Okay, so I finally sat down and actually read this thing.

multi-album stretch of sounding exactly the same.

I bet this "reviewer" would love Dragonforce.

indie darlings

This was the only part of the review that actually made me laugh.

the song itself is completely fucking unsustainable. It is as if someone had simply turned on the Muse Songwriting Machine, turned it to the “dubstep” setting, and left the room and forgot about the result.

Trying way too hard to be witty and clever. And tryhards are the worst.

+5

Would you say Muse is now more well-known/popular than Radiohead? Forgive the question but I've nobody else to ask.

I'd say Radiohead are more well known because of Creep and their reputation among the general public for being a 'depressing/weird' band.

I'd say Radiohead are more well known because of Creep and their reputation among the general public for being a 'depressing/weird' band.

The opposite here. Radiohead is barely known since they aren't on the radio often, Muse is a more popular band here due to most music listeners here who are inclined towards western mainstream pop and K-pop.

But then my country is just one dot on the world map. :LOL:

Radiohead are bigger than Muse, according to Last.fm listeners and plays. Considering that Radiohead have been around for much longer than Muse have and their fans are more likely to be older, diminishing the chances that they have a Last.fm account, it would seem that Radiohead dwarf Muse in size.

Very true but for me The 2nd Law and Muse are 2/2 - with 2 tracks out, we already have 2 of their worst tracks ever and 2 absolute & solid contenders as worst songs of the year (with the Survival as one of the most horrible Olympics songs ever).

It's funny. I read this and at the beginning I completely agreed. They are 2/2. Two fantastic songs to kick off an album. Then I continued reading ...

Radiohead are bigger than Muse, according to Last.fm listeners and plays. Considering that Radiohead have been around for much longer than Muse have and their fans are more likely to be older, diminishing the chances that they have a Last.fm account, it would seem that Radiohead dwarf Muse in size.

Muse fans on facebook > Radiohead

Unsustainable is not good based on Muse's other work; I love all things Muse...and have to admit that after seeing the trailer, listening to Survival (which is okay) and then listening to the full version of unsustainable...I am very nervous about The 2nd Law. I hope it is great....but you never know. :unsure::unsure:

+5

Would you say Muse is now more well-known/popular than Radiohead? Forgive the question but I've nobody else to ask.

I would say that Radiohead has more fans due to having been around longer (and things like Origin of Symmetry not getting a US release for a few years), but I'm willing to bet real money that Radiohead is not winning over new fans lately like Muse has.

The new sounds coming out of Muse this year may disappoint some percentage of old fans, but it is NOTHING like the disappointment that old Radiohead fans have felt over the last 5 years or so. 'The King of Limbs' turned the 'blips and bleeps' dial up to 11 - that is to say that it was constructed almost entirely out of sampled sounds, layered sampled vocals, and loops and drum effects. I don't think anyone who wasn't already a long-term Radiohead fan bought and enjoyed 'The King of Limbs'. I say this as a long-time strong Radiohead fan myself - they're one of my favorite bands, but The King of Limbs is an entire Radiohead album I almost never listen to.

To me, 'Unsustainable' is a big dramatic rock song with thrashing guitar and bass, heavy drums, and Bellamy's falsetto - pretty much true to Muse's style. Sure, Muse has gotten more operatic and orchestral lately, but that was always there in songs like Megalomania with its church organ and Butterflies and Hurricanes with its string backing.

I love Exogenesis, and Unsustainable seems a lot like that but with more metal thrashing, which is A-OK in my book...

The new sounds coming out of Muse this year may disappoint some percentage of old fans, but it is NOTHING like the disappointment that old Radiohead fans have felt over the last 5 years or so. 'The King of Limbs' turned the 'blips and bleeps' dial up to 11 - that is to say that it was constructed almost entirely out of sampled sounds, layered sampled vocals, and loops and drum effects. I don't think anyone who wasn't already a long-term Radiohead fan bought and enjoyed 'The King of Limbs'. I say this as a long-time strong Radiohead fan myself - they're one of my favorite bands, but The King of Limbs is an entire Radiohead album I almost never listen to.

The problem with King Of Limbs isn't that it was made with sampled sounds, layered vocals and 90% percussive instruments (as Sippe likes to put it). The problem is that it just very average. Normally they adapt to a new sound and they make a pretty good album but the King of Limbs had 3 good songs and 5 average ones.

I don't have much of an issue with the main criticism for the single, I mean fair enough in a way, but what the hell is this supposed to mean?

Popular “band” Muse have returned once more to the increasingly reluctant ears of the populace with another single.

What is the implication here? Muse isn't a band? Even if one thinks their music is about form over substance, there hardly is any question if they are a band by any conceivable standard of popular music of the 20th/21st century.

Way to sound like a dumbass by the second word of the review.

This. Even if you look through last.fm groups, regardless of what they are, 90% will have Radiohead as their top artist or close.

The new sounds coming out of Muse this year may disappoint some percentage of old fans, but it is NOTHING like the disappointment that old Radiohead fans have felt over the last 5 years or so.

The King of Limbs, maybe, but I thought In Rainbows was very well received.

I find it a bit unfair to boast about sales and popularity when Radiohead seems to intentionally shy away from the whole media thing. Even when they do participate they always do it in a weird way. In Rainbows was a massive album and that was basically given away for free and TKOL had a very low key release. Even the KOL b-sides, which I found to be much better than some of the songs on the album were released weirdly through mysterious vinyl releases that most of the public wouldn't even know about. For anyone familiar with Radiohead's tunes both released and unreleased, its pretty obvious Radiohead has the ability to make a melodically friendly sequenced album for the masses if they wanted to. I think part of the allure of Radiohead for some people is that they became the anti-U2 at a time when they could have dialed it in after The Bends. As far as being well received by the critics, Radiohead still has the edge over Muse in that area. The aggregator sites have the last 3 Radiohead albums rated higher than the last 3 Muse albums. To keep this on topic :LOL:...I would like to finish this off by saying that I don't like Unsustainable and I'll take any song on TKOL, including its B-sides over Unsustainable(and Survival).

Yup, not trolling either. I genuinely dislike Unsustainable. Codex is my least favorite track on TKOL, and Codex sounds like a masterpiece next to Unsustainable. (in my opinion)

Codex is the only "sustainable" of TKoL, imo.

TKoL is bad everday of the week. Even The Resistance is better...

And Unsustainable is better then 80% of TR

Codex is the only "sustainable" of TKoL, imo.

TKoL is bad everday of the week. Even The Resistance is better...

And Unsustainable is better then 80% of TR

I don't know how I rate Unsustainable compared to The Resistance. Its like comparing dog poop with elephant poop. At the end of the day both are still poop.

Unsustainable would be better than 80% of TR if it went anywhere/progressed. Unfortunately, it doesn't and is therefore very average. Uprising, Exogenesis, US, MK Ultra, USOE and IBTY are all better than it in my opinion.

I consider it like exo part 1, true, exo > unsustainable, but is overture > unsustainable? And Is exo > the 2nd law: parts 1 & 2?

I consider it like exo part 1, true, exo > unsustainable, but is overture > unsustainable?

Oh yes :yesey:

And Is exo > the 2nd law: parts 1 & 2?

I guess it depends on how Unsustainable flows into/ connects to Isolated System. I just feel that Unsustainable feels like it should've had a lot more to it and feels very short and half baked.

Archived