The 2nd Law videos

Kati

Luxembourger Queen suggested starting a new thread on the Unsustainable video a while ago, and as the whole video is out and it's a bit difficult to follow the video bits in general discussion thread, I decided to create one for videos only.

There was earlier some discussion on what the people running in the video have to do with the theme, and now Tom has said we'll find out when video for Isolated system comes out. We can always speculate however... My guess is they are running away from the ugly truth. Better guesses?

Something else on the video: Are the blue things in the beginning of the video neurons? Brain cells? There are clearly some pictures of brain (tomography or something) and it lead me to the idea that in a way each persons brain is an isolated system. Yes there are ways to communicate with the environment, but senses are vulnerable and imperfect, and language, speech or written text, is also very limited way of communication. I thought that might the personal aspect of the isolated system theme, the ultimate loneliness of each person.

I also noticed in the video, that although in the trailer it seemed there is a couple running in the woods, in the full video it's obvious that those people are running only for themselves and don't give a shit about the others. (Of the couple on trailer the girl is left behind, that might be a coincidence though since the clip is not made specifically for Muse).

Also, on the trailer the news reader is shown in the robot screen, whereas on full video the screen frames have disappeared. Has anyone managed to make a slower version of the video to see what exactly are the distortions in the news reader clips? The distortions make me feel the newsreader is actually the robot, but sanitised or disguised - it's the robot screen that speaks frankly and directly, unlike the news reader.

Oh and I do wonder why the band is shown on the robot screen, but maybe that's simply because the band is supposed to be shown somewhere on a music video ;)

Any further thoughts on the video? Sorry I did not copy everything from the general thread, feel free to copy stuff from there if it needs more attention.

Just for anyone who still hasn't seen the original video that Muse used in the Unsustainable video. Here you can even see what exactly they are running from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArUFLpvIfLc&feature=plcp

Well that depends on whether Tom has adapted it. I am hoping that there is a little more depth to it than it being about pointy things coming out of the ground, though as I mentioned in the other thread, it reminded me a bit of Matt's explanation of Microcuts.

I don't mind metaphors and stuff but I was hoping that the theme to the album was a little more meaningful than a kind of Knights of Cydonia, sci fi fantasy. Though looking at Tom's recent tweet, I'm not so sure. :LOL:

Anyway interested in the OP's suggestions particularly the idea of the brain being an isolated system. That seems to relate quite closely to what Matt explained in the NME interview as the theme of Big Freeze, (was it?) of feeling an outsider in your own environment.

I was thinking more of the video relating to a relationship between organic matter and machine like systems and how they fit or don't fit together, hence conflict and chaos.

One of the main arguments against the science of economics is that its explanation of human behaviour is too limited and that when those limited explanations are applied to social systems the result is that they actually change human behaviour, sometimes to the detriment, replacing underlying social values with new values that are more selfish.

Going off a bit from the Unsustainable video, I wonder actually whether in writing Survival

(when it is related to the album rather than the Olympic theme) Matt is writing it from the perspective of - this is who we are, or from the perspective -- this is what our world has made us.

Because the thing is scientific explanations of who we are can actually make us think that that is what our species is like and that is what we have to be like if we want to fit in. So if it doesn't feel quite right but we can't quite understand why, or know whether we are the only one for whom it doesn't feel right, plus we don't quite know what's missing or how to make it better, then I suppose it could feel like we are isolated in our brains, outsiders, who are alien to our environment.

Don't know if that makes sense. :LOL: I think that if we analyse this stuff it's very possible that we go beyond the original meaning intended, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

Well that depends on whether Tom has adapted it. I am hoping that there is a little more depth to it than it being about pointy things coming out of the ground, though as I mentioned in the other thread, it reminded me a bit of Matt's explanation of Microcuts.

I don't mind metaphors and stuff but I was hoping that the theme to the album was a little more meaningful than a kind of Knights of Cydonia, sci fi fantasy. Though looking at Tom's recent tweet, I'm not so sure. :LOL:

Anyway interested in the OP's suggestions particularly the idea of the brain being an isolated system. That seems to relate quite closely to what Matt explained in the NME interview as the theme of Big Freeze, (was it?) of feeling an outsider in your own environment.

