1st Single Announced // New Album Release Date

KirkBot

WTF. Why has it been pushed back to 1 October?! What the heck is the point of a countdown on the website when all this time we've been counting down to the wrong date and now have to wait another half-a-month for the album?! Not happy. It's been completed for fecking ages now, so I can't see what the hold up is.

Anyways, let's hope the Madness release date is accurate!

WTF. Why has it been pushed back to 1 October?! What the heck is the point of a countdown on the website when all this time we've been counting down to the wrong date

It is quite funny to have a countdown that proves to be wrong. :LOL: I'd love to hear old undiplomatic Matt comment. :LOL:

I just realized that classes start up again at my college on the day "Madness" releases. I'm going to miss listening to the BBC Radio stream of its premiere. :(

Gonna be in class for the release of the album too. The original release date was going to be a little way of celebrating my last week of summer, but NOPE.

Gonna be in class for the release of the album too. The original release date was going to be a little way of celebrating my last week of summer, but NOPE.

The original release date was the day of the week I have classes in the later morning. My plan was to get up early, go buy the CD and blast it with the windows rolled down on my way to school.

I guess Madness and Survival will have to do until October.

Im really new to this whole album sale thing, but imo 3 anticipated albums in 1 month isn't a disaster. Fans are gonna buy the album anyway, and the rest are probably pirates?

Or do "normal" people really go into a music store and buy an album because they feel like it? Nobody shits money tbh. I'd understand if it was Christmas but September/October?

Im really new to this whole album sale thing, but imo 3 anticipated albums in 1 month isn't a disaster. Fans are gonna buy the album anyway, and the rest are probably pirates?

Or do "normal" people really go into a music store and buy an album because they feel like it? Nobody shits money tbh. I'd understand if it was Christmas but September/October?

The week around 15th September is a busy one - beside the three mentioned, No Doubt, Mika, Pink, Skunk Anansie, Nelly Furtado all release new albums. Well... Muse, up until yesterday...

The problem is that a lot of people haven't got enough money to buy 3 albums at a time and you're not going to wait till you have the money to listen to the album so you'll probably just download one or two of them. Casual fans are more likely to buy all three releases if they are staggered rather than all released in the same week.

Also the more staggered the releases are, the more times a customer will have to walk into their local HMV and they might spot something they want in the sale etc. each time they go in, thus increasing sales.

Why the hell would this not be the second single?

It's the first 'official' single, the one the label will promote etc. I think Survival' would be considered a 'buzz' single rather than a proper one.

The truth of the matter is that "die hard" fans who are anticipating an album are not enough to make it successful... and that more casual or impulse buyers are not going to shell out money for a ton of CDs/iTunes purchases on one day.

Especially not these days.

Going up against the Killers and some of those other artists, even if they did manage to come out on top, would still have potentially taken money away.

And, unfortunately, charting is important... because people automatically associate that with something being "good." :(

It's still obviously the second single though...

I can see that point of view, but its hardly 'obvious'.

Survival was a pre-release track, but it had no video, and very little promotion. The only thing about it that was single-y was that you had to pay for it.

I guess a similar example would be Apocalypse Live. It was released separately, you even had to pay for it, but it was really just made to promote something else, in the case of APL the first official download chart.

It's such a pointless argument... A song released from an album as a standalone thing for either purchase or radio play is a single. And we've had one. So the next is the second! I don't get these weird reevaluations of what Survival was to fit in with the idea that there is a more first single single than the first single. Seems a bit like trying to have your cake and eat it.

It's such a pointless argument... A song released from an album as a standalone thing for either purchase or radio play is a single. And we've had one. So the next is the second! I don't get these weird reevaluations of what Survival was to fit in with the idea that there is a more first single single than the first single. Seems a bit like trying to have your cake and eat it.

This is kind of where I make the distinction. Was Survival pushed for radio play? Obviously it was going to get some playtime because Muse are huge, their fanbase are ravenous, and they have an anticipated album coming out. But I barely heard it on the radio so it doesn't seem like it was pushed at all. Coupled with the fact that it doesn't have a video and to me it seems like just a track that was released early. But single? Is any new track made available to purchase a single?

Archived