is musically a far cry from its predecessor. The bombastic, grandiose dramatics of ‘Survival’ are exchanged for a relatively low key, (Muse? Low key?) synth-pop, dubstep influenced sound.

What’s it sound like?

After frontman Matt Bellamy threatened the hardcore Muse fan base with a dubstep-influenced album in promotional interviews, a mixture of panic and curiosity reigned in Muse land. However their throngs of devotees can rest easy, as ‘Madness’ does not stray too far from aspects of their 2009 album, The Resistance.

This is more ‘Undisclosed Desires’ than Skrillex. Bellamy’s wonderfully layered vocals -once again highlighting the classical training that has helped to elevate him to one of rock’s most powerful frontmen – hold the song together. This is not classic Muse, (New Born, Hysteria, Knights of Cydonia, in my humble opinion of course), but ‘Madness’ shows how the band refuse to be pigeon-holed by the Queen-influenced prog rock that brought them so much success.

What’s the final verdict?

‘Madness’ reflects Muse’s continually evolving sound, and should keep their fans on their toes. Definitely worth a listen.

http://rockandrollworld.net/rock/?p=20841

Rate : 3/5

Muse unveiled the Official Lyric Video for the lead single Madness from their upcoming 6th studio album The 2nd Law, slated to hit stores October 2. Pre-order it now here.

The track is available on their official website and on iTunes.

Muse Madness Review

Madness is a good electronic song with a very minimalist approach. It is also both creative and experimental. By cons, it is definitely a really bad choice for a lead single. The sound is hopelessly, very boring during the first two minutes. It makes you want to stop the song. It is also a little bit too “pro tools” in my mind. In fact, technology is great but the final result has no soul.

However, the most interesting moment kicks off at 2 minutes 40. It is totally different. The track takes you on another journey, inspired and ambitious at the same time. It also becomes radically unique and innovative.

All in all,this song is perfect for a C.S.I NY episode. If you like real instruments and the melody, Muse Madness is not for you. However, if you trust Muse, give them a chance. It is only one song.

http://evigshed.com/muse-madness-single-review/

Introduction

Madness is kinda just that really, madness! The song kicks off with a very simplistic drum beat that keeps through the entire song, with ascents of ‘Undisclosed Desires’ at the start, but Muse fans don’t fear, the highly expected epicness begins in the middle, just like on Olympic single Survival (review here), and thats when Madness’ true form shows, the inspiration from Queen and U2, add that epic Muse signature sound, ends the song brilliantly.

New Direction? Plus Influences

Everyone seems to be calling Madness a new direction for Muse, but if you look in the Muse back catalogue you’ll find many signs of songs like this coming, and even songs with a similar vibe, and those fearing a lack of guitar stomping anthems have no fear if Survival is anything to go by! Other influences have said to be from Queen’s “I Want to Break Free” and David Bowies “Scary Monster and Super Creeps” album, not to mention Muse’ very own “Undisclosed Desires”, with influences like that, how can you not have a great song on your hands”.

Song Meaning

The song seems to be about the mystery of a relationship, how feelings change and grow, madness growing in a relationship. Whilst the song never explains what it is, it explains how someone has seen the light and starts questioning the madness in a relationship after understanding problems and issues.”Now I have finally seen the light, I have finally realised, what you need”. Then the song kicks in to a very Queen-est guitar rift, then kicks off to the finale chorus, where both realise that they are actually in love, and the madness then makes sense. Its definitely been a while since a Muse love song and whilst this doesn’t kick off as sounding like a love song, it definitely ends like one and in true Muse fashion.

Summary

The song is a real ambitious first single for Muse, which is to be taken from the upcoming album ‘The 2nd Law’, the song is fresh, new, yet keeping that Muse signature at the end, I think after hearing Survival and now this, that The 2nd Law is going to be another Muse classic album.

4.5/5

http://rkukmedia.co.uk/2012/08/20/muse-madness-single-review/

So after the dire and pompous (lets be honest here) ‘Survival’ and the far more interesting (but still disappointing after the dubstep sample) ‘Unsustainable’, Muse have offered up the first single proper from ‘The 2nd Law’ the slow-burning ‘Madness’. On first play I am left underwhelmed. Something that the other two have also left me feeling. Yes there are fragrants of Queen and U2 built into the structure, yet I can also hear echoes of Ed Sheeran’s ‘You Need Me…’ too.

I think the main problem is, fans have built up a ‘sound’ for them based on the first 4 albums, which Muse have tried to move on from. In places it works, and in others it doesn’t. ‘Madness’ for me is fantastic in that it is trying to be something a bit different. It slow burns along with a low slung bassline and Matt Bellamy’s slinky vocals. It could almost be a duet with the robotic ‘Madness’ coming in and out of the verse.