I was thinking more of the video relating to a relationship between organic matter and machine like systems and how they fit or don't fit together, hence conflict and chaos.

One of the main arguments against the science of economics is that its explanation of human behaviour is too limited and that when those limited explanations are applied to social systems the result is that they actually change human behaviour, sometimes to the detriment, replacing underlying social values with new values that are more selfish.

Going off a bit from the Unsustainable video, I wonder actually whether in writing Survival

(when it is related to the album rather than the Olympic theme) Matt is writing it from the perspective of - this is who we are, or from the perspective -- this is what our world has made us.

Because the thing is scientific explanations of who we are can actually make us think that that is what our species is like and that is what we have to be like if we want to fit in. So if it doesn't feel quite right but we can't quite understand why, or know whether we are the only one for whom it doesn't feel right, plus we don't quite know what's missing or how to make it better, then I suppose it could feel like we are isolated in our brains, outsiders, who are alien to our environment.

Don't know if that makes sense. :LOL: I think that if we analyse this stuff it's very possible that we go beyond the original meaning intended, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

There's too many tl;dr posts in this thread :(

I'd say twelve is more than "a couple" :pirate:

Yeah twelve sentences is pretty shocking. Possibly only accessible to those with PhDs. :D

Anyway a distraction from the 2nd law thread which I still haven't managed to read. It is true that it does take rather a long time to get around this board.

Yeah twelve sentences is pretty shocking. Possibly only accessible to those with PhDs. :D

Anyway a distraction from the 2nd law thread which I still haven't managed to read. It is true that it does take rather a long time to get around this board.

You didn't manage to read that, but you manage to post long stuff everywhere else? :LOL:

How do you tl;dr people manage in life, it you cannot manage to read more than a couple of sentences? :chuckle: But honestly no one is forcing you to read anything that you don't want to. :kiss:

I wonder this every single day. The internet has completely ruined our civilization...

I also don't know why you'd go to any "discussion" thread, and expect everyone to write in single sentences... :$

The T2L thread isn't filled with long posts... it's filled with single sentences about other bands, smilies, etc. :LOL: I'd rather read a few long posts, but everyone is entitled, etc.

OT: have Muse's videos ever really fit the "theme" of the albums, though? A lot of times I can't even really justify the video's theme with the song's theme.

Enter me...

Which is just a load of nonsense. The brain isn't isolated in any sense. The blood stream exists and consciousness functions on sensory input.

Maybe we'll ask the Paralympians how they feel about this.

What the hell as the science of studying the system that describes the exchange of things with value got to do with social values? Why has one facet of human behaviour become an argument about applying a general tool like science to a real world system>

I doubt he was thinking much at all really.

Doesn't make sense at all. Really doubt most humans are reflective of the fact we're just another animal, albeit a particularly fancy one, with regards to how we "should" behave. There is no "should". The conclusion we should draw is one a nihilistic, congnitive, naturalistic one.

Regarding the last part, I know this is something Matt discussed at one point, during his "I was searching for religion to avoid these ugly truths" phase... but of course, I don't have the articles/interviews to back it up anymore.

Maybe not as scientifically, but not everyone is fortunate enough to have had to chance to get their PhD... I know I wasn't. :( Thus, I don't really think any of this was INTENDED to stand up to that level of scientific scrutiny, when most of us just can't have that level of conversation about it anyways...

It HAS gotten people talking, which is probably more of the intent, anyways. If there was an intent.

How do you tl;dr people manage in life, it you cannot manage to read more than a couple of sentences? :chuckle: But honestly no one is forcing you to read anything that you don't want to. :kiss:

I try to avoid badly written nonsense and manage perfectly fine. In fact, I'm quite happy not to have read 50 Shades of Grey or theories about music videos.

Ok I read. It wasn't a good read.

:LOL::LOL:

Muse board.

Sadly ...

Enter me...

Bitch please, enter me...

I try to avoid badly written nonsense and manage perfectly fine. In fact, I'm quite happy not to have read 50 Shades of Grey or theories about music videos.

A woman who didn't read 50 Shades of Grey. Interesting...

Archived