KITTEN TAB FACTOR ROUND 2 - I ballsed it up!

Larry.

Let's try again  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Let's try again

By answering this I'm telling which entry is mine, which would mean I'd have to disqualify myself.

I'm tell you in the love boat

well you said it last round already so I guess you better o disqualify yourself now then

To be honest I think everyone can guess who's who, for example Jamie cos he seemingly only has one toan! It's just a bit of fun trying to work who's who at first

Larry already inadvertently spilled the beans to me on who was who in the first round! Don't think he realised he'd done it though, haha! I'll go home and listen to these in a bit. Wish I'd done a bit better in my round 3 and 4 entries though to be honest. I can see them getting blown away in the next couple of weeks.

Jimbo's Thoughts:

1. Was alright. Bonus points for Biffy. Sounded slightly out of tune and too muffled.

2. Very nice.

3. Very confusing. I can't really hear the backing track, which makes the cover parts on top confusing without any sort of context for me to put them in. Mastering problems and out-of-sync parts take away from the performance. Sound is pretty thin, too.

4. Diggin' the ambient-ness. Diggin' it. Actually, just diggin' the whole thing. Really a lot.

5. NICE '60s blues toan and feel. Hard choice between 4 and 5 so far.

6. Initial reaction: OMG FOO FIGHTERS :awesome: Good playing so far, if that's kept up it'll be a very convincing performance for me. Aaaaand.....it does. So well done. Mind blown.

7. Same as 3 in the poor mixing, but the playing was good. Liked it.

8. Mix is good. Playing is good, but I don't like the song.

9. Sounds thin - some attempt at remedying that should've been made, but other than that sounds really good. Playing is good. This one's got to be James.

10. Same as 3 - poor mixing gives little context for the playing. Sounds alright, albeit a tad sloppy. Dig the trem flutters in the second verse, however. IMO, needs something like a tad of reverb or chorus to sweeten the clean sound, which is fairly dry.

Hard time between 4, 5, 6, and 9, but in the end I have to vote for 6. Frankly, it's fantastic in every way. The playing is tight, focused, and spot-on, the mix is good, and I'm highly impressed by the self-made MIDI tracks. Additionally, the cherry on top was the improved bits during the bridge and outro - much like Hod7ube (or whatever his username was), the entrant manages to keep the original spirit of the song while adding their own tasteful licks in appropriate places, although I think the solo during the outro could've ended sooner. Lastly, absolutely fantastic playing. Really well done. Also doesn't hurt that I love the foo Fighters ;) Really hope that wasn't MFC....

Might do one. What's the next round?

No Biffy bonus points for no 3?

And why do you hope it wasn't me?

And have you listened to round 1's entries?

And I know them all I think. I recognise the voice in the last one, but I dunno the song.

No Biffy bonus points for no 3?

And why do you hope it wasn't me?

And have you listened to round 1's entries?

And I know them all I think. I recognise the voice in the last one, but I dunno the song.

Probably didn't realise cos it was new. I actually preferred that one to the first

Cos he thinks you're a dick

Have you Jimbo?

I tihnk I know them ish

[HIDDEN=Thoughts]Entry 1 - I'd never give high marks for difficulty on this song in all honesty, but I have to admit I was impressed by the execution for the first minute or so. Very crunchy. There were parts after that that could have been smoother in my opinion though, and the second half doesn't feel as clean as the first, but that's just my perception. Nicely done though, and a really clear recording.

Entry 2 - Nice choice of song, sir! Always love playing this one on guitar but there's a lovely bit of bass in there too, as you demonstrated pretty much perfectly. Not sure what else to add really. Shame about the occasional bits where you couldn't do a whole lot more with the slow repeated notes, as that's obviously not really conducive to showing off your technique, but I thought the rest was really nicely done.

Entry 3 - I feel like I recognise this for some reason even though I have no idea what or who it is. Anyone care to enlighten me? Nice playing anyway, and a nice clear sound.

Entry 4 - Another nice song choice. The volume shifting backing track can be a bit distracting at times, but I think the general feel of the song is caught pretty nicely in the playing. Not quite perfect, but I'd expect the odd inaccuracy over the course of nine minutes. Pretty well put together though, I think, so not a bad job done there.

Entry 5 - Man, that's some nice bluesy tone, I love it. I might have to play with my amp to see if I can get something similar actually, although I might not have the ideal pickups for it. Might be one for the custom's midi stuff. Man, that's nice though. Brilliantly played too. My favourite so far by a long shot.

Entry 6 - Ha, after seeing the comments about a Foo Fighters cover, how did I know it was going to be this song? Holey moley, though I'm impressed. Faultless in every way. That was amazing. I'm just speechless. You've not just blown everything else away this round, but last round, and everything in the last competition too...I really don't know what else to say...Consider my vote won...

Entry 7 - Wow, I'd never have expected anyone to play this! I expected stuff like Rage, Biffy, Foos, etc, but not this. After those first 10 seconds, I was actually chuckling to myself wondering if it would just be 5 minutes of feedback, but having this song start was the last thing I was ready for. Not listened to this in ages. A really nice recording though. The wah possibly jumps out a bit too much compared to the rest of the song, but then that's what it's meant to do I suppose, haha! Shame the rest of the song doesn't give as much room to show off though. Good stuff in the song choice and solos anyway!

Entry 8 - Well, I suppose the run had to run somewhere. No idea what this is, haha! Not sure what to say to it really. Gets more catchy as it goes on, and it's played well enough, but there doesn't seem a whole lot to make a decision off apart from that one riff throughout. Maybe it's just got the misfortune of being down here in the list order so I've already listened to a couple of really good entries, or that it's just harder to judge without knowing what I'm basing it on. Not really your fault though. Sorry.

Entry 9 - Not listened to this in ages either. That intro confused the hell out of me though, haha. Lovely playing but some really distracting volume and tone shifts in the chorus. I feel kind of sorry for you to be honest. If #6 hadn't entered, this would still probably be getting my vote every time, but as it is, nothing really comes close to that one. Lovely cover though. Just a few distractions when shifting between sounds to work on, and maybe speeding up the end of the solo a bit. Nothing you don't already know I'm sure.

Entry 10 - I don't know this one either, but I like the sound of the playing. Appropriate to be the last entry I listen to as it's getting late and it's very relaxing. Nice work, I have to say, brilliantly done towards the end in fact, but again, blame #6 for being awesome, I'm afraid! You might come second in my opinion if it makes you feel any better![/HIDDEN]

Some great entries but #6 was just phenomenal...

I try to be, so thanks...

That's cool, I've not heard any of the new Biffy songs yet. Same as I've not heard any of the new Muse songs yet. I'd rather wait and listen to the album in one go before judging them.

I try to be, so thanks...

That's cool, I've not heard any of the new Biffy songs yet. Same as I've not heard any of the new Muse songs yet. I'd rather wait and listen to the album in one go before judging them.

Well there's only one new Muse song out so far :LOL:

And the new Biffy songs are :awesome: I took the same stance as you but it was kind of hard to block my ears during the gig, lol.

Archived