The first third of the track has so much potential to go into something bigger. My grievances kick in as the solo starts. It is a lazy guitar piece compared to the squealings and fret shaking stuff we’re used to. The second half of the song starts to build up to what sounds like an over-used worn out cd sound, distorted and warping. As the vocals crash in and Matt reaches his higher notes, it almost becomes unlistenable. Thankfully this is only until the higher vocals have disappeared and the song fades out.

Muse have become a funny bunch these days, and undoubtedly this will divide fans and encourage the haters even more. I applaud them for trying to do something a bit different, but I cannot help but feel they are trying too hard. What the rest of the album sounds like I am intrigued to find out. Don’t get me wrong, of the three so far this is probably my favourite, but having followed their career since I saw them in Wolves Civic supporting the ‘Showbiz’ release. The magic has gone. It’s a good song, just not good enough.

7/10

http://www.wlv-soundcheck.com/single-review-madness-muse/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=single-review-madness-muse

Muse have never been a band to shy away from new territory musically; in fact, this fearless nature is what saw them become one of the most successful rock bands to hail from the UK for quite some time. Unsurprisingly, their upcoming release ‘The 2nd Law’ is anticipated, but are the singles living up to the hype?

Well, ‘Madness’ is better than their Olympic track ‘Survival’ – let’s put it that way. Stepping back from the raucous, soaring nature and lyrical cheesiness that in turn sounded a Queen Carbon copy, the band have toned things down for this single. Away from the pressures of representing their nation in the eye of the entire world, they’ve stripped everything back to basics. Even their experimentation is minimal, but it’s enough to hint at something new.

The dubstep influence is a subdued undertone as Matt’s vocals lightly overlap. It’s slow, restrained, as if they’re holding back. And – as the song progresses – it turns out they are. As if a switch is hit, the band momentarily return to the anthemic glory synonymous with their success, but it feels too little to make this a powerful track. Even the guitar flaunts sound very Queen-esque, the solo practically screams out Brian May. The links were there, but the massive comparison created from their Olympic song makes even this fleeting resemblance unavoidable.

Muse aren’t resting on one sound, that much is commendable, but you’ve got to hope that there’s something bigger in their hat than this. They just sound so “un-Muse” (yes, that’s now a term) because they’re too similar to other acts in their sound. In their experimentation they seem to have lost themselves. One can only hope this isn’t the case across the rest of their record.

http://indulge-sound.com/2012/08/20/review-muse-madness/

kicks off to the finale chorus, where both realise that they are actually in love, and the madness then makes sense.

4.5/5

http://rkukmedia.co.uk/2012/08/20/muse-madness-single-review/

:supersad: this is my relationship too aw Matt<3

I am surprised by NME giving it a

Positive review, and happy about the balanced opinion of the others :yesey:

The person who compared it to invincible though :noey:

Muse frontman Matt Bellamy wasn’t kidding when he said the group’s new music was partially inspired by Skrillex. While the first listen of Muse’s upcoming ‘The 2nd Law’ album, ‘Unsustainable,’ was full-on dubstep at times, the band’s official new single, ‘Madness,’ impresses with a more restrained electronic arrangement.

Some might wonder if Muse have in fact gone mad based on the opening few seconds. With digitally-altered vocals and a programmed drum beat more appropriate for a dance tune than a rock song, ‘Madness’ doesn’t sound like the Muse that established itself as one of the world’s biggest rock bands.

The track is both futuristic and retro, with whirring electronics balanced by small doses of Queen-like operatic harmonies and an unexpected guitar solo with echoes of Brian May.

Bellamy wrote the song with only a synthesizer and a drum machine after having an argument with his girlfriend. The real-life drama surfaces in lines like, “I need to know is this real love / Or is it just madness keeping us afloat? / When I look back at all the crazy fights we had / Like some kind of madness was taking control / I have finally seen the light / I have finally realized what you mean.”

Bellamy has called ‘Madness’ “probably my favorite song that I’ve ever written.” That’s a huge statement considering all of the band’s other hits, but we’re not going to argue with him. The unusual blend of sounds works far better than it probably should.

8/10

http://diffuser.fm/muse-madness/

:supersad: this is my relationship too aw Matt<3

I am surprised by NME giving it a

Positive review, and happy about the balanced opinion of the others :yesey:

The person who compared it to invincible though :noey:

Invincible is so shit compared to Madness.

And compared to many other Muse songs

Invincible was nothing special on the record (and people moaned about it all the time, like with GD or UD) but it was pretty good live. I certainly never cared much for it until I heard it live, totally one of those 'wow, where did this come from??' moments for me.

Pity they never once included it in the setlists after TR's release. Far, far better than say, Unintended.

Archived